Therapeutics Will End The Panic

patsfangr

10 minutes ago, patsfangr said:

the sky is not falling. We'll come out on the other side of this without a worldwide depression.

If what you are saying happens, I agree.

Otherwise, I fear a worldwide depression is the only result.

23 hours ago, AussieBob18 said:

TDS is deep in that one - very deep.

Getting back to the post _ I hope you are right. And I agree that a medication that relieves the symptoms or even cures, is exactly what is needed to get rid of this madness.  

A medication that cures is exactly what is needed. Trump could not have stated the obvious any better than you have.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Stocky said:

You've got to be kidding me, the guy's a snake oil salesman.

Sure there are old drugs that they're looking to re-purpose, drugs in development that could also be re-purposed. But there's a lot of work needed to evaluate what may work, what doesn't work and then correct dosages, which patients will benefit and at what stage in the illness.

So 'perhaps a month or two' is complete pie in the sky - a Trumpian salve to the masses.  

Wrong, doctors have said this. In 2 months they will know what existing drugs work well. From July the death toll will falla lot.

Mass panic over a minor problem

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Everyone wants effective treatments asap. But any treatments that are widely adopted need to be tested for efficacy and safety. Yes compassionate usage should be allowed for otherwise hopeless cases. Otherwise untested treatments can potentially make case that would have otherwise recovered worse. Yes also of this process should be speeded up as much as possible. But we should follow scientists about this not politicians. To assume that there will be some kind of miracle treatment developed very quickly is obviously happy talk wishful thinking. That is not at all likely. Have hope but avoid false hope. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Saw this but it is in vitro - don't see any corroborating reports in humans and it is one study (albeit from respected University). I could be wrong and maybe it does have direct action on Covid RNA.

Edited by mokwit
  • Like 1

The OP says it's "hydroxychlorophine" which I believe is a mispelling - it's actually hydroxychloroquine, or just plain ol' chloroquine which is commony prescribed for malaria and lupus. Yes, it is being trialled in the US and some other countries in tandem with azithromycin (Zithromax), and it was proven successful in China, but both drugs together or on their own are capable of causing you a heart attack because they interfere with the QT rhythm interval in your heart. In Thailand hydroxy is only available when prescibed by a doctor. See here at the CDC website for details of the trials: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/therapeutic-options.html

You can buy Zithromax OTC here, and I can tell you from experience that it DOES work, or at least it did for me when I got a pretty serious dose of COVID-19 a couple of months ago and self-medicated; but don't take it if you have any type of heart or blood pressure condition. This virus was so bad I told my wife on Day 8 that I was dying, but on Day 11, just three days after starting the Zithromax, I woke up as if nothing had ever happened, though I do have lung damage and the dry cough persists even now.

Her indoors got a much milder dose, but I had nearly every sympton you hear of, probably the worst being the waterfall of fluid out of the back of my nose which, if it flows to your lungs will give you the killer pneumonia. It was all I could do to keep swallowing it instead, because the sore throat that comes with this is like nothing you've ever experienced, and I went three days without sleep, too scared to lie down in case I forgot to swallow it. And that was with a fatigue unlike anything you've had, and a 400lb weight sitting on my chest so that I could only sip air. Don't believe that it's like the 'flu - it make you the sickest you've ever been, and that's from a bloke who survived pancreatic cancer. This is way worse, but you CAN survive it. Stay well, one and all.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Buffy Frobisher said:

on their own are capable of causing you a heart attack b

Any drug can kill in high doses. Water can kill you.

There's been like 2 or 3 deaths in decades.

Enough with the negative stuff.

• Sad 1

On 4/4/2020 at 3:12 PM, Stocky said:

You've got to be kidding me, the guy's a snake oil salesman.

Sure there are old drugs that they're looking to re-purpose, drugs in development that could also be re-purposed. But there's a lot of work needed to evaluate what may work, what doesn't work and then correct dosages, which patients will benefit and at what stage in the illness.

