Looking to purchase a Motorhome

On 4/4/2020 at 10:32 PM, Optomist said:

OK thanks, I've had a look at these and have now decided that the best idea is to convert a van as I'll have plenty of time. 

If anyone knows of where I could purchase a Van, ideally a LWB high roof of some sort, ( Transit type van) second hand, I would be very grateful. I haven't seen many vans on any of the local websites. Anyway as always, any information will  e gratefully accepted. 

What about the slightly larger mini-vans that provide passenger service.

Must be some second hand ones available in the resort areas parked up?

micro_bus_Thailand-1.jpg

Triple-T-Bus-Exterior-View.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Is that the one just after the 7/11, near the temple?

I think the OP may need a bit more help than that..

This will help find it....although it will be pointless going there......as I pointed out...... it only sells touring caravans

Screen Shot 2564-04-16 at 03.24.06.jpg

35 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

This will help find it....although it will be pointless going there......as I pointed out...... it only sells touring caravans

Screen Shot 2564-04-16 at 03.24.06.jpg

Was staying right next door to this place last weekend. Can confirm it’s right near the temple with the orange roof. No 7-eleven though.

All the campers I could see from the road looked old and unusable. But might be a few fixer-uppers in there.

On 4/14/2021 at 12:38 PM, Andy from Kent said:

Do you suggest he buy one of these before or after he wins the National Lottery?  ????

I bet a lot of these are going begging these days--no tourists--can't keep up the payments.

The problem has always been selling the unnecessary seats.

This place is in Wang Thonglang area and seems to have a couple of motor homes for sale

image.png.f6a4b2a98edefe65564afd17c392c2fe.png

https://www.google.com/maps/@13.7651161,100.6008734,3a,16.2y,123.39h,89.72t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1svm_x9Gn_kAb7RiPxFpF4Gw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

On 4/4/2020 at 8:38 PM, Optomist said:

Thanks Surelynot. Another thing I was thinking of , if I could find a LWB high top van of some sorts to convert to a motorhome.

Thanks again.

John.

Not that hard to find

On 4/14/2021 at 2:51 PM, canthai55 said:

Where do you dump your black water ?

There's just one

I had a MCI conversion in Canada for many years so know what I am talking about.

I guess you know about NA & Canadian motorhomes. Not EU, Ausi or (for that matter) Thai motorhomes.

They have NO black-water tank. They use cassette-toilets where you "pull" the cassette (usually 20 ltr) out of the side of the motorhome and empty it (legally) in any toilet. Like at a fuel-station.

So, again: What infra-structure ?  These campers/motorhomes have their own infrastructure.

And sleeping in hotels? Yeah, but what if you like the country-side and the quiet of nature?  Wanne spend the night in one of those 6.000 baht baloon-tents on the mountainside, with 10.000 other people? 

Not everyone likes hotels or mass-tourism. And those are the people who buy a motorhome.  (And there is quit a lot of us)

In fact, while I type this, I am sitting, comfortably (without the AC) in my motorhome somewhere in a forrest in the Isaan.

And it does not cost me a single stang.

Each his/her own.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Doesn't it get hot inside there?  Do you have a generator to run the AC?

Yep, it has a generator and AC, but frankly, we don't use that too often.

Mostly when it stood the entire day in the sun, we run the AC for one or two hours. Then everything is cooled down and the roof-windo-fans are enough.

At night fresh ourside-air is pumped in above the bed, which makes it feel pretty cool, even cold sometimes. 

But, you do need a good AC and silent genny.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Maartensworld said:

Mostly when it stood the entire day in the sun, we run the AC for one or two hours. Then everything is cooled down and the roof-windo-fans are enough.

At night fresh ourside-air is pumped in above the bed, which makes it feel pretty cool, even cold sometimes. 

I'm a life time rv'er. Owned everything you can imagine. I absolutely love the freedom they give you. Glad you enjoyed one here in Thailand

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Maartensworld said:

You must be 100% acclimatized. No way I would attempt to sleep in a tin box in the relentless Thailand humidity 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, madmen said:

You must be 100% acclimatized. No way I would attempt to sleep in a tin box in the relentless Thailand humidity 

We run the ac in our house every night. As you say. It's about the humidity!

31 minutes ago, madmen said:

No, I can't stand the heat. ????. But it's not a tin box, it's a fiberglass box with double walls and 5cm insulation.

