Herd Immunity vs Lockdown

frantick

Herd Immunity vs Restricted Rights by Age Group  

239 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

29 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The only other way to achieve herd immunity is to let everyone who can be infected, get infected, and the survivors will have acquired a natural resistance to the virus.

it was rumoured that this had been discussed by the UK government. When the question if this was government policy was put to Matt Hancock by Andrew Marr, the answer was to a different question.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

18m deaths from heart disease. No lockdowns of fast food. No panic.

Roads kill 1.25m a year. No lockdowns of car factories. No panic.

Conjob19 is here.

Not to mention the 400,000 (4million over the last 10 years) flu fatalities.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Swimfan said:

For those who talk about only so many dying.for everyone one that dies there will be 20 in hospital requiring  intensive treatment for recovery. Where are these kind of resources going to come from. 

Drugs out soon enough. Good early trials.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

money vs lives is really what is being asked here..

Not much point being alive if nothing worth living for- marriage destroyed from being cooped up together for weeks/ months, no job, no house because no job= no money = no rent/ mortgage= eviction, no future.

If I get this virus I will probably die, but I had no hesitation ticking first box.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The only option is to manage deaths as a direct result of this virus. Do to this we have to have health care facilities which are not overwhelmed. 

People are indicating that the death toll will be worse due to the world economy failing? 

How exactly? where are all these people going to die? Yes, there will a knock on effect and life may be tough. 

There are also theories that the economy will bounce back and recover within a few years. 

Either way - how is it possible to predict increase in deaths due to a failing economy vs the predicted deaths of a virus which can be modelled? I suspect there is also modelling at play which shows deaths, poorer quality of life etc.

But could millions really die as a direct result of a poorer economy?

I’m interested to learn where these deaths will come from?

Less money to research illnesses? depression? (people topping themselves) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JackGats said:

Many countries are under stay-at-home orders stricter than the one that was in place in London during the blitz, the difference being that during the blitz goods and food went on being produced.

Countries except China scuttling themselves to prevent people who would have died by their 83rd birthday from dying at the age of 81. This beggars belief.

The food was scarce & rationed. Your comparison is flawed.

• Like 2