Herd Immunity vs Lockdown

frantick

Herd Immunity vs Restricted Rights by Age Group  

239 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, UbonThani said:

Like the co2 people

Global warming got changed tp climate change

Now nothing

Well, with airplanes parked on the runways, only a few in the air, large factories closed, ppl not driving on the roads etc.

That has put this topic on hold for the moment I guess

8 minutes ago, RedPill said:

Like the co2 people

Global warming got changed tp climate change

Now nothing

Well, with airplanes parked on the runways, only a few in the air, large factories closed, ppl not driving on the roads etc.

And while it [the human influence on climate change] is an important issue, it has no immediate relevance when compared to the imminent threat to millions if this virus is allowed to spread out of control.

Sort out the immediate problem. Then hopefully the world is a better place when we come back to it and we can sort out the issues which don’t immediately threaten the lives of millions within the next few months. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Surasak said:

I am very much inclined to agree. The question being, 'Is it a con job'? So I will ask all who subscribe here to state, Do you personally, 100% know, anyone who has died from this virus? Might sound a silly question, but of all my friends, of which there are many and my family both here and abroad, none have been able to point to one single case, of either suffering or death directly attributed to this virus.

I have heard people mention this conspiracy theory before, that it's fake, but why? in terms of do you know anyone you could also say do you know anyone who died of cancer, road accident etc, even though they are big numbers, I don't know anyone

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
27 minutes ago, Surasak said:

I am very much inclined to agree. The question being, 'Is it a con job'? So I will ask all who subscribe here to state, Do you personally, 100% know, anyone who has died from this virus? Might sound a silly question, but of all my friends, of which there are many and my family both here and abroad, none have been able to point to one single case, of either suffering or death directly attributed to this virus.

I have heard people mention this conspiracy theory before, that it's fake, but why? in terms of do you know anyone you could also say do you know anyone who died of cancer, road accident etc, even though they are big numbers, I don't know anyone

I know of one death (someone a friend knew, I didn’t know them). I don’t know of anyone else who actually has Covid-19. Although it was reported in the news that someone in our Moobaan had it last month (they were in self quarantine already with symptoms). 

This lockdown is about exactly that though - preventing a situation where each of us can say we know someone who has died as a result of Covid-19.

I know people who have died of cancer. I think most people do know someone who has died of cancer. If Covid-19 reaches the same scale, then we will all know someone who has died of Covid-19 - that in itself is devastating when when isolation could have prevented this in such numbers. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

in terms of do you know anyone you could also say do you know anyone who died of cancer, road accident etc, even though they are big numbers, I don't know anyone

Cancer 4 (CM 2)

HIV 2 (CM 1)

RTA 1 (CM)

Liver failure (CM) 2

Falling in shower (Chiang Mai) 2

Falling from Balcony (while Ladyboy in room CM) 1

Not to mention Dave2, a popular TV photo poster who died with no cause of death stated.

(I went drinking in LK, having coffee around the moat and the occasional dinner with Dave)

All next door neighbours, people I drank with regularly, and 2 were best friends I saw/talked with every day.

Maybe you ain't old enough or aren't mixing with party people.

Edited by BritManToo

18 minutes ago, RedPill said:

Co2 con artists back next year.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Cancer 4 (CM 2)

HIV 2 (CM 1)

RTA 1 (CM)

Liver failure (CM) 2

Falling in shower (Chiang Mai) 2

Falling from Balcony (while Ladyboy in room CM) 1

Maybe you ain't old enough or aren't mixing with party people.

in the last month or so, wow that's bad

• Haha 1

On 4/4/2020 at 1:15 PM, BritManToo said:

The only other way to achieve herd immunity is to let everyone who can be infected, get infected, and the survivors will have acquired a natural resistance to the virus.

I haven't seen that there is solid, definitive evidence yet, proving that people who have had CoVid-19, acquire immunity to it. It's certainly to be hoped but we can't be 100% sure yet.

On the contrary, there have been a number of reports of people who have had it and recovered, being re-infected.

I know there have been suggestions that some of those reports may have involved erroneous test results but again, we don't know that for sure.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

And while it [the human influence on climate change] is an important issue, it has no immediate relevance when compared to the imminent threat to millions if this virus is allowed to spread out of control.

Sort out the immediate problem. Then hopefully the world is a better place when we come back to it and we can sort out the issues which don’t immediately threaten the lives of millions within the next few months. 

So why have the con artists told us for 20 years co2 is a killer?

Corona will be lucky to kill 500k.

Mass con job.

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

in the last month or so, wow that's bad

last 5 years ........

