Back-tax fines and cost - buying used scooter

robsamui

Hi. Need some advice please.

Been looking for a clean used 125i Click. I've looked at 6 so far and each of them had paperwork problems - no book, book with an old name in it - and every one of them either had no current tax or hadn't been taxed for more than 3 years.

Finally found a bike that's OK - but the tax was last renewed in June 2560 - 2 years and 10 months ago.

I realise that after 3 years the book is cancelled - so I've got a couple of months to go . . .

But can anyone tell me what the cost in fines and back-tax will be for this? I need to haggle the seller down a bit as I'll have to pay for this.

TIA

• Like 1

you  would have to pay all back tax and the current tax, as well as the current years  insurance, with fines less than a 1,000thb, all in. a government test will also be needed if over 7 years old, you will need lots of paperwork, from the seller signed transfer form + power of attorney + id card and house book copies, if registered in another province then a change of registration numbers will be required, involve at least one trip to car tax office 

2 minutes ago, robsamui said:

But can anyone tell me what the cost in fines and back-tax will be for this? I need to haggle the seller down a bit as I'll have to pay for this.

The 3 years thing is not true, the cost is small about 101 baht for each year.

I paid 807 bahts for 7 years non payment of bike road tax for my bike when I took it to DLT to inspect.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

The 3 years thing is not true

Unless the law has been amended:

Section 35/3.39 In respect of the vehicle defaulting annual tax payment for three consecutive years, the registration shall cease.

Source: http://web.krisdika.go.th/data/outsitedata/outsite21/file/Vehicle_Act_BE_2522_(1979).pdf

Edited by eisfeld
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Well it might be still in place for as it says registration,  all can say it was 6.5 years non-payment road tax for my bike and they gave me a new book and I wanted a new number anyway for my province, I paid for back tax, new number and number plate, the 7 year inspection,  and 1 year gov insurance .

THANKS for all the info and help.

When did they scrap the 3 years no-tax-and-book-dead law?
It used to be 5 years (or 7??) then about 4 years back they made it 3 years - now it is scrapped altogether?

Really?

AFAIK it's about 20,000B (and close to 80K or more for a big bike) for a new book under 200cc - plus all the other paperwork, costs and hassles.

Edited by robsamui

8 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well it might be still in place for as it says registration,  all can say it was 6.5 years non-payment road tax for my bike and they gave me a new book and I wanted a new number anyway for my province, I paid for back tax, new number and number plate, the 7 year inspection,  and 1 year gov insurance .

So you are actually confirming that the registration was cancelled and a new book and plate had to be issued.

7 minutes ago, robsamui said:

THANKS for all the info and help.

When did they scrap the 3 years no-tax-and-book-dead law?
It used to be 5 years (or 7??) then about 4 years back they made it 3 years - now it is scrapped altogether?

Really?

AFAIK it's about 20,000B (and close to 80K or more for a big bike) for a new book under 200cc - plus all the other paperwork, costs and hassles.

Not sure where you got all that information from but the law that I linked is pretty old and said 3 years. And only Kwasaki said that that's not the case but pretty sure that's not right (e.g. the law is still in effect).

It's definitely not 20k THB or 80K for a big bike. Where did you get this idea?

If some shops charge 3k THB for registration and that includes a profit margin for them, what do you think the real price is?

If it's not a Surat registered bike...the plates will be cancelled so another reregister thing to do....unless you wanna go wherever it's registered...surely must be hundreds of ex rentals up for grabs...why make things difficult

12 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

So you are actually confirming that the registration was cancelled and a new book and plate had to be issued.

OK if you wish to put that way and it's important to you, I guess so there was no mention of the bike being impounded and destroy as people on here like to think it would. 

8 minutes ago, Metropolitian said:

Interesting..  Have a bike here with tax sticker 2558.

Want to get it on the road legal again, but if the registration is really expired...

It can be done the bike just has to be inspected by DLT to see that it's roadworthy. 

26 minutes ago, Metropolitian said:

Interesting..  Have a bike here with tax sticker 2558.

Want to get it on the road legal again, but if the registration is really expired...

I wouldn't worry. Just takes a bit more time to get a new book, probably a few more tests etc. I would give it a try.

