Payment for items at 7/11 shops during the Covid19 risks

Speedo1968

Cashless with no receipt.

But, they mostly have to touch the purchase to scan it so there is some risk.

The employees at the shop near me are wearing gloves.  Although, the gloves protect them, they are filthy dirty.

• Haha 1

I don't know what it's like to live in Khon Kaen, but it might help if you wore a mask and gloves, unless you already do and I've misunderstood your post. I live in Bangkok and I get stared at critically if I venture out without a mask, but when I wear one, people relax. (By critically, I mean more critical than usual!) 
The idea of a tray is a good idea - I went to McDs drive thru last night and the girl had a little tupperware box for me to put my card into - didn't even want to touch my card. 
The reason Thai's are like this is there's news that some delivery drives have got Covid19 from touching packaging so that seems to be the way it's being transmitted. 
Another option is just taking your own tray! I mean you're taking your own bag, so why not a tray?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Crossy said:

I use the TrueMoney Wallet app on my phone. Non-contact and no fiddling with change.

It was Thai-only but is now available to all.

Excuse my tech ignorance but how does that work exactly  ? Is it linked to your Thai bank account ?

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

I use the TrueMoney Wallet app on my phone. Non-contact and no fiddling with change.

It was Thai-only but is now available to all.

This is some good news/information for me.

I have applied before, when they just introduced the TrueMoney Wallet, the registration went well and I deposited 1000b.

Not long after they updated and required the laser number from the ID card, and my wallet was suspended and I couldn't reactivate it.

Contacted the Truemoney at their booth at one of the expos, but to no avail and it was 'for Thais only', and the deposit couldn't be retrieved.

If you said so, wella then I will re-apply again just for the sake ???? 

The deposit will be into the bits, the number registered has expired since.

For payment at 7 eleven I use, and always has from the beginning of my stay here in Thailand, the 7eleven card. (Not the All-member one)

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

I'm not sure if a foreigner can link directly to a bank account (LinePay won't let you).

Perhaps like the TrueMoney Wallet 'Thai-Only' now 'Foreigner-Friendly'

103051.thumb.jpg.e63fbfa38cf772dec541cee27b1f97c8.jpg  103052.thumb.jpg.a56b3f6bfb0171ef7c4bb09b5e1d9550.jpg

But have to say, had this from the start the LinePay went Rabbit.

I forgot how it was before they connected with Rabbit.

I used it for a while (4 years) for paying bills, which now are done by AirPay.

15 minutes ago, Metropolitian said:

Perhaps like the TrueMoney Wallet 'Thai-Only' now 'Foreigner-Friendly'

Sadly still not available to me:-

Bangkok Bank says "cannot add due to an error or a foreigner account", SCB falls at the first hurdle as it needs a Thai ID card number.

Not really an issue, I can push money from Bangok Bank just not link my account to automatically pull.

3 hours ago, jadee said:

I don't know what it's like to live in Khon Kaen, but it might help if you wore a mask and gloves, unless you already do and I've misunderstood your post. I live in Bangkok and I get stared at critically if I venture out without a mask, but when I wear one, people relax. (By critically, I mean more critical than usual!) 
The idea of a tray is a good idea - I went to McDs drive thru last night and the girl had a little tupperware box for me to put my card into - didn't even want to touch my card. 
The reason Thai's are like this is there's news that some delivery drives have got Covid19 from touching packaging so that seems to be the way it's being transmitted. 
Another option is just taking your own tray! I mean you're taking your own bag, so why not a tray?

I wear a mask.
I use only cash.
I use a backpack when I go to town for market and shops.
One of the local banks staff were wearing gloves.

33 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

With True money wallet as well as 7 Eleven, can you use at Familymart and Big C?

Probably, an awful lot of places take it now, but since I don't use FamilyMart or Big-C I can't say for certain. The Pizza Company do take it as do Makro (not all locations apparently).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

With True money wallet as well as 7 Eleven, can you use at Familymart and Big C?

Familymart and BigC Mini both have Rabbit Card terminals. These cards are in Bangkok used on the BTS transporting and you can pay small amounts here and there. (a lot outlets)

I can't confirm if can use the TrueMove Wallet there.

At the Big C superstore I pay with the ATM card but occasionally with an app that is using QR code scanning method.

There are online banking app that has those scanning feature too and that way you can pay contactless.

With 7eleven I use my classic 7card which I top up cash time-by-time.

26 minutes ago, Metropolitian said:

Familymart and BigC Mini both have Rabbit Card terminals. These cards are in Bangkok used on the BTS transporting and you can pay small amounts here and there. (a lot outlets)

I can't confirm if can use the TrueMove Wallet there.

At the Big C superstore I pay with the ATM card but occasionally with an app that is using QR code scanning method.

There are online banking app that has those scanning feature too and that way you can pay contactless.

With 7eleven I use my classic 7card which I top up cash time-by-time.

Do you need a Rabbit card or is it an app like True money wallet?

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Do you need a Rabbit card or is it an app like True money wallet?

The rabbit card is a real card which you top up and use it as a credit-card.

(As in card with onboard credit, not card giving you credit which is a Creditcard)

You can link the Rabbit card with the Rabbit LinePay app for topping.

LinePay is an wallet module in the communication app Line.

For TrueMoney Wallet you can buy a card which can be linked to the TrueMoney Wallet, it's called TrueYou but I haven't seen much benefit to use it just for that.

Another way to pay is with the system PromptPay, directly from your banking app to the seller. Recipient can be their phonenumber or ID number.
I have found many small food vendors accepting either Promptpay as LinePay, they have a QR code on display and will get a message on their phone as payment acknowledgement.

For as I know there are 3 common 'real' cards in use and the rest are application and a few have cards that can be linked.

The tree are : The regular ATM Card, The Rabbit Card and the 7eleven card.

And then of course there are a few other cards, rfid, point/bonuscard or fictive visa cards but they are not widely used as the tree mentioned above.

Have a MangMoom card somewhere in the drawer, it was introduced to be a card that can be used on all transportation and even more then that, made public a few years ago but besides on the Purple Line it is not widely integrated yet.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Crossy said:

You can load money from you bank account using internet banking or link it to a local credit card (you can do both and choose the source of funds when paying).

I'm not sure if a foreigner can link directly to a bank account (LinePay won't let you).

You can also put money on the card in the cp shops i read on the website.

His total cost of his purchases in 7/11 usually not too high.

He keeps a lot of coins in his pocket, pulled from an old savings jar.

When he sees the total on the register he puts the exact amount or a bit over the amount on the counter and if there should be change he tells the staff 'never mind' and walks away.

Also never touches the door when he goes in or out and avoids touching the furniture.