Face mask

Badrabbit

For anybody who is really sincere about not being able to find a mask,  there are plenty here: https://shopee.co.th/search?keyword=mask  

You can top up Airpay app (at 7 Eleven) or via bank transfer https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.beeasy.airpay&hl=en   https://apps.apple.com/th/app/airpay-th/id908669202?l=th

You may need your Thai wife/ gf's ID to use Airpay but you can also pay by Thai bank on Shopee.  I bought masks on there

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

my condolences. ????

Why? As of a few minutes ago, America had 50 times more coronavirus cases than Australia, and 250 times more deaths. I should be the one offering condolences.

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Why? As of a few minutes ago, America had 50 times more coronavirus cases than Australia, and 250 times more deaths. I should be the one offering condolences.

US may have more cases but definitely less banana benders.

2 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

US may have more cases but definitely less banana benders.

Banana bender is the Australian slang for a Queenslander. The relevance of your post escapes me.

• Like 1

Studies that have concluded that face masks do not work in reducing the transmission of viruses, the first one is from Bangkok, Thailand, the last one says face masks can increase the risk of infection:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4634545/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2984432/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2662657/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3291415/

https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/5/4/e006577

19 minutes ago, Logosone said:

I don't think you did. 

You did not comment on the first study. Or the second study. Which are fairly clear on the issue.

Also you should ease up on the insults.

Unless you want to face the consequences.

I had already requested clarification from you on those studies, since the first three do not support your claim.

I'm starting to think you're spreading misinformation with the intent to deceive. If you persist with this, perhaps you will also face consequences.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jacob29 said:

I had already requested clarification from you on those studies, since the first three do not support your claim.

You want to discuss those studies, sure.

The study, from France:

"Hand sanitizers, facemasks and respirators have been stockpiled during pandemic preparedness and are currently recommended in several countries. However, data on their effectiveness for limiting transmission are scarce."

We used generalized estimating equations to test the association between the intervention and the proportion of household contacts who developed an influenza-like illness during the 7 days following the inclusion. Influenza-like illness was reported in 24/148 (16.2%) of the contacts in the intervention arm and in 25/158 (15.8%) of the contacts in the control arm and the difference between arms was 0.40% (95%CI: −10% to 11%, P = 1.00). We observed a good adherence to the intervention. In various sensitivity analyses, we did not identify any trend in the results suggesting effectiveness of facemasks.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2984432/

Of course it is a shock and unpalatable for those who believe masks are useful, but this is what the studies say.

The study conducted by British and Thai doctors in Thailand:

"We report the largest study to date of the efficacy of interventions to promote hand washing and hand washing plus face mask use to reduce influenza transmission. Influenza transmission among household members of a confirmed index case was not reduced by promotion of hand washing and face mask use."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4634545/

I know, it's a shock to those who would wear masks, but that's what the study found.

Edited by Logosone

Crock of **** !

I've gone out a couple of times (grocery shopping) over the last couple of days and the VAST majority of people I saw NOT wearing masks were locals. Like 99% local. 
And in each of the stores I went into (Makro and Big C) - everyone was wearing masks. (Last week it was about 50/50 of the customers wearing masks and of those not wearing them it was about 50/50 local and foreigner.)

Had to snicker though. Saw a couple people with masks under their chins at some intersections. I had my helmet on and my mask over my mouth and nose, but as soon as they realized I was a foreigner, they pulled their masks up. Can thank that <snipped> Health Minister for that.

Watching people go by in my neighbourhood and almost exclusively, the only ones NOT wearing masks are also locals (except one old foreigner on a bicycle).

Big C had a rack of cloth masks right next to the check-outs yesterday. Not sure if every Big C has them though.

I see a lot of people are washing (or maybe just rinsing) their old masks and hanging them out to dry before reusing them. I think the idea of using one once and then tossing it is BS, unless you are in a high risk environment (i.e. mingling with a lot of people on a daily basis like shop clerks do). Or if you are a heavy smoker and hacking up wads of phlegm every 2 minutes.

Reminds me of the scam Contact Lens makers tried to pull on the public years ago. Soft Contacts used to be marketed as being good for 1 month. Then they came out with "Weekly" and even "Daily" wear contacts. Wear them for a week (or a day) and then throw them out.

Until someone actually tested them and found that the "weekly" and "daily" lenses were exactly the same as the "monthly" ones. It was just a marketing scam to get you to buy more lenses.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Pray tell, where can I go to buy some masks.  No where around my area is there any.  Pharmacies, are out, none at 7-11, stores do not have any.  I have been trying for over three weeks now, and no luck.  I think I would have better luck wrapping a pair of nickers around my face, since I can not locate any, and have been recycling and cleaning the two I have had since the end of February....

As now many shops / places demand people wear masks before entering, I reluctantly decided to buy some. The 1st pharmacy I stopped at had the carbon type masks - the pharmacist insisted the regular ones are BS and refuse to hold/sell them, especially as they are sold for the same price as the carbon masks. I bought 4 masks for 25 THB each. That was on Friday, opposite Maejo uni. 

Also saw the cloth washable ones in the market for 30 THB each and the same type in another shop for 20 THB

9 hours ago, Logosone said:

I don't think you did. 

You did not comment on the first study. Or the second study. Which are fairly clear on the issue.

Also you should ease up on the insults.

Unless you want to face the consequences.

If there are consequences for calling you out as a troll, bring them on.

