Canadian Consular-Visa Extensions

For those not registered with the Canadian Embassy:

Dear Canadian(s),

You are receiving this email because you are registered with the Government of Canada’s Registration of Canadians Abroad (ROCA) service.

EMBASSY RE-OPENING ON APRIL 1 FOR ESSENTIAL SERVICES
Please be advised that the Embassy of Canada to Thailand will re-open for essential services only on Wednesday April 1, 2020. The Embassy was temporarily closed on Tuesday, March 31, after an employee in the office tower that houses the Embassy of Canada tested positive for COVID-19 (the case was on a different floor in the building and did not occur within the Embassy itself). Building management has disinfected all common areas of the building and a decision to re-open the Embassy was taken after consultation with Thai and Canadian authorities.

CONSULAR SERVICES
The Embassy of Canada to Thailand is currently prioritizing essential services, with a focus on providing support to Canadians trying to return to Canada. Non-urgent routine services will not be provided at this time. Most urgent consular services are being provided remotely. For health reasons and to reduce risk to clients and staff, we encourage Canadians in need of urgent consular assistance in Thailand to contact the Embassy of Canada remotely, by sending an email to [email protected]. You can also contact the Emergency Watch and Response Centre in Ottawa at +1-613-996-8885 or by email at [email protected].

VISA EXTENSION REQUESTS
The Government of Canada has advised all Canadians to cancel non-essential travel abroad and for Canadian travellers to consider returning home.  Assisting Canadians attempting to return to Canada remains a top priority for Consular personnel. We recognize, however, that options for return to Canada are rapidly diminishing and that some Canadians are resident abroad on a long-term basis. In this context, the Embassy will, as of April 1, undertake to provide supporting letters for Canadians seeking visa extensions in Thailand. For all such requests, we would kindly ask that you contact the Embassy via email, at [email protected], and not to appear in person.

• Like 1

Good to see they've assessed and addressed the situation quickly and were able to open again within a day. Hopefully, most if not all who needed or wanted to leave are already back in Canada hoping that Trudeau and its citizens can keep the US situation south of the 49th parallel. 

• Like 1

Embassy of Canada in Bangkok is usually unresponsive for any requests for assistance by Canadians. In the past whenever I have sent an email to the embassy they have never responded. Also, if you phone them, an automated attendant answers and a voice recording says to send an email.

Edited by Banana7

50 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Embassy of Canada in Bangkok is usually unresponsive for any requests for assistance by Canadians. In the past whenever I have sent an email to the embassy they have never responded. Also, if you phone them, an automated attendant answers and a voice recording says to send an email.

Could of been lot worse. You could have had an Australian passport

Canada is out of control. Nobody is wearing masks, people are just roaming around in TO.  Warm weather is coming it will be a disaster.  Cases are double , hospitals will soon be overwhelmed. I donno know but Thailand is probably better place to be.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

Canada is out of control. Nobody is wearing masks, people are just roaming around in TO.  Warm weather is coming it will be a disaster.  Cases are double , hospitals will soon be overwhelmed. I donno know but Thailand is probably better place to be.

Quite happy to be home!

thailand a better place to be???

i hardly think so!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

Quite happy to be home!

thailand a better place to be???

i hardly think so!

In terms of viral spread it may well be better. A bit early to call it, but the measures are getting pretty strict. Unless they do an about turn, I can't see it getting out of control.

1 hour ago, Don Chance said:

Where are you in Canada? I wouldn't say it's out of control here. It's true that people generally aren't wearing masks, but social distancing, closures, and other precautions are clearly in place. I went to the LCBO yesterday to get my mother some wine, and they were only allowing 5 people at a time into the very large store. As far as masks go, why would I put one on if I'm just going outside for a walk and not interacting with anyone? If I run into one of my neighbors who is also out for a walk, we can very easily keep a safe distance away from each other and chat.

