BANGKOK
ChipButty

STILL Sweden bucks the trend:

On 4/5/2020 at 9:08 AM, Logosone said:

So what is the difference between Austria and Sweden?

Logosone asked the above question.

As far as I can tell, the main difference is the population density.  Austria's population density is 109 per square kilometer.  Sweden's is less than a quarter of that at 25 per square kilometer.

On 4/5/2020 at 9:50 AM, vogie said:

But most of europes trajectories are of a similar rate, the difference is some countries are some days behind other countries that's all, in Swedens case it is 12 days behind the UK and the chart shows it is running in paralell with the UKs trajectory, hope I'm wrong though.

IMG_20200405_094257.thumb.jpg.fdcbd8bd07678741b4419fdd6e7665ed.jpg

The interesting line to me is South Korea's.  The rest are much the same.  South Korea seems to have done things right from the get go. 

On 4/5/2020 at 8:22 AM, roo860 said:

Friend of mine arrived back there last Thursday, he says the same, bit unnerving.

There are no shopping malls packed with people. Don't believe everything you read in the newspapers. And the number was 401 dead as of yesterday. That's still less fatalities compared to the UK (5000 dead) in proportion to population. ~65,5 million people vs. 10 million. Do the math. 

On 4/5/2020 at 10:14 AM, tifino said:

yes but you have to maintain familiarity with the concept of Constant Velocity versus a Reduction of Constant Acceleration... now reducing (less) Acceleration...

What has velocity and acceleration got to do with coughing and sneezing !!!

12 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

There are no shopping malls packed with people. Don't believe everything you read in the newspapers. And the number was 401 dead as of yesterday. That's still less fatalities compared to the UK (5000 dead) in proportion to population. ~65,5 million people vs. 10 million. Do the math. 

That means nothing, countries are at different stages

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wullie Mercer said:

What has velocity and acceleration got to do with coughing and sneezing !!!

a metaphor for the 'trend' graphs... 

... a car that is accelerating, but now accelerating at a lower rate of acceleration...

Sweden is the 'canary in the coal mine' for the other European countries. That's its purpose since it decided to abolish itself. Whether turning its cities into Somalia or ignoring a deadly pandemic, it's become our experimental laboratory. Thanks Sweden. 

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

I don't read the newspapers, I was commenting on his arrival back in Sweden after being in Thailand (Bangkok), and how many people he said were carrying on as normal.

25 minutes ago, 4737 Carlin said:

Sweden is the 'canary in the coal mine' for the other European countries. That's its purpose since it decided to abolish itself. Whether turning its cities into Somalia or ignoring a deadly pandemic, it's become our experimental laboratory. Thanks Sweden. 

Better than just copying other countries because of media pressure, those other countries such as France, Spain, Italy have failed

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Again you totally mis the point. Have you ever done basic math ?

The deathrate is a percentage 

Its total deaths divided by corvid cases.

Deaths are directly related to corvid so more cases is more deaths. So the amount of cases is irrelevant as lower amount of cases will give lower deaths. 

Say 100 deaths and 2000 infections  = 5%

Now social distancing would change the amount of infections (or not) but the amounts of deaths are related alwas a percentage of the amount of people having it.

So say social distancing works and cuts infections by half it would mean less deaths too as deaths are related to corvid

50 /  1000 infections = 5 %

See that the amount of infections has no relation to the death rate.

Sure if you only test those that are really ill then your death rate is higher as when you test everyone as not everyone has the severe cases. However if you only change social distancing that could have no effect or effect but you still only test severely ill or everyone it wont change the death rate.

So you are totally wrong and almost everyone understand that unless your education did not include basic math and logic. 

Death rate is based on how bad a disease is not on how many are infected (unless we got overflowing hospitals)

Looks like your assuming that there is no relation between deaths by corvid and how many cases there are. (that does not change a percentage). It only changes the numbers of death not a percentage.

Yes, I have done basic maths, but I am transporting that maths to reality which you seem clearly unable to do.

Of course the death rate is a percentage, and identified cases are divided by deaths. However what you don't seem to understand is that proponents of sd claim that sd keeps the number of cases lower for a period of time, and that if cases, that is actual cases, irrespective of how many are identified, are lower, then that would mean that there would be fewer deaths and it could affect the death rate. Because deaths are related to Covid19, which is related to the virus, so to the number of infected. But that relation would not necessarily be exactly the same as the original death rate without sd. On the contrary if testing is the same, eventually the lower number of cases should result in a lower number of deaths, and also in a lower percentage which should be apparent if testing continues.

So let's say, as an example, we have 1000 cases and before sd 50 people die, 5%. After sd there are 500 cases and 5 people die, since less patients means doctors can save more, the full sd dream come true. So then we should have a 3.6% deathrate (55 deaths with 1500 cases).

You're just assuming the death rate would stay in the same ratio if cases are lower due to sd, but there is no reason to assume a lower number would entail exactly the same death ratio as the previous higher case number.

So the amount of cases is irrelevant as lower amount of cases will give lower deaths. 

No actually, that's just an assumption you made. If the number of cases is lower and results in a lower number of deaths, obviously the amount of cases is not irrelevant and the death rate could be lower as well, it need not be exactly the same as originally with a higher number of cases.

The mortality rate is calculated by the number of cases divided by the number of deaths, but you think the number of infections does not affect the death rate?

No, why would you assume that? The change any intervention measure causes is in exactly the same proportion as the original death rate? Why? More likely that is not the case.

26 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Better than just copying other countries because of media pressure, those other countries such as France, Spain, Italy have failed

All those countries hug, kiss and wave their hands a lot while talking loudly, all good ways to spread the virus. None of this happens in Asia and from what I've read Swedes have always practiced social distancing.

4q36jg5ofi831.jpg

3 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

What will be most interesting and instructive will be the final count of the deaths actually due to Covid-19 compared to the number of deaths due
--to seasonal flu,
--pathologies due to the great age of the populations,
--to the natural dead ...

I am ready to eat my hat that we will discover that in fact this Covid-19 as contagious as it is, is or was in fact not much in relation to the causes that I cite above.

Never forget that in Italy but also certainly in all the other countries of the world that the immense majority of the dead are elderly or very old people, already at the end of life and who had one to 3 serious pathologies.
The Covid only accelerated their death but is in no way the cause of this death.

It remains to be seen whether this post-Covid study will be done intelligently or biased, which is generally the case in countries where we do not want to recognize that we were wrong from the start.

What a load of rubbish!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, robblok said:

What I am saying is that the virus is equally deadly always.

Wrong.