Tourist complains about crowded visa office, shoddy treatment by Thailand

rooster59

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Thailand is taking advantage of tourist by forcing them to come and extend their visas for money, while all reasonable countries in the world extend the visa automatically for a certain date,” he said.

Reasonable .! as rare a trait as responsible and well known to be just as easily lost in translation .. But hey could it not just be the Thai way of saying they don't really want ferryang to go home in their own uncomplicated sort of way way .. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The tourist, whose name is being withheld by The Nation to spare him any potential trouble, complained that he and other tourists had to be in a crowded office at the Immigration centre in Koh Samui to apply for visa extension.

I do not feel sorry for them; it is entirely their fault.
Always wanting to cluster on 3 to 4% of Thai territory while the remaining 96 or 97% are deserted ...

Western tourists, at least, because Thai tourists are much smarter than the Farang
(and yes Yinn, if you read me , you will see that there, I make farang bashing);
They just have to come and discover certain provinces totally forgotten in the travel guides.

A few days ago, I was going to the IO of Sakon Nakhon for my 90 days report; I spent 2 minutes there.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Tops said:

I still hear the upper monkey dictator say: We have everything 100% under control.

i guarantee you that when someone reads that to him he will  have everything 200% under control.    

i understand everyone's frustration.   but trying to get by without making things worse.

No,  i am not a woos

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, UbonThani said:

All tourists should have left 3 weeks ago. Don't these whingers read the news. Forget holidays for 9 months.

Holidays for many means not reading the news :cool:

• Like 1

As much as we would all like this situation fixed and people to not have to travel to immigration, there is not much one can do except to play the stupid game that it is.  I just find it funny that I would ave to get my condo owner, who lives in New York, to go to immigration with me for an interrogation.  So I will not be playing the game they want, and hopefully, whatever fines they decide to impose will be mitigated by another decree.

• Like 1

Why the downer on Thai people

Relax, you pay your way in Thailand, you adhere to the requests for information, you remain dignified, polite and understanding and 99% of the time life is ok

Alternatively, try insisting you have 'rights' be aggressive, moan and complain about Thai skills and attitude, voice opinions about how bad the system is you are set for a disappointing time

Thai people are concerned about the virus, they would probably really prefer these farang tourists had gone home rather than take the selfish gamble of being stranded and risk the health of the Thai IOs by cramming into an already crowded office

But then selfish the 'tourists' have been, and, selfish they continue to remain, my sympathy lies with the Thai office workers who have to face this kind of person in this kind of environment clearly tourists who do not give a damn about social distancing or the welfare of others

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Because tourism in no other country has been impacted, right??? just Thailands. 

Thailand does not treat tourists poorly. Genuine tourists to Thailand get favourable treatment, easy visas or visa exemption arrivals.

The strong baht had an impact, but the only foreigners who have suffered through this ‘poor’ treatment you speak of are long-termer who want to remain on tourist Visas etc... they are not tourists and don’t have a significant impact on the 9-15% contribution towards Thailand GDP by the tourism industry. 

As with many countries, reliant on tourism - the industry ebbs and flows as different markets are attracted to one area then move on. Thailand has had is hay-day with cheap tourists, now that the Baht is so strong it may have to concentrate on tourists who can afford to spend more, this means better quality places, not the cheap drop outs who somehow think they are a major contributor to the Thai economy. 

Tourism and Thailand will bounce back. 

Good luck 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Moonlover said:

What details are necessary? Announce a blanket extension policy NOW and work out the details later.

Why is that so bloody difficult?

Because they need to form  a committee to discuss it - silly!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, rosst said:

Wow Thailand, you just don't get it. 

The legacy of this will fuel conversations all over the world for years, "I was treated badly by Thailand during the virus, don't go there". 

Yes, it will happen 

Perhaps also fuel the conversation subject matter of 'why were you so ignorant and selfish getting stranded in the first place!!'

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2