But I think we'll see more of us wearing at least a cloth one while shopping or in public as we're now being told, logically, that it can help reduce the spread. Besides that, if Trump refuses to wear one, doing the opposite must be a good thing. ????  

At least you've been honest enough to admit at the end of your post that you actually "donno". 

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Could of been lot worse. You could have had an Australian passport

I had to renew my passport recently.

The staff at the Phuket Consulate General couldn't have been any more helpful, friendly and efficient. 

19 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Totally agree, They are one of the worst embassy's on helping their people, that's for sure. I had numerous arguments with their counselor staff because lack of help over the years to the point that I have stopped using my Canadian passport altogether as I'm a duel citizen of another country.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

I had to renew my passport recently.

The staff at the Phuket Consulate General couldn't have been any more helpful, friendly and efficient. 

Passport renewal is straight forward.

Try getting a residence certificate. Other embassies yes. Oz no.

Statutory declaration No. Other embassies yes.

Current covid-19 letter from embassy.

Think Oz is only one to not provide. 

Helpful?? Hardly.

• Like 1

I've been most impressed with the Bangkok based Canadian Consular service support during this COVID-19 pandemic and I have received a number of emails from them - trying to be helpful wrt repatriation flights. 

Also, back in December last year, before all this CoVID-19 started in Thailand, the Canadian Consular service was helpful in certifying my marriage certificate to my Thai wife (we were married in Canada back in year 2001), where I needed that certification by them, so to register my marriage here in Thailand (where that was needed so to go for an Extension on my "permission to stay" in Thailand based on marriage, where my original Visa is a type-OA).  

The Canadian Consular service was a small piece of that process that I had to go through, and they did not let me down.

My perspective is "kudos to them" for their hard work.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Don Chance said:

That is not True.............people are not roaming around TO..........just spoke to my son who is a Police Officer and also to a friend.........they tell me it is like a ghost town there. Verify before you spread lies.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, john2147 said:

That is not True.............people are not roaming around TO..........just spoke to my son who is a Police Officer and also to a friend.........they tell me it is like a ghost town there. Verify before you spread lies.

Not true at all, there is tons of traffic on the road. i drove by the beaches and there were 100 people jogging. The government is trying to control people, but they don't care they are drunk and stoned.

No one is wearing mask. Everyone is going to shop at walmart of no frills, the greeter does not have a mask. Many people are going to their jobs. I saw the bus driver, he wasn't even wearing a mask. All these people are being exposed to the virus for sure, they will just infect more people.

The situation in the GTA is exploding, it will like NYC or Spain in a couple of weeks. It is the same western people who are not taking it seriously. Even the government is prediction 100,000 deaths in Ontario in the next 4 weeks.
I would much rather be on some beach in Thailand now. In Thailand it is spreading very slowly and the government will control people. It is much easier to isolate oneself in Thailand. Canada is too sparse.

1 hour ago, Don Chance said:

Not true at all, there is tons of traffic on the road. i drove by the beaches and there were 100 people jogging. The government is trying to control people, but they don't care they are drunk and stoned.

Really, now you're claiming that the Canada gov't is drunk and stoned?  Even if you've just poorly stated that everybody in Canada is drunk and stoned, I don't think people are going to believe you, anyway. I don't know the crowd you associate with, but to me It's just such a ludicrous thing to say.

People are jogging, and you feel that will contribute to the spread of Covid-19? I guess if they were jogging as a tight group, that would do it, but I'd bet very big money that they were keeping at least the 2-meters apart rule that virtually everybody I've seen carefully follows. We have been encouraged here to get outside and get some exercise as the logic seems clear that if doing it in accordance with the distancing rules, it doesn't add to any danger of spreading the problem, and exercise is good for your immunity system. 

