Thailand reports 102 new coronavirus cases, three more deaths

rooster59

4 hours ago, wasabi said:

Remember most of the world sets safe PM 2.5 levels at around 25 but Thai's have much stronger lungs and an enduring sirit so 50 Micrograms is considered safe in Thailand. Therefore 100 Covid cases a day is no problem.

http://www.nationthailand.com/national/30338316

Heavy smoking, a habit common among Thai men, apparently made a significant contribution to the higher death toll among men with COVID 19 in Wuhan. Let's hope the recent Thai government campaigns against this unhealthy habit have had an effect.

2 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Heavy smoking, a habit common among Thai men, apparently made a significant contribution to the higher death toll among men with COVID 19 in Wuhan. Let's hope the recent Thai government campaigns against this unhealthy habit have had an effect.

Seriously, you think for one minute that someone who smoked for 20 years and has only recently stopped when the government started their campaign to stop people from smoking has improved their lung health....nice try.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Better to educate people about how to self protect properly at home and in public, practice real social distancing and importance of personal hygiene.

Richard Barrows showed a Tweet on his local market today and there were hundreds of people there and no social distancing at all. My local market is much the same. In general the message is not getting through to people.

Most people in my village go to the markets twice a day for food and gossip between friends. Nothing in this regard has changed in my area. My wife's best friend (who is not allowed to visit) goes to the market three times a day and has contact with hundreds of people at a time, yet does not seem worried at all.

Has this changed at all in your areas? Are the Thais practicing social distancing?

"Nevertheless, regardless of whether we calculate environmental preferences of the SARS-CoV-2 Coronavirus using the total numbers of incidences or their presence and absence, it appears the virus favors cool and dry conditions being largely absent under extremely cold and very hot and wet conditions "

"Another study conducted between 11 March and 22 May 2003 in Hong Kong showed that SARS-CoV incidences sharply decreased as temperature increased from 15ºC to 29ºC,after which it practically disappeared."

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.12.20034728v1.full.pdf

Edited by Timwin

5 hours ago, bangkokfrog said:

We seem to be fairly consistent in the daily number of new cases and deaths, whereas in most other countries the increase is exponential. Is this the world's best medical hub or what?

According to the WHO (and they should know), the world's sixth best hub

The situation will get worse when the hospitals are saturated, which is bound to happen. Do they announce on TV/ press how many beds and ventilators they have, or have left ? How many are they testing  daily ? Unfortunately, many of the testing kits have been reported giving  false negative results ! There have been many batches of tests delivered to Europe that are faulty.  I think Thailand has to wait another 2 to 4 weeks to see the results of confinement, and the consequences of the hundreds of thousands ( millions ?) of workers leaving the cities for home, or arriving back in Thailand from overseas . Only then you will see the true figures. 

Yep, it's happening in my local market as well. 

Stupidity / ignorance I don't know.

I believe Superiority complex is either developed from a defensive need to overcome inferiority - 

is the problem. They just cannot be told they are wrong in anything they do or in the way they behave.

I can understand some Thai when people talk, and the unabashed arrogance I hear is just incredible.

Edited by OneeyedJohn
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Much the same as your area, local food/vegetable markets are as crowded as ever, no social distancing what-so-ever.

I'd say out of 10 Thais 2 are not wearing any masks, older generation and young kids seem to be the main offenders. convenience stores like the typical 7-11's are as crowded as ever, again no social distancing.

They just don't get it.... the message is loud and clear but how do you cure stupidity/ignorance whichever you wish to call it.

They think the mask makes them immune. It’s a (non) educational thing and they think they are infallible. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

It's just another aggregator site. Raw data is not reliable as MoPH does not publish the numbers.

They keep extremely accurate figures of all countries so the raw data must be gathered from somewhere and in the absence of Moph transparency its all we've got at present.

6 hours ago, bangkokfrog said:

We seem to be fairly consistent in the daily number of new cases and deaths, whereas in most other countries the increase is exponential. Is this the world's best medical hub or what?

It's a hub for sure; but it ain't medical.

2 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

Richard Barrows showed a Tweet on his local market today and there were hundreds of people there and no social distancing at all. My local market is much the same. In general the message is not getting through to people.

Most people in my village go to the markets twice a day for food and gossip between friends. Nothing in this regard has changed in my area. My wife's best friend (who is not allowed to visit) goes to the market three times a day and has contact with hundreds of people at a time, yet does not seem worried at all.

Has this changed at all in your areas? Are the Thais practicing social distancing?

Not a lot!  A lot are wearing masks and maybe using hand sanitizer.  Went down the road to our small land to water the yams and tatoes and riding past the road block site 5 lads where there sitting around and not one had a  mask on.  ????

2 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

I live in Ladprao in Bangkok. People are not practicing social distancing. Markets crowded. Friends sitting as close as ever as they sit and chat and drink at all hours of the day. Only about 20% wearing masks in the neighborhood though more outside the immediate area do. There are lines marked off at the local Big C to space people out while waiting to be rung up...but, people weren't honoring that spacing when I was there the last few times. 

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Seriously, you think for one minute that someone who smoked for 20 years and has only recently stopped when the government started their campaign to stop people from smoking has improved their lung health....nice try.  

Take with a grain of salt: Trying to read some of the studies (in flux) and from what the data seems to indicate smokers have an elevated risk for severe symptoms, but also ex-smokers (lesser percentage) do as well.  I cannot find any breakdown on data to break down the ex-smoker data further.

Edited by bkkcanuck8

4 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Whilst I am no Medical Expert what does testing hundreds prove, ok you could be clear but 2/3 days later you could contract it ?

My understanding is that all tests have a certain sensitivity for detecting antigen (virus) [assuming they are working] below which you are still infected but don't have enough virus in you to detect.  (usually not a problem on tests since the tests are usually ordered when you symptomatic or they are doing contact tracing - in which you have been notified that you contacted someone who was contagious a day or two ago... which should be enough time that by the time you have been tested it has replicated enough to be detected.  There has seemed to be a number of times that this has failed this time - don't know the reasons why (maybe secondary infection source, maybe some tests are not as good).

There is the argument that low testing rates give low infection results, and with most testing done in Bangkok one has to wonder whether Esarn is a time bomb in the making.

The U. S. Has about five times Thailands population. And have 331,000 cases. If Thai cases were proportional that would be about 60,000 cases. Considering Thailand had infections before the U. S. and has about 2500 now. That should be good news even if questioning the numbers here.