A Northern Holocaust?

Lacessit

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

@Lacessitwant me to start checking the courses in Cambodia?. They have some kiddie ones that would be pefect for those massive 50 meter drives you manage off the tee.

Stand 50 meters from the tee. Give me 5 shots. You'll be ducking for cover like an American in Iraq after the first, if it has not collected you.

However, thank you for thinking of me. I do need a golf fix.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, spiekerjozef said:

The immune system is working 24 hours a day because of the bad PM 2.5 readings. It will only make you stronger.

Sitting inside with clean air purifiers makes your immune system weak.

You do win my prize for nutty logic. I suppose you have supplements of strychnine and cyanide you ingest daily, for the same effect.

• Like 1

Just now, Lacessit said:

You do win my prize for nutty logic. I suppose you have supplements of strychnine and cyanide you ingest daily, for the same effect.

Arsenic was big in the olden days. Ask Florence Maybrick.

8 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Arsenic was big in the olden days. Ask Florence Maybrick.

In the Basque region of Spain, some villages ingest it to acquire shiny skins. Same effect with silver, a condition called argyria. Right up your alley, you can admire yourself in congress with a Basque maiden. Dammit, stop luring me off topic.

Edited by Lacessit

1 hour ago, Blue Muton said:

"destruction or slaughter on a mass scale, especially caused by fire or nuclear war."

I'd say theat's what he means, a holocaust, as opposed to the holocaust.

None of the above really, and why go to a dictionary to look up the meaning of the word 'holocaust' as the usage of this term immediately and automatically conjures up the atrocities perpetrated by Nazi Germany on millions of people, a calamity, a disaster and catastrophe would have been more suited terms to use, here...

2 hours ago, Logosone said:

Curfew from 6 pm to 6 am.

That's the tourist industry killed off then.

So you basically want Thais to starve to death?

I

Last time I looked, the tourist industry is already killed off.

Thais won't starve to death. Barter in the villages for food and services has been going on for centuries.

I'd just like them to realise the money they might make out of mushrooms is swallowed up by their reduced life spans, and healthcare, which could well be swamped by what is coming.

Keep the non sequiturs flowing, you are entertaining in a schadenfreude kind of way.

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

None of the above really, and why go to a dictionary to look up the meaning of the word 'holocaust' as the usage of this term immediately and automatically conjures up the atrocities perpetrated by Nazi Germany on millions of people, a calamity, a disaster and catastrophe would have been more suited terms to use, here...

Well I can differentiate between a holocuast and The Holocaust, I know full well what The Holocaust was, thank you and I've never been one to deny or belittle it, one of the greatest attrocities in the history of mankind.

Nothing short of a massive wind and rain storm is going to have an impact this year but I am encouraged by a groundswell of Thai comment and activism online recently.  It is after all their problem to solve not ours.  It is going to take some time for a new generation of Thais to come to power but I believe they are waiting in the wings for their opportunity. ????

44 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Last time I looked, the tourist industry is already killed off.

Thais won't starve to death. Barter in the villages for food and services has been going on for centuries.

I'd just like them to realise the money they might make out of mushrooms is swallowed up by their reduced life spans, and healthcare, which could well be swamped by what is coming.

Clearly the tourist industry will come back, but not if there are mandatory curfews from 6pm to 6am.

Isn't it the farmers, sugar cane and such, rather than mushroom hunters, that are causing the fires?

22 hours ago, CharlieK said:

And you think rural Thais won't set fires prior to the new growing season! 555

Didn't you know?  Once you go below a certain socioeconomic class you become innocent and virtuous, living at one with nature and never doing anything wrong.  As you go up the classes, however, you become evil and exploitative, turning into a faceless corporation and it doesn't matter if you lose your income or your children starve.

"Real communism has never been tried!"

• Like 1

After 2019 smoky season, which I watched from remote, I said I will give it another year to see if it is always like that (new pattern) or if it was an exception.

I am now not in CNX but I was there in December/January, which caught me totally by surprise that they now burn 6 months per year instead of the already long 3-4 months before.

There is nothing you can do apart from leaving/moving which I will do too after that virus thing when I am able to return to Thailand.

Do not waste your time:

- measuring AQI (it is bad anyway so just use your purifier)

- listening to people who tell you it is no problem

- listening to people who complain about it all day and tell you what Thais should or should not do - will not change anything

Something in Northern Thailand obviously has changed. So much more to burn. I do not know what it is - e.g. more forest burning, mushrooms, corn fields, or corporate burning. Whatever it is - it does not matter because it has changed and is here to stay.

The days of "I live in Chiang Mai for 9 months of the year" are over. It is a constant thing now.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, cerox said:

After 2019 smoky season, which I watched from remote, I said I will give it another year to see if it is always like that (new pattern) or if it was an exception.

I am now not in CNX but I was there in December/January, which caught me totally by surprise that they now burn 6 months per year instead of the already long 3-4 months before.

There is nothing you can do apart from leaving/moving which I will do too after that virus thing when I am able to return to Thailand.

Do not waste your time:

- measuring AQI (it is bad anyway so just use your purifier)

- listening to people who tell you it is no problem

- listening to people who complain about it all day and tell you what Thais should or should not do - will not change anything

Something in Northern Thailand obviously has changed. So much more to burn. I do not know what it is - e.g. more forest burning, mushrooms, corn fields, or corporate burning. Whatever it is - it does not matter because it has changed and is here to stay.

The days of "I live in Chiang Mai for 9 months of the year" are over. It is a constant thing now.

No, that's absolutely not true. I was here in November and December and it was nowhere near as bad as it is today.

Not even close.

You could easily do the 9 months thing.

Personally the poor air quality has me considering my options due to the quality of life factor.

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

Clearly the tourist industry will come back, but not if there are mandatory curfews from 6pm to 6am.

Isn't it the farmers, sugar cane and such, rather than mushroom hunters, that are causing the fires?

If you live anywhere near Lamphun or Lampang, you wouldn't say that. True, sugar cane, corn and the rice fields contribute. That's mostly very dry stuff. It's the moister ground cover in forests that produces more of the nasty particles.

I don't recall suggesting the 6pm to 6 am curfew would last indefinitely, just long enough to fix the problem.

49 minutes ago, Logosone said:

No, that's absolutely not true. I was here in November and December and it was nowhere near as bad as it is today.

Not even close.

You could easily do the 9 months thing.

Personally the poor air quality has me considering my options due to the quality of life factor.

... but hardly any "green day" ...

... but already a lot of unhealthy days ...

(in 3 months time only 9 "green days", probably rainy days!!!)

Bildschirmfoto 2563-04-05 um 14.36.02.png

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Holocaust

Is that really the appropriate word here?

If I had used a title such as the Northern Holodomor, nobody would have known what I was talking about. Although that man-made disaster was arguably worse on sheer numbers.

I've been to the Holocaust Museum at the Elephant and Castle in London, no disrespect was intended. However, I don't think it's a word reserved for single use.