Now, let's get to the traffic. You do realize that cars don't spread viruses, right? I can imagine that cabin fever has set in with some people, and they'd just like to go for a drive to break the boredom. So, they get into their car, cruise around for a while then go back to their house -- use up some of that cheap petrol. How have they contributed to the spread? As far as most traffic, almost all non-essential businesses have been ordered closed in Toronto (TO) and all of Ontario, but people still have to get groceries and function at least at a survival level, and they'll logically drive to stores to get what's needed. We've been asked to minimize our outing, but there are always going to be people who will push the rules a bit. 

Life still has to function to some degree, and let's just all hope that the peak of this is seen soon -- perhaps within a week or two as many experts are projecting. There are still many unknowns with this novel virus, and I can understand strong concerns. I have them too, but we have to be realistic about how much we can and can't do. If things don't peak and level off within a week or two, then I think we'll see stronger actions and everyone wearing some form of mask when in public.  

Edited by Inn Between

Just finished my quarantine , came into the city from our family cottage. Lineup outside the bank as other stores etc, they regulate the number of people in the establishments. 

I was given a mask and sanitizer entering a clnic today. 

And to say Canada ( being the second largest country in the world) is too sparse to isolate in????? <deleted> buddy! Put down the crCk pipe. 

But it's safer with all the mongers n Thailand ordering dial a virus. Saw photos yesterday of the lowlifes and whores congregating in front of mikes mall

Thailand <deleted> the bed big time with the virus. Total screw up, 

No I'm afraid to say banana land is not the place to be.

Edited by Ron jeremy

21 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Passport renewal is straight forward.

Try getting a residence certificate. Other embassies yes. Oz no.

Statutory declaration No. Other embassies yes.

Current covid-19 letter from embassy.

Think Oz is only one to not provide. 

Helpful?? Hardly.

Well, the topic was about the CANADIAN Embassy - not the AUSTRALIAN Embassy. ????

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, time2093 said:

They are one of the worst embassy's on helping their people, that's for sure. I had numerous arguments with their counselor staff because lack of help over the years to the point that I have stopped using my Canadian passport altogether as I'm a duel citizen of another country.

When I lived in BKK, I never had any problems with the Canadian Embassy, nor the COnsular staff (don't know about the counselor staff in the Consular Section, as I have never heard of that section).  I do have DUAL citizenship but with another country not a duEl citizen of another country.  If you are a DUAL citizen of another country that is rather a strange event as most countries only have one citizenship, even Switzerland that has four Cantons each with a different ethnic nationality, French, German, Italian, and Romansh but they all carry a Swiss passport and I cannot find a single country, although I could be wrong, that allows two citizenships with two passports within its borders.  Even people from Quebec carry a Canadian passport as they are Canadian citizens whether they like it or not.  Just out of curiosity did you learn English in Thailand?

'nuf sed. 

Edited by wotsdermatter
slight error removed

8 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

When I lived in BKK, I never had any problems with the Canadian Embassy, nor the COnsular staff (don't know about the counselor staff in the Consular Section, as I have never heard of that section).  I do have DUAL citizenship but with another country not a duEl citizen of another country.  If you are a DUAL citizen of another country that is rather a strange event as most countries only have one citizenship, even Switzerland that has four Cantons each with a different ethnic nationality, French, German, Italian, and Romansh but they all carry a Swiss passport and I cannot find a single country, although I could be wrong, that allows two citizenships with two passports within its borders.  Even people from Quebec carry a Canadian passport as they are Canadian citizens whether they like it or not.  Just out of curiosity did you learn English in Thailand?

'nuf sed. 

Canada somewhat famously allows almost anyone to get a passport (or a second one if they already have a Canadian one) and keep it even if you get convicted on terrorism charges for planning attacks on Canadians in Canada !!

(True story. The guy was an immigrant, gained citizenship, was arrested with a bunch of other immigrants in a plot to commit mass murder in downtown Toronto, sent to prison. When the Conservative Party came into power, they passed a law allowing the government to strip the citizenship from such people, and they did.
However, when the Liberal Party formed the government a few years later, they made it a priority to overturn that law and they restored citizenship to that terrorist !!)