As for why some countries are not wearing masks (as much as some other countries are) - keep in mind that the World Health Organization (WHO) determined early on that they weren't needed.

The same WHO that told the world that "travel bans" weren't helpful in containing the spread !!! Seriously ! At the end of January the WHO was criticizing countries that had started banning flights from China ! They claimed that limiting travel could hinder the effort to control the spread of the disease !! And that was back when the only flights being cancelled were ones to/from China !

Keep in mind that there seems to be a lot of talk about the undue influence that China has over the WHO. That talk was highlighted recently when a senior member of the WHO, during a telephone interview with a reporter, pretended to not hear questions about Taiwan and when pressed, apparently hung up on the reporter rather than answer the question. (That was part of a BBC article about Taiwan and the WHO.)

This is the same China that has been trying to spread the rumour, through their state run media outlets, that the virus was actually developed by the US Army who then smuggled it into China and released it.

Also keep in mind that last summer (July 2019), the RCMP in Canada were investigating at least one Chinese scientist (and her students) that were working at a Level 4 Bio Research lab in Canada (the same lab in fact that made the Ebola vaccine that stopped the last major Ebola outbreak a few years ago). The news article at the time said the investigation was over "policy" breaches. Leaves one to think that maybe there was more to it than that but they didn't want to create a panic.

That same scientist reportedly made numerous trips to China and was reportedly also working at China's new Level 4 lab - located in Wuhan ! The SAME place where this outbreak started. That was months before the first reported cases of the Corona virus (as it was originally called).

I'm sure it is just a coincidence of course.

I have my doubts though. Especially when one considers that the original story was this started from a "fresh animal" market, but within 2 weeks had mutated into a virus capable of human to human transmission ??? 
That would be the equivalent of the Wright Brothers making the first powered flight in history - and then landing a space rocket on the moon the next day !

Considering the number of people who came down with the virus in such a short time period, it would have taken thousands of animals at that market to all be infected, just to account for the number of cases that suddenly started cropping up.
And for it to mutate in that short of time period ? 

But a virus, manufactured in a lab and then accidentally released into the public (perhaps through some kind of "policy breach") would be able to infect a lot of people in a short period of time and wouldn't have to mutate in order to be passed from human to human.

Remember that it appears that people who don't show any symptoms at all can be infected and spreading the disease unknowingly. All it would take would be for one or two scientists (or one or two of their students) to become accidentally infected and then go shopping at that market. Or go home, infect other family members who then go to the market. One infected person could infect dozens of others within minutes, especially in a crowded area like an open air market.

A far more likely scenario than thousands of people all suddenly getting the same virus at the same time from eating the same bats (or whichever animal they know think it may have been as there have been suggestions it could be pangolins as well). Take into consideration that the animal(s) being blamed would have been killed, cleaned and then cooked, the chances of so many people contracting anything from them would be greatly reduced.

(The "infected animal" story sounded hokey to me from the beginning but then I am pretty skeptical at the best of times. Even the Chinese themselves are not promoting that idea anymore and have opted for the "blame the USA" approach instead !) 

• Like 2

Just for comparison. I am just back from being out and about in Brisbane.

Only one doctor in multi-doctor clinic wearing mask and none of the nurses or receptionists. Only one of about a dozen people in waiting room was masked. Chairs well spaced out though.

Guy at door asking questions and doing temps was masked and gloved.

Into large supermarket after GP visit and only noticed one person wearing mask.

16 hours ago, Joinaman said:

what about gloves, not all virus is spread by air , its also a contact virus, Yes/No ?

Shopping in Foodland yesterday, staff was wearing super dirty gloves when taking my credit card and packing my bag. Not sure if this was thei initial idea of that.

14 hours ago, Kinnock said:

From the website: "CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies)"

So, I still don't see the point wearing one when walking alone on the street or driving my car on my own. Yes, I will put it on once I come close to other folks.

Edited by Mak25
  • Like 1

Yes just Farang not wearing masks is it ?

Open your eyes there’s plenty of maskless Thais too.

There is no concrete evidence that masks work (unless they are fitted correctly) which from my observation 95% are not.

I am wearing mine on the very rare occasion we venture out for supplies and sticking to the government information because as a guest of this country it is the respectful thing to do.

Where I live the stores are out of masks so not as many people wearing masks anymore at all yesterday. I’m not and about half the people on the street are not wearing masks either. You’ll see if you occasionally go out for groceries as we do at least twice a week. 

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Indeed... Consider it Schrodinger's Virus.

Unless we get tested we cannot know if we have the virus or not. 

We have to act as if we do have the virus so we don’t spread it to others. 

We also have to act as if we’ve never had the virus because if we didn’t, we are not immune. 

Therefore, we both have the virus and have not had the virus as the same time - Schrodinger's Virus.... Wear the Mask !!!

Ha, great. So the 'virus wave' collapses when you have the test.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Mak25 said:

Shopping in Foodland yesterday, staff was wearing super dirty gloves when taking my credit card and packing my bag. Not sure if this was thei initial idea of that.

From the website: "CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies)"

So, I still don't see the point wearing one when walking alone on the street or driving my car on my own. Yes, I will put it on once I come close to other folks.

It's intended to protect them, not you. Just sanitise what they have touched when you get home.

I agree wearing a mask in a car with the windows up and the aircon on is crazy. I would put on a mask when stopped at a checkpoint before I wound a window down or got out of the car.

• Like 2