Kind-hearted Phuket locals come to the aid of broke Russians left stranded due to COVID-19

rooster59

Watching flight radar app it was amazing the number of flights per day leaving Phuket to Moscow all through March. I wonder how they missed getting home when there were at least four or six per day .

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Curt1591 said:

In my experience, many of the poorer Thais are the most compassionate and generous. 

Many of the better-off seem to have a "I gave at the temple" attitude. 

Exactly correct!

That's why the country was so different, in a positive way, decades ago.

The "Wannabe's" and "Nuvo Rich" are mostly the same in the whole world!

But in those times, them will also learn the lesson.

The "Bank" never lose!

• Like 2

Weird how their flight was cancelled but the airline wasn't able or was unwilling to assist in any way. I was due to fly on EVA last year but then there was that cabin crew walkout - they just booked me onto another flight. I know that now is a different situation, but surely they could arrange accommodation or something like that? 

2 hours ago, PJPom said:

Watching flight radar app it was amazing the number of flights per day leaving Phuket to Moscow all through March. I wonder how they missed getting home when there were at least four or six per day .

According to the article their 25th March flight back home was cancelled.

So they were probably not able to re-schedule their flight due to insufficient funds.

Staying in a temple on a tight budget (they had to walk back from the airport) is for sure not their idea of a nice holiday.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Given the amount of bad news we have been getting of late, nice to see that Thais, even though many of them are struggling to make ends meet, have the heart to assist those in need. Around the country I am sure there are many tourists way overdue to go home, who will also be having serious money problems. The sooner the virus problem is solved, the better for all concerned.

It would also be nice to see a slightly softer side to the Government here.

Maybe not to all, but certainly to some that are in dire straits, instead of all the lack of compassion being displayed.

Thailand needs to make friends now, and their attitude to many has only broken what were fragile relationships.

This Gov.t needs to remember that it takes a long time to build a good reputation, and only one event like this to see it ruined if not managed properly.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Given the amount of bad news we have been getting of late, nice to see that Thais, even though many of them are struggling to make ends meet, have the heart to assist those in need. Around the country I am sure there are many tourists way overdue to go home, who will also be having serious money problems. The sooner the virus problem is solved, the better for all concerned.

Agreed, I think at the end of this month they should test all tourists who are stranded waiting to go home. If they past the test get them on a plane out of here & home.

Home countries can provide commercial or military flights and if need-be quarantine them on arrival home if they so wish!

• Like 2

There is a great opportunity here for the Thai government to show the world how good you are a huge PR how many Thai airways planes a grounded? Well put them to good use and get these tourists home 

In the Thai news this morning  ( TNN and AmarinTV ) they  said that locals had reported seeing three ghosts at the temple and rushed to inform the authorities..who upon investigation found the 3 Russians camping at the temple, penniless but surviving with  canned fish and mama noodles..3 locals where shown bringing food and some toilet paper.