Decent Cup of Tea

andy72

15 minutes ago, NightSky said:

For a proper brew...

I still have months worth of the best Yorkshire tea from my previous visit to the UK..

Taylors_of_Harrogate_Yorkshire_Tea_160_m

Finally, a proper tea. Makes me feel all at home. For the OP, the Yorkshire Tea breakfast brew is stronger, but probably not relevant as I can't find Yorkshire Tea in Thailand at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/5/2020 at 5:14 AM, BritManToo said:

I think it's 115bht for 80.

Although they never have them in stock, so order 4 packets at a time online which bumps up the price a bit.

Already on my second mug this morning ........ bloody ants!

tea.jpg

I discovered ants in my cereal recently. I put the packet in the freezer to kill them ,added milk and tucked in. I understand why the Thais eat mut daeng now! ???? 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, NightSky said:

For a proper brew...

I still have months worth of the best Yorkshire tea from my previous visit to the UK..

Taylors_of_Harrogate_Yorkshire_Tea_160_m

Fresh from the plantations just outside Bradford, no doubt.

Tea in Harrogate tastes nice because the water is soft.

Tea in Norwich tastes foul, is black rather than light brown and has an oil slick on top. The water is very hard.

And you need a brown Betty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you like leaf tea try, Tramue tea. Can find in Makro, 64 baht for 400 grams - a bargain! It is very strong, i only use half a spoonful for a 2 cup pot. Comes in a red and white foil bag. Quaiity .... ah ..... erm - well, it's cheap ......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alien365 said:

Finally, a proper tea. Makes me feel all at home. For the OP, the Yorkshire Tea breakfast brew is stronger, but probably not relevant as I can't find Yorkshire Tea in Thailand at all.

Saw some in Villa Market Suk 11 (BKK) about 6 months ago. Can't remember the price, but they weren't cheap. Still, when the current UK supplies dry up I might need to see if that Villa still sells them.

• Thanks 1

I've been getting Barry's tea from Ireland. Was dying to try in for years, what with my name and all, but it was expensive. But a couple of years ago I checked their website and was able to get some in a special edition tin at a good price. I get 100 bags for around 7 Euros including postage now, and can use each bag twice so great value. I looked at the Twinings website today, and they charge over 26 quid postage. Why? Why?

20180518_111314.jpg

1 hour ago, Paul DS said:

I buy these in the UK as well, makes a good cuppa....and in the UK a box of 80 is £1.10...makes a change from Yorkshire Tea.

I just now had a mug of it, but I must say that the "Tesco finest" brand (Assam and English Breakfast, not Earl Grey) is far superior to (my) taste. This is also reflected by the fact that the shelves at Tesco carry the "Original" in abundance whereas the "finest" is sold out. At least in the big shop on North Road that is.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, scunner3 said:

Saw some in Villa Market Suk 11 (BKK) about 6 months ago. Can't remember the price, but they weren't cheap. Still, when the current UK supplies dry up I might need to see if that Villa still sells them.

Nothing is cheap in Villa Market unless it's a special offer.

• Like 1

I get PG tips from Lazada - 4 boxes at a time, I don't know if that is strong but they taste great to me, I put it down to the pyramid shape and letting the flavour flood out.

You can order the Waitrose tea bags that someone else mentioned.

• Haha 1

On 4/5/2020 at 11:04 AM, BritManToo said:

I use these, each bag good for 3 or 4 mugs of tea, 80 bags last me 3 months.

I've got a 6 month supply in the cupboard.

tesco tea.jpg

Been using these for two years...was always a PG man but these beat PG hands down...good for two strong cups...I got the last two boxes off the shelf last month

• Like 2

When in UK, go Costco buy Taylors Yorkshire Tea in big bags of 480 retails £10 but nearly always av 10% offer on them, I useually bring 4 bags in a case with other goodies , Vimto, wine gums, cheese

Also Like a cup of Earl Grey at night... 

2 hours ago, mrfill said:

Fresh from the plantations just outside Bradford, no doubt.

Tea in Harrogate tastes nice because the water is soft.

Tea in Norwich tastes foul, is black rather than light brown and has an oil slick on top. The water is very hard.

And you need a brown Betty.

Yorkshire Tea also sell teabags for hard water areas. I'll admit I have never tried it though 

images.jpeg

On 4/5/2020 at 11:20 AM, xylophone said:

Yes, there was version of this which was rated 1, 2 or 3 in degrees of strength, but have been unable to find it lately.

One tea bag per cup suits fine.

This is not tea, this is bloody teabags.

Tea is made from tea leaves.

I give up, I really do.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, fantom said:

I give up, I really do.

Tea bags have been used for centuries in the tea industry. The bags were initially developed in the 8th century under the rule of the Tang Dynasty.

Best you give up then!!!!????

• Like 1

Well at one time in my life - was training as a tea taster - looking to go off to warmer climes to manage tea estates - never quite happened.

The tea in these tea bags - fannings ( or even worse sweepings) 

You really need a fabulous tea - perhaps Darjeeling BOP - just the full size leaves from the tip of the plant - use water about 86 degrees - leave for 5 mins .

Easy to buy in Bangkok - Tesco not sure . 

On 4/5/2020 at 11:34 AM, Crossy said:

I've just run out of my imported Tetleys, the next delivery was due last weekend but with the current travel situation it's still sitting in the UK with the family (grandkids) who were bringing it.

I quite like the Dilmah 100% Ceylon but cheap it is not ????

ShotType1_540x540.jpg

dont know why sri lanka tea is so expensive.  maybe not asean member ??

in sri lanka you wil find tea up the wazoo and most is excellent and really cheap. dilmah is a luxury brand there so costs maybe 15% more but still a bargain.  in general black tea from there is excellent and there are tons of brands and usually cant tell difference between them and luxury brand or non luxury brand is rated higher

check out.  https://ratetea.com/brands_of_style.php?style_id=69

Actually the best tea I had I bought in China 

& YES loose tea 

Plus loose Puer

They were bloody marvelous and both could be used two or three times easily 

1 hour ago, fantom said:

I give up, I really do.

It is hard to find decent tea in India the place is full of scammers at least the Chinese take their tea seriously A good cake of Puer can cost an arm and a leg

But both teas I bought were not exactly cheap but well worth every penny

Never made it up to Darjeeling but buying anything in INdia if your not at the source is  just  asking to be ripped of 

i have bought this same tea many times in sri lanka. great stuff. package offered is sold in their supermarkets without elegant package but tea is great.  this is also very good price and free international shipping

Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 21.51.59.png

17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Available from Iherb.

Strangely enough when i visited North Carolina a few years back speaking of Irish tea, i was looking in a big store for English Breakfast Tea as it is usually called every where i've been, could'nt it find in the tea section, then found Irish Breakfast Tea, for some reason it seems Americans don't like giving credit too England or the English maybe with some justification, this is not to say of course that the Irish don't drink tea, as i'm sure they do!