Tourist complains about crowded visa office, shoddy treatment by Thailand

rooster59

5 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

Why do you have to go to to the office every 90 days,post it,do online,or use an agent,try using a bit of initiative.

I don't do my 90 day myself, but many / most people do, as you would see when you go to immigration... there are usually lots of people doing 90 day reports in person.  

People should not have to use an agent and spend that extra money if the process was streamlined and worked properly in the first place... and 'your agents' are partly the reason whey the lines are there at the office in the first place.  Some selfish and lazy people ruining it for everyone else.

How about you try using a bit of common sense and don't jump to conclusions about what I do or don't do at immigration.  

• Haha 1

The problem is actually not very difficult to solve. It is only to decide what is most important. Control of where tourists are or control of the virus. If you look at earlier statement from Prayut, The answer is allready given. To stop the virus is the number one choice. Skip the control of tourists for time being. But then of course this is Thailand. Where no one takes responsibility.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

You are a daft person are you not: a Non Imm "O" Visa can be a single entry which is good for 90 days, or an ME which every 90 days you need to border hop to extend for another 90 days.  Then at the end of the year you can do an extension of stay if you have the funds in the bank.  However, some folks do work in their home country. 

But then you knew all of this already.  Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O”, Purpose of Visit: Applicants who wish to stay with family in Thailand (Thai Family)

Continue on and keep digging down.....enjoy your day

Visa based on marriage funds in the bank - no issues  - we were talking about married men or had you missed that

Next

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, 473geo said:

Visa based on marriage funds in the bank - no issues  - we were talking about married men or had you missed that

Next

Yes a married family man, I did not miss one thing.  The "O" Visa is for a few things, but for visiting your wife and family here in Thailand is what it can be used for....So try again kind sir, and try to enlighten me some more. 

Many Family men, who have a wife here as well as children, do go back and forth still for work, many work on oil rigs as well.  The Non-Imm "O" Visa, is the one that is the most used in this case.  I have a Non-Imm "O-A" Visa, for long stay, I have never done the extension and always renewed my Visa every 2 years at the Consulate in Los Angeles, However, I now must have a Thai Health insurance policy to renew my O-A, or to do an extension of stay with. I prefer to keep the majority of my funds in the US, and not trap 800,000 Baht here in a bank account making a paltry sum.  Many different ways to stay here as a long term expat, and if you return to your country of origin for a visit, unless you buy a re-entry permit your extension is now invalid when you return. However with the ME Non Imm "O" visa I can come and go as needed and it stays valid.  Prior to this I was married to a Thai Lady and used the Non Imm "O" Visa with ME, in order to stay here as well as return to work, without needing a re-entry permit either.

Strike 3, your out.....what a shame.........

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, colinneil said:

Social distancing... Some stupid sods around.

Why are immigration so determined to make problems for tourists?

They are helping to trash tourism here in the future, with their crazy antics.

CW is not the only place overcrowded. I sent to Hua Him imm it was the same their. The UK said I would require a letter from the British Embassy for a 30day extension , I was given the BE address to apply for it and would be sent over the internet . But I haven't a PC so what does one do. Never mind my friend has one. I e-mailed the BE next day I had a reply saying it was the wrong department and sent an address to apply for the letter for the detention . I did that but it takes two working days for the reply and I applied for it on a Friday . My visa expires 08/04 so I'm hoping.

or I'll be paying 500Baht a day overstay. What a fiasco .Today is 05/04

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A lot of Thais will certainly die from this virus with this kind of ignorance. Only if it affects  an official might they start to "get" it. When the foreign governments get wind of how their citizens are treated,maybe they'll follow suit with Thai tourists or those that moved to other countries to live. We are only money to them,and they will certainly lose a lot now. They should learn to protect those that live here and respect those that spend money here,as they eat, use phones,cars,trucks,scooters, all of their military hardware, in fact all vehicles,electronics and many other things are foreign made. Without tourists and foreigners money, this would return to a farming country,where everyone would be forced to bust their asses for 200 baht a day. Granting extensions to everyone temporarily will still make them money. You stay ,you pay. Foreigners have to eat and sleep somewhere. This is a beautiful country and I have quite a few Thai friends and family members who respect me because I take good care of my wife and help her family on the farm as much as I can. If I get the chance, I will move back to where I came from with my family. This I'm sure is leaving a sour taste in others mouths.  We have been here since before the Vietnam war and I still don't get the disrespect. America and all other countries help Thailand in many ways. I think they need to wake up and see what a valuable source we are to them.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, mberbae said:

No sympathy here. These tourists knew there was a Global pandemic by Mid February.

