money exchange

phetpeter

I return from working overseas with lovely brand new US dollars, went to the banks as it is time to top up bank account, and the bank refuse to take the money stating the central bank has stopped all foreign money exchanges. So my problem is have money can't use it? Does anyone know where I can't change US for Thai baht? I live in Phetchabun.

The OP says Phetchabun :smile:

Indeed many if not all banks have stopped money exchange.

So basically the question is:

are there (private) money exchangers in Phetchabun open?

I can't help and searching reveals rubbish.

• Like 1

Hello, I had the same problem but money changing at Super Rich is still possible then with a special ATM machine you can put it on your account (at least Kasikorn it is possible). 

Hope you can find a place to change your money. 

Not sure how restrictive the central bank order is but you could try opening a foreign currency account and take out baht from that if there is a large sum involved. Subject to the vagaries of the exchange rate when you want to withdraw.

I suppose The quick answer would be Is there anybody in Phetchabun who is able and willing to exchange Thai baht cash for USD, I only want to exchange 1000 usd for ( I am willing to accept 31000 THB). My company will start paying direct bank deposits later this month. 

• Like 1

I'm currently in the US and changed some Thai Baht to USD at the local branch of Bangkok Bank.  But effective around the 16th of March they stopped doing any exchange at the bank and I had to get rid of my excess Thai baht at Super Rich at Swampy before I left.  I expect that the order only affects the banks and not any of the exchange outlets located in Bangkok.  Put money exchange Petchabun into google and you will get a list on many places in Petchabun Province,  all in Thai with no websites, but I imagine that you could contact one of them and do the exchange for a <deleted>ty rate but probably cheaper than driving to Bangkok.

46 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

I'm not sure I understand the purpose of the ban on money exchange. Is it to avoid infection from foreign notes? or is it some strange economic measure?

... braindead clowns in charge mate, at literally every level, ridiculous knee-jerking if I ever saw one - nothing new here either, just put out for everyone to see now, again ...

Letting tourists in up to the last damn (im)possible minute, then refusing to change their dough ...??! GFY!

Yeah, like plenty fellow posters already mentioned, just hope people will remember these total failures when they're about to book their next vacation ...

• Confused 1