Face mask

Badrabbit

39 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

If you don't want to read the articles  to get info don't comment on what you didn' see then.  It goes into affect after 2 PM today. How soon after remains to be seen. Doesn't take long to put police in an area , set up cones and barricades.  There are check points in different areas in Bangkok due to the curfew. Cars were being stoped last night , asked were you go ? I said home from shopping showed the supplies from Tesco Lotus in back seat. Cars from other Provinces were being turned away. From earlier article on TV over a 1,000 were arested , over 100 warned the others had reson to be out. ( shift workers, Dr's Nurses cleaning/sanitizing crews) Don't want to wear a mask ? Don't be upset when your fined or arrested or cannot enter stores. 

You realise this is the Phuket forum right?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, beechbum said:

Yes but I was answering the post of J Town and others about the reason to wear a mask. Doesn't really matter where in Thailand you are---- the subject concerns us all.  Since this is Phuket Forum the Governor of Phuket has already ordered everyone to wear a mask in public or face up to a 20,000 baht fine.

2 hours ago, beechbum said:

17 pages of irrelevant drivel and a few pertinent posts as usual. With lockdowns of varying extent some people clearly have too much time on their hands.

A shame people can't stick to their own areas of Thailand. Gumming up a thread with waffle stops people from seeing relevant info.  If I want to know about Bangkok, Pattaya. Nakkon Nowhere, etc I personally would go to the right bt of the forum not post stuff about Phuket on their areas.

I'd blame the Op for not putting 'Phuket' in the title even though its in the Phuket area of the Forums but last time I chastised someone for that they spat the dummy. ???? 

• Like 1

The main reason for me to wear a mask is that the other people around do not consider me impolite, inconsiderate, and do not stare and point their fingers and me and think I am crazy.

Now, a part from that it is true that scientists have argued back and forth that masks are useful vs. not useful. I am not scientist but I understand basic physics of saliva particles popping out of one mouth into other mouth or nose so I wear a mask also because I (I emphasize, ME) I believe it could prevent an infection.

None of that neglects the facts that the mask gets moist and <deleted>. Also the false feeling of being safe because you are wearing a mask (even people who wear it as a chin protector) is to be taken care off. Still, I do believe it simply helps blocking saliva particles to pop into/from your mouth/nose and thus I believe I am safer with it. I do not care what scientists say about it.

Now, another story is, wearing it in the car, not in the car, in the motorbike, etc... Me I just wear it when I get out of my apartment and till I am back and the only reason is  because I would find terribly annoying to be checking all the time if people are around and I need to put it on or I can remove it already that no people but two minutes later people around again. So I just wear it all the time because I find more annoying to be taking it off and putting it on again.

And by the way, I see equal amounts of Thai and Western people not wearing it. I do not see much difference. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tony125 said:

That opinion has been given here already, others differ. Coming up with the same arguments time and time again when there are contradicting arguments is not convincing.

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:

That opinion has been given here already, others differ. Coming up with the same arguments time and time again when there are contradicting arguments is not convincing.

It doesn't matter - the decree has come forth "thou shalt wear a mask when outside." Full stop. End of discussion.

20 minutes ago, J Town said:

It doesn't matter - the decree has come forth "thou shalt wear a mask when outside." Full stop. End of discussion.

That doesn't end the argument if wearing one is good yes or no.

On 4/5/2020 at 3:30 AM, Agusts said:

I couldn't believe the West resisted advising the mask, the only reasonable excuse given was that they may not be enough for everyone and for medics etc.

Yes, I am working in New Jersey not far from New York City and it was maddening that we could slow the spread and help flatten the curve if we wore masks, but they were not even suggesting people wear masks.  Granted the meds people need them, but by not pushing the use of masks, we no doubt sent more people to the medical people.  

At work they mandated masks for one day, then the next day sent out an email saying masks are voluntary.  They did not issue masks until this Thursday!  I now have a N95 mask.  Was not able to find or buy any type of mask in any of the stores that are open, Wal Mart, Staples, Stop and Shop, Shop Rite, Target, a Walgreens, etc.