They knew Thailand is a Major Hub for Chinese tourists.

These particular tourists are not wanting hand outs. Just some common decency. The virus is a huge issue, but in truth it's a non issue for many people to be stranded. What are they going to do when they get home? Stay home, same as in Thailand. No difference.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, colinneil said:

Social distancing... Some stupid sods around.

Why are immigration so determined to make problems for tourists?

They are helping to trash tourism here in the future, with their crazy antics.

If no tourists we'll live much better. They will value us again ????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

The situation at the Immigration office is chaotic,

However how can someone be stranded? the news of last flight dates were up in good time. Most of people decided to stay anyway and become stranded. now they complain.

I have a resort here in Samui. All my customers left the country without any problem. 

Do not put the blame on the immigration of you need your parents to plan your things.

You are more than welcome to blame the people in charge at the immigration office for incompetence. they surely deserve it. However that is another story.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

I would like to give your post a 'like' because in part I would have agreed with you. However, as I posted on the 'social distancing' thread the IO's at the office are breaking their own rules. However, that post was about 'distancing' and I didn't mention other problems...and there is a reason for this. This is the first year in 25 that the treatment I received was bad so I was reluctant to give details because I thought 1 year out of 25, well, I mean...

I was dressed politely, my manner was polite and would have presented myself in the orderly fashion as I've always done. ..if I had been given the chance...and I said very little. All my documents were correct yet every time they spoke to me it was a shouted order. I was calmly sitting waiting for my turn when an IO (standing behind the seated IO's) that called me to the counter, making me a third person where there should have only have been two (distancing), and he did so by shouting 'You...come' and paid no regard to the queue card number I was holding. When the man on my right was finished I was told to 'sit' as though I was some animal being trained to obey commands. In any other circumstance I would have reacted to this treatment but I remained calm. The inside of the office had very few applicants because the queuing was done outside so there was absolutely no need for their ill mannered approach and no need to break their own distancing arrangement. It is quite clear from other posters that I am not the only one. 

I absolutely agree with your post.

But can you imagine the verbal abuse these immigration officers receive on a daily basis? Both tourists and higher ranking officers are downright nasty.

I try to be polite like you. I spent like 15 hours at Chaeng Watthana in late March, and observed these poor workers being abused (especially by angry Chinese Tourists) and yelled at.

They work more than 12 hours daily, so I can give them a little slack.

But I totally understand your frustration. We are not all "Aii Farang" - some of us are educated and have basic manners, and like to be treated that way....

• Haha 1

It angers me to see people crammed into the immigration office like this. The face masks are approx 60% effective as they mostly do not seal properly. An N95 mask is 95% effective if you fit it to your face with surgical tape for example. Social distancing as prescribed by most governments is the most effective / first line of defence. In Thailand people believe they are protected by the mask and are on top of each other at government offices and supermarkets etc. 

• Haha 1

It is utterly disgusting the way I and many other 'guests' of this country were treated by the immigration officers at Jomtien . We were forced to stand in 35 + deg  heat for 4 hours outside  with no water or food or anywhere to sit to get a number all the while being shouted at and finger waved at . Then 3 1/2 hours stuck inside a room with up to two hundred other people again being shouted at by some female officer We all applied for a thirty day extension and received 16 days only but we were still charge nearly £50 . I arrived here beginning of January on a 90 day non-imm o. And I noticed an officer dishing out passports to people who was not wearing a mask and stuffing thousands of Baht notes into a large plastic bag. I fly out on Tuesday I shan't be back . Ok trolls your turn ...

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, petermik said:

They only want our money.... we are looked at as parasites here...????

Must be the only country in the world right now who put foreigners money before their health and well being. Stupid thing is that they will spread the virus amongst the whole community, including Thai's. Terrible country. Glad I'm out of it.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Buck 5868 said:

It is utterly disgusting the way I and many other 'guests' of this country were treated by the immigration officers at Jomtien . We were forced to stand in 35 + deg  heat for 4 hours outside  with no water or food or anywhere to sit to get a number all the while being shouted at and finger waved at . Then 3 1/2 hours stuck inside a room with up to two hundred other people again being shouted at by some female officer We all applied for a thirty day extension and received 16 days only but we were still charge nearly £50 . I arrived here beginning of January on a 90 day non-imm o. And I noticed an officer dishing out passports to people who was not wearing a mask and stuffing thousands of Baht notes into a large plastic bag. I fly out on Tuesday I shan't be back . Ok trolls your turn ...

