How to safely reuse your sanitary and N95 face masks

rooster59

How to safely reuse your sanitary and N95 face masks

By THE NATION

800_9bf32535db7220d.jpeg

UV-C sterilisers can effectively kill the Covid-19 virus and allow you to reuse your sanitary and N95 face masks, research shows.

Assistant Prof Dr Thaya Kittiyakorn from Internal Medicine Department, Faculty of Medicine Ramathibodi Hospital, and Suratchanee Sawetsila, Director of Drugs and Narcotics Office at Department of Medical Sciences, revealed their research result that UV-C sterilisers could effectively kill germs, including the Covid-19 contagion, on sanitary and N95 face masks, making them safe for reuse.

“The UV-C sterilisers are commonly available at medical equipment stores and they could help reduce the mask shortage problem that medical staff all over the world are facing,” said Thaya.

“Using UV-C radiation can sterilise masks without damaging or straining the fiber. Although sterilisers can clean a face mask up to eight times, we recommend reusing a face mask only four times before throwing it away for sanitary reason.”

They added that they had recommended to the Ministry of Public Health to provide UV-C sterilisers to hospitals nationwide, as well as sourcing for additional manufacturers both domestic and overseas to prepare for increased demand in the future.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385406

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-04

Not quite the medical version, but for a bit over 3,100 Baht this ought to do the job. You'll have to turn the mask around to clean both sides, but for a family using it several times a day it's not over-expensive.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/220-uvc-led-i860020178-s1737978721.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.24.326e7bd06kQbX9&search=1

51 minutes ago, lelapin said:

Is placing a mask in a microwave for a short time any benefit in keeping it reusable

Yes, the info is from here https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/microwave-mask-disinfect-covid-virus/

This site has the best researched info.

Bottom line on microwaving masks to disinfect viruses:

Microwaving items that are contaminated with viruses can work to inactivate the virus. Data shows that you should microwave at 600W or higher for at least 2 minutes to deactivate viruses. However, microwaving masks isn’t recommended. It can be tricky and potentially destructive to your mask. You need to first ensure all the metal has been removed from the mask, and be careful that microwaving for 2 minutes doesn’t damage the mask or set it alight.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, monkfish said:

What about putting them out in the Sun that would be a cheaper source of UV light?

Bingo. I do that everyday already. Not sure whether it is effective but hours of heat should kill it.

• Like 1

Please google, but there are a few options to get some limited extra use out of your surgical masks :

- Oven - tried this yesterday- 15 minutes at 120 Celsius. Mixed results, I have 3 different brands of mask, 2 were OK, one developed a strong cocoa smell (weird) so I binned that one. If you wanted to get more medical about it, I suppose you could replicate an autoclave and put some water in there as well to make a steam bath. 

- I would guess that washing and leaving in the direct UV bath of Thailand’s sun for a good few hours would also be fairly effective.

- Sticking them on a colander over some boiling water for 10 minutes

- Someone showed me a video from Taiwan, where they are putting masks in rice cookers (no water) for 8-10 minutes.

Keep in mind the advice in the OP, even doing these things, you should probably use a mask maximum of 5 times.

If you have a few masks at hand, good to rotate them as well, ‘sterilizing’ as above and leaving well alone for 2-3 days will help keep them cleaner. 

1 hour ago, kevin612 said:

How can Thai people afford UV-C sterilisers? Most of them can’t even afford N95 masks.

If you don't use them for a while the virus will die anyway, i thought it was 5 days but that's in a cool climate.

Thai can hang em in the sun, plenty of Uv there i guess.

18 minutes ago, Greg O said:

Worn panties are much more comfortable and get great response. Prefer black lace G strings ...Easy to clean but for that soft touch hand wash and sun dry . Add some sexy perfume and wellah !

Used G-bangers always caused me to chaff when out jogging..... I then found comfort fabric softener.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lelapin said:

Is placing a mask in a microwave for a short time any benefit in keeping it reusable

The metal staples attaching the elastic bands would be a problem.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lelapin said:

The metal wire on the nose part might create sparks and burn the mask completely

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sensei said:

The metal wire on the nose part might create sparks and burn the mask completely

Totally forgot about that nose piece, (good call) but the staples I knew cuz' I needed to fix one recently.

Here in the UK I have a couple of P2 disposable masks which I bought for jobs around the home but now use for trips to the supermarket. You can’t wash them as they will deteriorate and possibly fall apart with new ones being like trying to buy hen’s teeth in all the normal suppliers now. Therefore I came up with this solution?

Take a small pump spray bottle such as used for mosquito repellent, rinse it out well and fill with isopropyl alcohol, min 70%. Then when you finish wearing your mask, simply just mist the inside and outside before placing back in a sandwich bag to keep clean ready for next time. I was listening to a phone in yesterday with one of the resident doctors on BBC Radio 2 and some guy called in who was using a similar procedure only using hand sanitiser.  The doc said it was a great idea only that by using hand sanitiser, the oils in the product to condition the skin would eventually clog up the mask. Therefore I suppose just isopropyl would be better. 

• Like 1

Our cloth masks go in the washing machine on hot, surgical masks get a hand was (as hot as I can stand).

Dry in the sun and all day UV from the sun too (I've ordered a couple of 25W UVC lamps, they may arrive before this has all blown over).

Then a blast from Madam's steam ironing thingy (no starch).

Anything that can survive that deserves to rule the universe. 

• Like 2

1. IF there are no metal parts to the mask, then a microwave used as a flash steamer can generate sufficient heat to decompose the fatty/ protein layer that encases the RNA of a virus. (This was one of the early uses for microwaves - to replace autoclave machines in hospitals) Use one of those microwave cooking trays with a tray for water, a shelf for holding the veggies and a cover to contain the steam. Put it on high and give it 4 minutes to be very sure.
  2. If it is a cloth mask (preferably with an interlayer that is a non-woven breathable fabric) basic laundry washing, or washing with soap and water is again sufficient to break the protective layer and kill the virus. Extra safe, iron it when dry!
  3. If the mask has metal wire and if you have an oven, preheat the oven to over 75ºC (even better 93ºC) While oven is heating, place mask(s) in a paper bag. Once oven is a temp, place the bag containing the mask in the oven for 30 minutes (use a timer)
  4. If none of the above are options, it is best have 9 masks and rotate them to wear each only after it has been stored in a plastic bag for at least 9 days - preferably with exposure to direct sunlight.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, EricTh said:

If there are small holes in the condoms after washing, then it is rendered useless. Condoms are inexpensive, why bother.

Because you took seriously what Don Mega told about his condoms? ????

• Haha 3

According to this article and the research paper it's based on, a surgical mask impregnated with salt will destroy the fragile outer membrane of many viruses (including the novel coronavirus) and render them inactive. I've been soaking our masks in a salt solution and then drying them in the sun.

A salt coated mask that kills viruses

• Like 1

Yes, I mentioned building a box out of cardboard and a germicidal light here I think in January. Works fine, but the real problem is N95 masks are really cumbersome to wear for more than 15mins. So we opted for a far better option: isolating at home. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

According to this article and the research paper it's based on, a surgical mask impregnated with salt will destroy the fragile outer membrane of many viruses (including the novel coronavirus) and render them inactive. I've been soaking our masks in a salt solution and then drying them in the sun.

A salt coated mask that kills viruses

That makes sense, but the soaking is likely to change the structure of the mask fabric. That's why I prefer germicidal lights.

One really simple thing is if you have an oven, heat to 60 degrees celsius and bake them for half an hour or so. The rubber straps might deteriorate though.