STILL Sweden bucks the trend:

ChipButty

On 4/6/2020 at 8:06 PM, Logosone said:

Well Japan has an even older population than the UK, in even larger numbers.

Yet the virus is not rampaging there causing the same death rate as in the UK.

Social distancing is effective at the very start of a pandemic, but less so after a virus has spread already. Cooping up infected youngsters with older parents and grandparents could make things worse.

I don't think both measures are equally successful and equally important. Testing, finding and isolating the infected is the best possible weapon. Isolating the healthy from the healthy does nothing. Isolating the sick is far more successful, for obvious reasons.

And I'm pretty certain, if Britain had had the option of mass testing, that's the option they would have taken. They just didn't have the test kits or icu beds, so social distancing was the only option.

Obviously diet might have a role in reducing the elderly Japanese death rate compared to Britain.

Elderly Japanese might be adhering to the diet of earlier days, while Britons, like most western countries eat food contaminated by chemicals. Just read the ingredients of canned food- it's terrible what we put in our bodies because most of us have no choice ( home gardens not an option for most ).

On 4/6/2020 at 8:49 PM, Antiparovian said:

Quoted Mortality Rates are pointless. They depend totally on the number of people being tested.

???????????/

Even if they didn't test every case admitted to hospital, which I would doubt, if a person dies of Corona symptoms in either country the total of each death rate attributed to Corona would be available.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

???????????/

Even if they didn't test every case admitted to hospital, which I would doubt, if a person dies of Corona symptoms in either country the total of each death rate attributed to Corona would be available.

Scores of Italians dying in their homes.   Lots of interviews with Italian doctors describing this very situation.  Under the circumstances nobody is going to rush out and pick up the bodies, let alone test them.  I'm thinking no "instant" mortality rate on this one.

9 minutes ago, dananderson said:

Scores of Italians dying in their homes.   Lots of interviews with Italian doctors describing this very situation.  Under the circumstances nobody is going to rush out and pick up the bodies, let alone test them.  I'm thinking no "instant" mortality rate on this one.

The thread is about Sweden, not Italy. I doubt bodies are left in the streets in Stockholm.

On 4/5/2020 at 9:08 AM, fforest1 said:

The Swedish people were smarter than I thought by not falling for all this Corona nonsense...

This will not be the situation in a week or two.

They will be truly shocked by what's about to happen.

19 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The thread is about Sweden, not Italy. I doubt bodies are left in the streets in Stockholm.

You stated a death rate by covid would be available.  I countered your assertion and stand by my statement.  As with any plague people die in their homes and the actual death count or rate will take time to determine.    

3 hours ago, dananderson said:

You stated a death rate by covid would be available.  I countered your assertion and stand by my statement.  As with any plague people die in their homes and the actual death count or rate will take time to determine.    

Plague????

10 hours ago, Sharp said:

Plague????

Spanish Flu in 1918 was referred to as the Black Death Plague.   Societies that took less stringent measures suffered massive casualties.  It was the 2nd wave that did the most damage.  Sound familiar?