BANGKOK
ChipButty

STILL Sweden bucks the trend:

3 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Yes, I just looked it up, at one point Austrian testing numbers approached South Korea.

They tested a lot more than Sweden.

So there we have it. Again, testing and isolating the infected is what makes a difference.

Social distancing clearly does not. Sweden has far less social distancing than the UK, yet still half the mortality rate.

That's the easy part the hard part will be convincing everybody,and breaking through the fear barrier that's been erected.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

The mortality rate based on identified cases and deaths from Johns Hopkins:

Sweden : 5%

UK:         10%

The UK has extreme social distancing. Sweden does not.

Yet Sweden has a mortality rate half as high as the UK.

So another clear illustration that social distancing is of very little use.

This is a false perception: The mortality rate and the social distancing have nothing to do with each other. 

You can - on the other hand - take the infection rate for a comparison.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I put the laugh emoji there because in my next post I suggest that it may indeed be that chance plays an important role in the numbers by way of kaos.  

Lol, while i was typing i had the same thought, indeed "chance" may be a factor, until a certain extent.

12 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Are there any Swedes on here? 

I used to live in a company village. The expats wives had a social group for house parties and stitch-and-bitch sessions but none of the Swedish women joined. They tried many times to get them to participate but no... so there take and my supposition is that swedes are less gregarious.

Which might have a bearing on their infection rate etc.. 

Finns likewise. If your neighbour lives closer than 1km, he is too close. 

That's an interesting point, Swedes are notorious for hating small talk and never chatting to strangers. The cultural factors are so overlooked, like Asians not even shaking hands while Italians are hugging, kissing, waving their hands and yelling.

Another thing is that covid is most deadly to older males, which many in Sweden would be OK with.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

That's the easy part the hard part will be convincing everybody,and breaking through the fear barrier that's been erected.

Yes, especially since everybody has been indoctrinated by their governments that social distancing is the miracle cure, and if only we did it the virus will be stopped.

Very hard to then convince people of the reality, that testing and isolating the infected is the most important measure that makes the difference.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Finns likewise. If your neighbour lives closer than 1km, he is too close. 

an built barrier bred into them... from their border infiltration pressures with Russia etc

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, henry2109 said:

This is a false perception: The mortality rate and the social distancing have nothing to do with each other. 

The mortality rate and social distancing have nothing to do with each other?

That's odd. I thought the governments were saying that with the social distancing wonder weapon there will be less infections, one would think less infections means less deaths. Don't you have to be infected with the virus then to die of Covid?

Edited by Logosone

6 minutes ago, Logosone said:
20 minutes ago, henry2109 said:

The mortality rate and social distancing have nothing to do with each other?

That's odd. I thought the governments were saying that with the social distancing wonder weapon there will be less infections, one would think less infections means less deaths. Don't you have to be infected with the virus then to die of Covid?

Edited 5 minutes ago by Logosone

yes but you have to maintain familiarity with the concept of Constant Velocity versus a Reduction of Constant Acceleration... now reducing (less) Acceleration...

Posted (edited)

yes but you have to maintain familiarity with the concept of Constant Velocity versus a Reduction of Constant Acceleration... now reducing (less) Acceleration...

Sweden had its first case on 24 January.

UK had its first case on 31 January.

You also need to keep familiarity with the concept of facts.

Sweden being "behind" in the curve is not an explanation for the fact that Sweden has half the mortality rate of the UK with minimal social distancing, whereas the UK has extreme social distancing.

Edited by Logosone

52 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

The Swedish people were smarter than I thought by not falling for all this Corona nonsense...

they will follow the government can not get a majority on the use of restrictions.

Sweden 10m population over 450,295km² 21 persons per sq km, 638 cases per million, most populated city Stockholm with a population of 1.5million, stockholm consists of 14 islands

UK 66.5m population over 241,495km² with 274 persons per km, 617 cases per million, most populated city London with 10.6m population, the same as the entire population of Sweden. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Lol, while i was typing i had the same thought, indeed "chance" may be a factor, until a certain extent.

Yes there seem to be way to many contributing factors at this early stage but there does seem to be a strong case for massive testing and isolating the infected combined with protecting the those most vulnerable to the disease.One also has the Swiss cheese effect where a series of events slip through where the holes in the cheese line up which allow outcomes of catastrophic proportions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Yes there seem to be way to many contributing factors at this early stage but there does seem to be a strong case for massive testing and isolating the infected combined with protecting the those most vulnerable to the disease.One also has the Swiss cheese effect where a series of events slip through where the holes in the cheese line up which allow outcomes of catastrophic proportions.

The economies of millions are being destroyed, i am afraid that in the next weeks we will have more important issues to worry about rather than the virus.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Social distancing affects the infection rate, not the mortality rate. The idea is that if you keep your distance you will be less likely to get infected   but once you are infected the mortality rate is affected by other factors, such as the underlying health of the general population. I would suggest that the average Swede is healthier than the average Briton. That’s why the mortality rates differ so much.

Immunity could definitely play a role, and by all accounts Swedes are considerably fitter than the British.

However, if social distancing affects the infection rate, that would affect the mortality rate, since the higher the number of infected the higher the likelihood of higher mortality.

Unless those infected are properly isolated.

However, without therapy, vaccine, and proper materials it is unlikely the doctors save lives with Covid patients. 

Sweden and the UK have a population of exactly identical age, btw.

The average age in both is 40.

Edited by Logosone