Jump to content
BANGKOK
Doronazl

Urgent help please, issue with a rental villa

Recommended Posts

Just rented a villa for a while in phuket

Its a pool villa that has a private swimming pool

Theres seem to be an issue with the water pump or anything related to it

Its our first night sleeping here, when we arrived last night, the security guard told us the main water pump is running on and off all the time, i didnt notice anything yesterday evening but when woke up this morning i could hear it running on and off all the time, till now.

Checked valved again, no water is being used

The only thing i can find that is running now is the pool water filtration system, i guess its doing its thing, is this normal? Does it use new water or something in order to operate? 

 

The worrying part is i spoke to a friend of mine who used to rent this place a couple of years ago and he told me he ended up with a big ass water or electric bill which he was forced to pay for. 

 

The current state is that i paid a 10k deposit and im supposed to pay the rest today, another 25.

I told the owner we need to come to an arrangement before i pay the rest or we will look for another place to stay in. 

 

The owner response was to send a technician which was the same has happened with my friend back then, they didnt manage to fix it then, i doubt it will be fixed now and i dont want to go into a loop of a daily technician coming here trying to fix the problem. 

 

How should i proceed? Im thinkin of asking to see the previous government water and electric bills and suggest the owner we deduct those amounts from future bills(assuming the villa was empty during previous month, which looks like it was) 

 

Or simply back off this place and go look for another villa, what do u guys think? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The pump needs to run off and on to keep the water circulating and clean... yes, it costs money to have the pump working every day... at my home it runs 7-8 hours a day... I am told that is normal.. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

The pump needs to run off and on to keep the water circulating and clean... yes, it costs money to have the pump working every day... at my home it runs 7-8 hours a day... I am told that is normal.. 

So the main pump supposed to run together with the water filtration system? 

 

May i ask what its supposed to cost if the house is vacated? If u know

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Doronazl said:

The owner response was to send a technician which was the same has happened with my friend back then, they didnt manage to fix it then, i doubt it will be fixed now and i dont want to go into a loop of a daily technician coming here trying to fix the problem. 

 

How should i proceed? Im thinkin of asking to see the previous government water and electric bills and suggest the owner we deduct those amounts from future bills(assuming the villa was empty during previous month, which looks like it was) 

 

Or simply back off this place and go look for another villa, what do u guys think? 

You are fairly certain that the problem will not be fixed

 

The water and Electric could have been switched off during the previous period, so even if given may not be relevant.

 

Unless you can negotiate a fixed cost that you are OK with for water/electricity, back off now 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You are fairly certain that the problem will not be fixed

 

The water and Electric could have been switched off during the previous period, so even if given may not be relevant.

 

Unless you can negotiate a fixed cost that you are OK with for water/electricity, back off now 

May i ask if u know an estimation of how much bills should sum up to? 

I work from home so aircons running pretty much non stop, i just came in from a condo in bkk, cost me about 2-3k a month for bills. 

Obviously would be higher cause of the pool but about how much 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

Maintenance of swimming pools can be very expensive and especially if the system is faulty.

 

If you rented through a reputable agent, ask them for advice. They will know the history of the place, assuming it has been on their books a while. And they should do the negotiation with the owner. If you rented directly with the owner though, study the contract details carefully.

 

If you are sure there's a problem and it looks likely nothing will be done to fix it, I'd up sticks and leave. Find another rental. There surely must be many available right now.

Its through an agent but i cant say i trust their word on it. 

The lease is on a monthly bases anyway so i can get up and leave with a 30 day notification, says so in the contract of course, that is an option but a better one would be to come to an agreement about the bills

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Doronazl said:

higher cause of the pool but about how much 

I am not in Phuket, so don't know the electric rates but in CM area I was told to expect 1500 baht just for the pool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

I am not in Phuket, so don't know the electric rates but in CM area I was told to expect 1500 baht just for the pool

I see, il try to ask around friends here in phuket and then maybe like someone suggested here i could try to get them to agree to a fixed amount to pay for bills. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thought I'd pick up on this thread and see if anyone else has noticed generally pumps across Thailand are going much more than usual since last month. Sounds like a conspiracy theory I know, started with my Bangkok apartment, no water running, no leaks found but pump goes constantly, maybe a pressure offset but turned off at night and needs a big refil when turned back on in the morning.  As I sat with a beer with my pump off, I started noticing other pumps in the street also going constantly, so <deleted> maybe I have just never noticed this is norm before.  

 

I then move into a summer rental near the beach, and same thing, landlord send technician and does not find anything so its still going now, our case bills are included and have informed landlord oh and no pool so would not be as steep a bill anyway. landlords with rentals with bills included might be in for a surprise with the stay at home guides.

 

Anyway, likely just cabin fever madness on my part, but give it a listen in your neighbourhood and see if there are constant pumps going.

 

 

Edited by Bangel72

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Doronazl said:

they didnt manage to fix it then, i doubt it will be fixed now

I think you answered it yourself. The techs should be fixing it. We had an issue with never ending pump running and it was due to an underground leakage that needed sealing off. Big water and electric bills unless its fixed properly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand why the pump should run intermittently. I switch my pump on for 4 hours each day and the pool is cleaned. I am at home all day and use fans during the day and air con at night. My electricity bill last month was 2200bht

If you're not satisfied with the repairs and/or your agreement with the owner it might be cheaper to back out now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I would wager that the landlord is already aware of the issue and also aware that it is an expensive repair (especially if it involves digging to find an underwater leak from a shoddy installation). He was probably hoping that you wouldn't notice it and pay the rest of the deposit. So you've got 3 issues to worry about: being disturbed by the noise, inflated bills, and "technicians" coming around when they feel like it.

 

Personally, I would find somewhere else. The other option being not giving him the remaining deposit money until the issue is fixed. It's undoubtedly a buyer's market right now so you should find somewhere easily enough. Don't be hoodwinked by lip service - once you've handed over the money I think it's probably very unlikely that the landlord will address the issue in my experience.

Edited by SteveK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, delgarcon said:

I don't understand why the pump should run intermittently. I switch my pump on for 4 hours each day and the pool is cleaned. I am at home all day and use fans during the day and air con at night. My electricity bill last month was 2200bht

If you're not satisfied with the repairs and/or your agreement with the owner it might be cheaper to back out now.

If the pool pump working, does the main water pumo supposed to be working as well because of it? 

Isnt the pool system should be closed circuit? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Doronazl said:

Isnt the pool system should be closed circuit? 

Yes, unless there's a leak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...