The previous weeks they encouraged people to work from home if possible, tried to stagger shifts to minimize number of people in the facility, closed the conference rooms to allegedly reduce groups,  etc.   In the cafeteria they now pre cook the food and put in to go containers, no self serve like at the soup crock pots, put up a plexiglass screen between the cashier, etc. But they do NOT mandate the cafeteria workers to wear masks.  So as they move around, change positions, come into contact with a few hundred people a day, their isolation and containment idea is total BS.

I can tell you that if you properly fit and snug up that N95 mask around your nose, it does inhibit air flow quite measurably.  I move around in the test lab quite a lot, moving LRUs on and off the bench, some wiegh 20 to 44 pounds, moving LRUs down to the Big Test Room, back and forth to the environmental test lab, constantly getting up and down several times a minute to adjust the signal generator or tune the spectrum analyzer, etc.  I would not go jogging with a genuine, tightly fitted N 95 mask, unless you were oxygen shortage training as some athletes try.  So I am sure many people have the mask on, but  not tightly fitted because it is a bit uncomfortable.  So yes it will stop a lot of spit, and mucous, but is not a tight air filter

On 4/12/2020 at 8:14 AM, Sundown said:

An overlooked point is that many wear masks with the valve and those models completely kill the purpose of wearing one. In fact the valve lets the virus spread outside. Nobody cares about this. 

You are correct, wearing certain types of mask is about protecting yourself from others and they only have 1 way filters, the valve lets unfiltered exhaled air out but generally points down.

It doesn't defeat the purpose of the mask though, you are very much mistaken on that. The reason these types of mask exist is to protect the wearer.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 8:19 AM, steelepulse said:

Just looking at my news feed and this was in it.  Medscape is pretty respectable.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/928375

Cotton and surgical masks were not effective at filtering SARS-CoV-2 during coughs from patients infected with the virus, according to Seongman Bae, MD, of the University of Ulsan College of Medicine in Seoul, South Korea, and associates.

Search Yt "AsianBoss"..

Korean Professor of Disease Control, Frontline of Covid and SARs? Seoul....

Scoffs at the U.S. for NOT wearing masks....Masks help.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThePearl said:

Search Yt "AsianBoss"..

Korean Professor of Disease Control, Frontline of Covid and SARs? Seoul....

Scoffs at the U.S. for NOT wearing masks....Masks help.

Is it so difficult to accept that expert opinions vary?

Common sense would suggest that a mask provides an additional barrier to the virus. Of course the mask available to most of us likely only provides limited protection, but it is all we have got.

Wanna see a proper mask? Go to a car body repair shop and see what the paint sprayers are wearing. Yep, you too can look like Darth Vader.

Man In Protective Costume Suit, Gas Protect Medical Spray Paint ...

40 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Common sense would suggest that a mask provides an additional barrier to the virus. Of course the mask available to most of us likely only provides limited protection, but it is all we have got.

Wanna see a proper mask? Go to a car body repair shop and see what the paint sprayers are wearing. Yep, you too can look like Darth Vader.

Man In Protective Costume Suit, Gas Protect Medical Spray Paint ...

Anything is better than nothing ( bare face)  For those that say they can't find any stop being  lazy. I am in BKK now but have seen regular surgical/N95  and home made masks being sold at 7-11 counters, Tesco Lotus, Big C, Pharmacies and some vendors outside malls/supermarkets.   Below are some  masks sold at Tesco Lotus today and wrap around clear or tinted glasses to protect your eyes.

93665931_220897282467770_4392928834232516608_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2020 at 12:50 AM, sucit said:

They should just ticket the no mask people, and yes, dual pricing on the tickets, that will make the farangs even more afraid of getting the ticket.

I'm now seeing farang mask wearing at just about 100%. It's the Thais that are now more likely to be seen without, though the numbers not wearing them is very low.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, madmitch said:

I'm now seeing farang mask wearing at just about 100%. It's the Thais that are now more likely to be seen without, though the numbers not wearing them is very low.

I exercise at a big Dam in Chalong. Social distancing is non exsistant with well over 50% not wearing a mask, many many people there in the evening.