BANGKOK
DowntownAl

Canadian Consular-Visa Extensions

For those not registered with the Canadian Embassy:

Dear Canadian(s),

You are receiving this email because you are registered with the Government of Canada’s Registration of Canadians Abroad (ROCA) service.

EMBASSY RE-OPENING ON APRIL 1 FOR ESSENTIAL SERVICES
Please be advised that the Embassy of Canada to Thailand will re-open for essential services only on Wednesday April 1, 2020. The Embassy was temporarily closed on Tuesday, March 31, after an employee in the office tower that houses the Embassy of Canada tested positive for COVID-19 (the case was on a different floor in the building and did not occur within the Embassy itself). Building management has disinfected all common areas of the building and a decision to re-open the Embassy was taken after consultation with Thai and Canadian authorities.

CONSULAR SERVICES
The Embassy of Canada to Thailand is currently prioritizing essential services, with a focus on providing support to Canadians trying to return to Canada. Non-urgent routine services will not be provided at this time. Most urgent consular services are being provided remotely. For health reasons and to reduce risk to clients and staff, we encourage Canadians in need of urgent consular assistance in Thailand to contact the Embassy of Canada remotely, by sending an email to [email protected]. You can also contact the Emergency Watch and Response Centre in Ottawa at +1-613-996-8885 or by email at [email protected].

VISA EXTENSION REQUESTS
The Government of Canada has advised all Canadians to cancel non-essential travel abroad and for Canadian travellers to consider returning home.  Assisting Canadians attempting to return to Canada remains a top priority for Consular personnel. We recognize, however, that options for return to Canada are rapidly diminishing and that some Canadians are resident abroad on a long-term basis. In this context, the Embassy will, as of April 1, undertake to provide supporting letters for Canadians seeking visa extensions in Thailand. For all such requests, we would kindly ask that you contact the Embassy via email, at [email protected], and not to appear in person.

• Like 1

Good to see they've assessed and addressed the situation quickly and were able to open again within a day. Hopefully, most if not all who needed or wanted to leave are already back in Canada hoping that Trudeau and its citizens can keep the US situation south of the 49th parallel. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Embassy of Canada in Bangkok is usually unresponsive for any requests for assistance by Canadians. In the past whenever I have sent an email to the embassy they have never responded. Also, if you phone them, an automated attendant answers and a voice recording says to send an email.

Edited by Banana7

6 hours ago, DowntownAl said:

For all such requests, we would kindly ask that you contact the Embassy via email, at [email protected], and not to appear in person.

...that way we can send your request to the circular file as we ignore you.

50 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Embassy of Canada in Bangkok is usually unresponsive for any requests for assistance by Canadians. In the past whenever I have sent an email to the embassy they have never responded. Also, if you phone them, an automated attendant answers and a voice recording says to send an email.

Could of been lot worse. You could have had an Australian passport

Canada is out of control. Nobody is wearing masks, people are just roaming around in TO.  Warm weather is coming it will be a disaster.  Cases are double , hospitals will soon be overwhelmed. I donno know but Thailand is probably better place to be.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

Canada is out of control. Nobody is wearing masks, people are just roaming around in TO.  Warm weather is coming it will be a disaster.  Cases are double , hospitals will soon be overwhelmed. I donno know but Thailand is probably better place to be.

Quite happy to be home!

thailand a better place to be???

i hardly think so!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

Quite happy to be home!

thailand a better place to be???

i hardly think so!

In terms of viral spread it may well be better. A bit early to call it, but the measures are getting pretty strict. Unless they do an about turn, I can't see it getting out of control.

1 hour ago, Don Chance said:

Where are you in Canada? I wouldn't say it's out of control here. It's true that people generally aren't wearing masks, but social distancing, closures, and other precautions are clearly in place. I went to the LCBO yesterday to get my mother some wine, and they were only allowing 5 people at a time into the very large store. As far as masks go, why would I put one on if I'm just going outside for a walk and not interacting with anyone? If I run into one of my neighbors who is also out for a walk, we can very easily keep a safe distance away from each other and chat.

But I think we'll see more of us wearing at least a cloth one while shopping or in public as we're now being told, logically, that it can help reduce the spread. Besides that, if Trump refuses to wear one, doing the opposite must be a good thing. 😉  

At least you've been honest enough to admit at the end of your post that you actually "donno". 

Canadian Embassy in Bangkok has always responded to my emails. They have always been most co-operative and a pleasure to deal with. I am in the process of getting my proof of income letter by mail.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Could of been lot worse. You could have had an Australian passport

I had to renew my passport recently.

The staff at the Phuket Consulate General couldn't have been any more helpful, friendly and efficient. 

19 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Totally agree, They are one of the worst embassy's on helping their people, that's for sure. I had numerous arguments with their counselor staff because lack of help over the years to the point that I have stopped using my Canadian passport altogether as I'm a duel citizen of another country.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

I had to renew my passport recently.

The staff at the Phuket Consulate General couldn't have been any more helpful, friendly and efficient. 

Passport renewal is straight forward.

Try getting a residence certificate. Other embassies yes. Oz no.

Statutory declaration No. Other embassies yes.

Current covid-19 letter from embassy.

Think Oz is only one to not provide. 

Helpful?? Hardly.

• Like 1