Best thing you can do is get out fella, I did. Will never return again. Why be somewhere so unwelcoming and so anti foreigner. many other places to go instead. Take your "dirty farang" self somewhere else.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, gonesouth said:

once i read about some one call the philippines a sh... hole... when on and on.... ha ha..

Certainly is not a sh*thole. sure some rough place like any country but go to the right places and its beautiful place without the feeling that they don't want you there. Really friendly people.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Cabinet had agreed in principle about the automatic visa extension. Officials are working out details and will shortly make an official announcement, he added.

Too slow not acceptable in a pandemic.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Officials are working out details and will shortly make an official announcement, he added.

After the various committees have met to set up further committees to decide if those whose visa expires on Mondays should be treated the same as those that have a visa that expires on Tuesdays, and which offices/officers may work to the rule and which can ignore them or make up their own rules deciding on the day of the week and time of the day and how busy they might be. Expect the decision by, oh, September, and then they might get around to setting up a few committees to discuss those who have long-term visas. Expect that decision, if any, around June 2021.

• Haha 1

This situation might speed up if everyone caught up in this situation as per the photo complained via the foreign affairs dept in their home countries and to the Thai Embassy & TAT offices in their home capitals. Gravity will do the rest...

• Haha 1

Samui Head of Immugration was perhaps still is the most corrupt IMO in Thailand. When I was living there a lot of ex-pats under the guiidance of ex Brit army Consulate wrote official complaint about him..he owned huge land & property boh on the island & off it...acted like no-one including Thai Gov could go against him....

Shortly after c 2010 he was transferred ...only to return a couple of years later ...still controlling corruption on Samui....is he still doing that ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

If it’s madness here it must be madness in other countries as well have a look what’s happening in Australia and the U.K. 

In the latter older people have to stay in their homes for 12 weeks, I was also talking to a female friend aged 55 who because she sometimes  suffers from asthma has to isolate in her own home for the same period.

Police are stopping drivers and people at railway stations and if they cannot justify their journey are directed to return home.

In relation to your so called booze ban that it is not Thailand wide 

I bought alcohol yesterday at Makro with no problems.

I am in the UK and yes everything is shut (except supermarkets) but it is all in the spirit of beating the coronavirus, you are not treated badly or harassed by the police thats all just gossip. I would rather be in a country that puts peoples health first, money is not a consideration. I fear how much Thailand is going to suffer once the mass migration of people and mass gatherings like the immigration fiasco takes its toll. It is extremely infectious and spreads very very quickly. In a month it can paralyse the country. Stay safe.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Buck 5868 said:

It is utterly disgusting the way I and many other 'guests' of this country were treated by the immigration officers at Jomtien . We were forced to stand in 35 + deg  heat for 4 hours outside  with no water or food or anywhere to sit to get a number all the while being shouted at and finger waved at .

It is indeed miserable to queue in that heat. I got a slight sore throat from the dehydration, which is great in the current circumstances. Left me on edge the next few days wondering if I need to visit a hospital. Only got a 7 day after all that hassle. Now I finally got a response from my embassy, and may be able to get an extension. I'm really not sure it's worth the risk and discomfort to go through that process again (and twice a month to boot!). I don't even know if the embassy letter can be used after the 7 day extension (they indicated it could, if I can get it).

I did read you can use an agent to manage the application though, I'm more than happy to shell out 2000bt extra to avoid that queue.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Because that would make life easy for the illegal workers and real overstays. ie since pre virus days. There are still lots of them in the Kingdom.

We all know that there are people in Thailand, living 'under the radar'. Unfortunately it is because of them that life for the genuine tourists is so difficult.

And because of the few, everyone has to suffer. There must be a better wy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We want to work with your process, but be reasonable please.
Make us complete our paperwork.
Make us pay the designated fees to extend.
Make us come in person if you like, until you can get an online system up and running.

PLEASE...DON'T make us come back 2-3 times in a month and wait 4 hours queuing up.
ONE TIME every 60 days will be so much better for both your office and us visitors, even if it is only temporarily until the corona virus situation calms down.

• Haha 1