19 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

OK if you wish to put that way and it's important to you, I guess so there was no mention of the bike being impounded and destroy as people on here like to think it would. 

What? Why would anyone thinkg a bike would be impounded and destroyed? I don't think anyone thinks that Oo

Edited by eisfeld

5 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

I wouldn't worry. Just takes a bit more time to get a new bike, probably a few more tests etc. I would give it a try.

What? Why would anyone thinkg a bike would be impounded and destroyed? I don't think anyone thinks that Oo

Well you tell me you seem to be the expert.

All I did is say what had done with a bike over 3 years out of date with road tax and you're making an issue of it. 

If you don't like the true of what I have to say or what I think other people on here think don't read it. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well you tell me you seem to be the expert.

All I did is say what had done with a bike over 3 years out of date with road tax and you're making an issue of it. 

If you don't like the true of what I have to say or what I think other people on here think don't read it. 

Not sure why this is going the direction it's going but all I said was that yes when the bike has not been taxed for 3 years it seems that the registration is cancelled and a new one has to be done. You said that's not the case so I provided references as to why I think it is.

That means the transfer is not instant as it normally would be if the registration was still valid. So, instead of just going to the DLT, the current owner backpaying the taxes and then moving the bike to over to the new owner right that day and the buyer handing over the cash, the current owner would have to backpay the taxes and get a new registration for the bike which is a bit more involved and from my experience also not instant. It's not a showstopper though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Not sure where you got all that information from but the law that I linked is pretty old and said 3 years. And only Kwasaki said that that's not the case but pretty sure that's not right (e.g. the law is still in effect).

If some shops charge 3k THB for registration and that includes a profit margin for them, what do you think the real price is?

A new book cost me 350baht or 450 baht can't remember not expensive and not any hassle what so ever I would say to anyone go to DLT and get it sorted. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eisfeld said:

When the green book expires it's not simply a question of some kind of transferring process, the bike is treated as a new and unregistered vehicle and needs a completely new registration document issuing, with new plates, I believe.

I understand that just about every province interprets the law in a different way - hence the conflicting opinions in the replies here.

The " "20K and 80K" is my oversight - I'm thinking about the cost of trying to register an imported bike with only an invoice - apologies, my bad, it's not the same thing at all.

It now turns out that my original question is irrelevant - seemingly the tax on the bike I want to buy is out of date by 3 years and 10 months (a shifty seller telling lies about the tax).

Thus I'll let him re-tax the bike, if he can with a dead book. THEN we'll go together to transfer the ownership, if that's possible, before I pay him anything.

Thanks again for all the (contrasting) info!

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 1

Yea I think it's a good idea to let him re-register the bike first and then do the transfer at the DLT with him. Not a good sign at all though if a bikes registration is not up2date. Maybe not even in the sellers name? Be careful and make sure it's all 100% ok. Also check the bike as many owners who don't even bother with road tax probably also don't follow any maintenance schedules.

• Like 1

Not what you are asking about, but there is a guy sells bikes on the bend opposite the little petrol station on the airport road.

Coming from Bangrak, about 200 metres after the little turn where you can cut back around the end of the runway.

He always seems to have, or can get what people people want.

I think all Hondas, but I might be wrong. All look clean.

HTH

16 hours ago, robsamui said:

The " "20K and 80K" is my oversight - I'm thinking about the cost of trying to register an imported bike with only an invoice - apologies, my bad, it's not the same thing at all.

Since 2012 - I think - impossible to register a second hand bike.

No matter what papers you have.

Unless you become a licensed importer, and jump thru a year of hoops.

Unless you know someone with some pull.

20 hours ago, eisfeld said:

I wouldn't worry. Just takes a bit more time to get a new book, probably a few more tests etc. I would give it a try.

Here at TV you have every opinion you can think of. A "friend of a friend" said this and that,then suddenly it becomes the truth. 

Fines are prorated, scooter 100฿/year and car 20%/year. If previews owner cancelled registration, there will be no fines. Pay for new plates and get new green or blue book. Just ask your friendly Land Transport officer. 

On 4/5/2020 at 12:47 PM, robsamui said:

I would negotiate with the seller that he gets this in order before you actually buy it.

• Like 2