And if you happen to have a baby while in Canada, it automatically qualifies for citizenship and because they can't separate child from parents, the parents can then also apply for citizenship (without having to go through all the normal procedures).

The best part is, once you have that citizenship you can then immediately start sponsoring "immediate" members of your family (brothers/sisters/parents/etc) !

It was a big scam back in the 70s when they discovered that a large number of Italians and Albanians (and others) were bringing their parents over and once they were in country, signing them up for the Old Age Pension. After the first cheque arrived, they'd get the parents to sign it, then ship them back to the "old country" and simply forge their signatures on all the cheques that kept rolling in.

They also have a problem with "satellite kids" in places like Vancouver. Large Chinese population. People come over, buy a house (no need to make a nominal company or anything silly like that), get their citizenship, bring their kids over, enrol them in Canadian schools and then fly back to Hong Kong (or wherever) and leave the kids on their own. (These are kids in their late teens, usually going to University). 
Cheaper for the parents to buy a house in Canada and put their kids in university than it would be to do the same thing "back home".

The issue of "Canadians by convenience" was highlighted a few years ago when Israel invaded Lebanon after Hezbollah had been firing rockets into Israel for some time.
Suddenly, over 50,000 Lebanese citizens suddenly remembered that they actually were Canadian, whipped out their shiny, never been used Canadian passports and started demanding that Canada evacuate them.
Which they did. Canada chartered aircraft and passenger ships and transported everyone to Cyprus.

Some complained to the media afterwards because they hadn't been given "1st class accommodations" on the cruise ship ! (Seriously - not a word of a lie !)
Within a month, over 70% of those "Canadians" were back in Lebanon. Within 3 months apparently almost all of them had returned. No doubt making sure to tuck that "get out of here in a hurry" card back in a safe spot.

This issue was the subject of another article just recently as well. It seems that there are "millions" of Canadians "travelling abroad" at any one time. Pretty amazing as the numbers they are talking about represent almost 10% of the total population !
And many of those "tourists" also started showing up at Embassy's - complete with their shiny, never been used before passports that they suddenly remembered they had - after a crisis broke out.

In Australia, you can be a Member of Parliament if you have dual citizenship but you can't be a Cabinet Minister (or Prime Minister).

Meanwhile in Canada, our Minister of National Defence has dual Indian/Canadian Citizenship. As do many other senior Cabinet ministers. A couple more are dual Indian/Canadian, a couple are Pakistani/Canadian, one is Afghani/Canadian (or Iranian/Canadian depending on which story she's plying now). The leader of the Conservative Party apparently has American and Canadian citizenship (I think it's him) and another Minister is a dual French (as in France) and Canadian. I think he's the current Finance Minister actually.

So yes, plenty of conflicted allegiances when it comes to dual citizens in Canada !

9 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

'nuf sed. 

Let me guess, You must be from Quebec of PEI as you sound pretty clueless to think you cant have more then one citizenship living in a country.

44 minutes ago, time2093 said:

Let me guess, You must be from Quebec of PEI as you sound pretty clueless to think you cant have more then one citizenship living in a country.

Also to KerryD

First, no, I do not reside where you say, so you are clueless on that point.  Second, I did not say that you cannot have more than one citizenship living in a country.  Third, if you read correctly, my point was that if, like Switzerland which has four Cantons each with a different nationality and language, or Quebec which is similar but located in Canada, then you cannot have a passport from each of those locations as they are deemed to belong to the country, i.e. Switzerland and Canada, and as such receive only one passport at a time from that country, not multiple passports, one from each location.  I never said that it is impossible to have more than one citizenship while living in a country.  I have dual citizenship and would not give up either one but my passports are from two different countries not, e.g. Canada and Ontario or Quebec, etc., two different parts of the same country not from within the same country.

'nuf sed.