So 'perhaps a month or two' is complete pie in the sky - a Trumpian salve to the masses.  

Ditto!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, UbonThani said:

Shame on you. Comes from Aussie doctors.

Shame shame on you.

Stop scaring people with far left wing nonsense.

Science hopefully has no wing. It's about the scientific method and indeed it is you and people like you making wildly premature claims about as yet unproven treatments that are playing the sickest kind of political games. Not only unethical from a medical POV but indeed deeply immoral. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, UbonThani said:

Sadly you are posting nonsense. These drugs have been around for decades. Mostly safe. Testing is finding 90% success rates under 6 days. They are doing multiple trials to test combos and dosages to maximise results.

Shame on you. All you have done is scare people with nonsense and hate on Trump.

You really should apologise for such poor scare mongering.

You're being deeply disingenuous now. 

I was talking about them as an as not yet proven treatment for Covid. 

Not about the proven usages for other conditions. 

I agree to keep on testing that and other potential treatments as well. 

It is premature for anyone to scream Eureka. 

1 hour ago, Buffy Frobisher said:

The OP says it's "hydroxychlorophine" which I believe is a mispelling - it's actually hydroxychloroquine, or just plain ol' chloroquine which is commony prescribed for malaria and lupus. Yes, it is being trialled in the US and some other countries in tandem with azithromycin (Zithromax), and it was proven successful in China, but both drugs together or on their own are capable of causing you a heart attack because they interfere with the QT rhythm interval in your heart. In Thailand hydroxy is only available when prescibed by a doctor. See here at the CDC website for details of the trials: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/therapeutic-options.html

You can buy Zithromax OTC here, and I can tell you from experience that it DOES work, or at least it did for me when I got a pretty serious dose of COVID-19 a couple of months ago and self-medicated; but don't take it if you have any type of heart or blood pressure condition. This virus was so bad I told my wife on Day 8 that I was dying, but on Day 11, just three days after starting the Zithromax, I woke up as if nothing had ever happened, though I do have lung damage and the dry cough persists even now.

Her indoors got a much milder dose, but I had nearly every sympton you hear of, probably the worst being the waterfall of fluid out of the back of my nose which, if it flows to your lungs will give you the killer pneumonia. It was all I could do to keep swallowing it instead, because the sore throat that comes with this is like nothing you've ever experienced, and I went three days without sleep, too scared to lie down in case I forgot to swallow it. And that was with a fatigue unlike anything you've had, and a 400lb weight sitting on my chest so that I could only sip air. Don't believe that it's like the 'flu - it make you the sickest you've ever been, and that's from a bloke who survived pancreatic cancer. This is way worse, but you CAN survive it. Stay well, one and all.

Hi there. 

Thanks for reporting your experience. 

You had a near death experience and it sounds like an unlikely recovery. 

The latter part is wonderful. 

However and I reckon you already know that report is a perfect example of an anecdotal report. 

It's not proof that you wouldn't have recovered without that med. 

It's not proof that it would generally work or be safe for all or most covid patients. 

Of course at the stage you took it you understandably were not concerned with safety. 

I would have tried anything at that stage as well. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Science hopefully has no wing. It's about the scientific method and indeed it is you and people like you making wildly premature claims about as yet unproven treatments thatmore are playing the sickest kind of political games. Not only unethical from a medical POV but indeed deeply immoral. 

More terrible negative stuff from you.

Your glass is half empty approach to life is no good to anyone.

Just another Trump hater who is glum.

Edited by UbonThani
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, UbonThani said:

Wrong, doctors have said this. In 2 months they will know what existing drugs work well. From July the death toll will falla lot.

Mass panic over a minor problem

There is no cure for colds or flu period. The flu vaccine improves your immunity by introducing a milder or dead form of the previous flu to increase your immune systems resistance to it. Next year we will have a “flu shot” for this years virus just like every other year.