I can't see where your post specified last month?

Average age 55 (a few around 40, a couple were 70).

Edited by BritManToo

Personally, I know no one who has died, or is suffering, from an onset of the novel coronavirus.  I know perhaps 10, who have died from suicide, and another couple who have died from road accidents.

As I have stated elsewhere, the cause of deaths in the upper age range are more likely due to longevity and underlying medical conditions rather than the virus itself.  However, if even minuscule amounts of Covid-19 are present at death, the mortality is attributed to the virus and not the underlying causes of the death.  Personally, I find this mystifying, and it is another reason why conspiracy theories are rife.

And what about heavy, or lifelong, smokers.  Their lungs have surely been compromised over the years.  Where does one read that the state of a deceased's lungs were the contributory fact to a death attributed to coronavirus? Surely, many of the elderly who have passed were smokers, yet, I have yet to see any stats in that regard? Perplexing, to say the least!

Edited by allanos
typo
  • Confused 1

On 4/4/2020 at 1:02 PM, dabhand said:

Am over 60 and had no problem ticking the 1st box.

Understand the issues connected with potential overload of medical facilities going for a herd immunity, but consider the clear economic damage of a lock down to be a worse scenario. My view.

Am looking at how Sweden are approaching this with great interest. Wish them all success.

You can go for herd immunity in a small country. It will be tougher in a larger country. They were thinking about it in England for a short while, but they anticipated about 260k deaths. So instead they went with plan B, lockdown. 

58 minutes ago, Surasak said:

And it is extremely unlikely that you ever will.

The virus itself does not kill. or all infections would result in death. The danger comes from the body's reaction to the virus and the weaker the immune system the more devastating the reaction can be.

• Like 2

On 4/4/2020 at 7:49 AM, sandyf said:

it was rumoured that this had been discussed by the UK government. When the question if this was government policy was put to Matt Hancock by Andrew Marr, the answer was to a different question.

That is correct.

Boris was initially in favour of herd immunity but the projected death figures presented to him ( I think from a team at Imperial College ) were so horrendous that he changed tack.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2020 at 1:02 PM, dabhand said:

Am over 60 and had no problem ticking the 1st box.

Understand the issues connected with potential overload of medical facilities going for a herd immunity, but consider the clear economic damage of a lock down to be a worse scenario. My view.

Am looking at how Sweden are approaching this with great interest. Wish them all success.

I'm with you. The Swedes are approaching this mess in the most sensible way. They are generally smarter and more educated than the rest of the world though  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/4/2020 at 2:33 PM, Brewster67 said:

Sweden, no lockdowns, pubs open, no fines or curfews, zero restrictions.

Average rate of new cases daily

Sweden = 9%

UK =13%

USA = 15%

France = 20%

Never seen those percentages before. Interesting.

2 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

The lockdowns will result in a broken world economy with millions of livelyhoods permanently trashed, and will not, repeat not, get rid of the virus. Herd immunity was, and is, the only way to go.

Yes, i think the virus is the side show, people should be focusing on the economy but all they can think of is stop the virus and lockdown, they really need to open their minds.

i recall a guy kept phoning a radio station insisting their must be a full lockdown etc, he then lost his job and his life

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, stuandjulie said:

Because eating junk food is a choice, catching a virus isn't DOH

Obviously you don't understand how viruses work. You cannot catch a virus if you dont stay close to people and wash your hands.

4 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

not true, Dengue fever is a virus, passed on by mosquitoes, no human contact involved, same with Malaria.  Viruses can be transmitted in a whole host of ways, human interaction being the least infectious and hardest to transmit. Covid 19 just happens to run counter to that norm. 

Buddy, I was talking about Conjob19 not Dengue.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

So why have the con artists told us for 20 years co2 is a killer?

Corona will be lucky to kill 500k.

Mass con job.

I'm not going to debate Climate Change with you - thats for a completely different thread and (outside of your mind) completely unrelated to Covid-19.

[Corona will be lucky to kill 500k - Mass con job] a rather strong claim that. 

The projections of the worlds experts is the best mechanism for projecting the spread of this virus. 

What did you use other than a dash of paranoia and comfort that your opinion has no impact on the lives of millions?

Fortunately, when dealing specifically with Covid-19 the governments worldwide are paying attempt to informed experts and not ‘keyboard sceptics’ claiming ‘con-job’ from the comfort of anonymity.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

Buddy, I was talking about Conjob19 not Dengue.

That is not what you wrote mate. 

quote: "you cannot catch a virus"

Edited by Pilotman