Once the AC cools that (small) space down and dehumidifies it, it's pretty good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Maartensworld said:

They have NO black-water tank. They use cassette-toilets where you "pull" the cassette (usually 20 ltr) out of the side of the motorhome and empty it (legally) in any toilet. Like at a fuel-station.

From your moved topic - We are asking 3 million baht.

So - for 3 million THB I get to empty my own urine and feces - by hand - in a public toilet.

Thanks - but I'll use the non-existent infrastructure

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Maartensworld said:

I guess you know about NA & Canadian motorhomes. Not EU, Ausi or (for that matter) Thai motorhomes.

So, again: What infra-structure ?  These campers/motorhomes have their own infrastructure.

And sleeping in hotels? Yeah, but what if you like the country-side and the quiet of nature?  Wanne spend the night in one of those 6.000 baht baloon-tents on the mountainside, with 10.000 other people? 

Not everyone likes hotels or mass-tourism. And those are the people who buy a motorhome.  (And there is quit a lot of us)

In fact, while I type this, I am sitting, comfortably (without the AC) in my motorhome somewhere in a forrest in the Isaan.

And it does not cost me a single stang.

Each his/her own.

How often doe the the 20l cassette need to be emptied with two of you using it? 

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

How often doe the the 20l cassette need to be emptied with two of you using it? 

When we were out in ours, we tried to use public facilities as much as possible.  Especially for the big jobs.  Or, find a nearby tree if in remote spots.

Gotta laugh - do your business in the woods !

After spending 3 Mil on a motorhome !

Like in N. America - people spend $250,000 to over $1,000,000, travel up to Yukon and Alaska, and park in a Walmart parking lot !

I bought mine to run down to Belize after mining season. Park on the beach. Return April.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Like in N. America - people spend $250,000 to over $1,000,000, travel up to Yukon and Alaska, and park in a Walmart parking lot !

I bought mine to run down to Belize after mining season. Park on the beach. Return April.

So you took your dumps on the beach then ?????

58 minutes ago, Excel said:

So you took your dumps on the beach then ?????

I used the onboard toilet. Man from the village came on request to pump out black, and his buddy filled up fresh.

Remember me mentioning infrastructure ?

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

That had to be an interesting trip.  Driving to Belize.  We use to go to Baja and mainland Mexico every winter.  Loved camping right on the beach.

Parking in Walmart isn't much fun, but when on the road, and you're moving "fast", it's a great place to be.  Easy to stock up, find a place for the night, and hit the road early.  You're just looking for a place to crash for a few hours.  Without paying $50! LOL

17 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

That had to be an interesting trip.  Driving to Belize.  We use to go to Baja and mainland Mexico every winter.  Loved camping right on the beach.

Parking in Walmart isn't much fun, but when on the road, and you're moving "fast", it's a great place to be.  Easy to stock up, find a place for the night, and hit the road early.  You're just looking for a place to crash for a few hours.  Without paying $50! LOL

That's nothing almost 50 years I didn't have an RV but a caravan in the UK. We used to escape and travel to Luton. Now that is a wild place , full of Arabs with those bloody great knives and women with eyes that shone in the dark.  At the time very limited infrastructure to park the 'van and we had to take a dump wherever we could. The upside of course was that I received an offer that I couldn't turn down, I swapped the wife for 3 pigs 10 ducks and a hamster that I eventually gave to Freddie Starr ????

Edited by Excel

5 minutes ago, Excel said:

That's nothing almost 50 years I didn't have an RV but a caravan in the UK. We used to escape and travel to Luton. Now that is a wild place , full of Arabs with those bloody great knives and women with eyes that shone in the dark.  At the time very limited infrastructure to park the 'van and we had to take a dump wherever we could. The upside of course was that I received an offer that I couldn't turn down, I swapped the wife for 3 pigs 10 ducks and a hamster that I eventually gave to Freddie Starr ????

I've camped in everything from a tent to a 40' diesel pusher monster.  My trips to Mexico were a truck pulling a 32' trailer.  Bumper tow.

44 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

I've camped in everything from a tent to a 40' diesel pusher monster.  My trips to Mexico were a truck pulling a 32' trailer.  Bumper tow.

Used to love camping at "Ruben's Place" in San Felipe back in the '70s. Van, tent, boat and a couple motorcycles...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Used to love camping at "Ruben's Place" in San Felipe back in the '70s. Van, tent, boat and a couple motorcycles...

I first went there in the 90's. Must have been amazing back in the 70's!!!!