Face mask

Badrabbit

46 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

But a virus, manufactured in a lab and then accidentally released into the public (perhaps through some kind of "policy breach") would be able to infect a lot of people in a short period of time and wouldn't have to mutate in order to be passed from human to human.

But experts agree that this virus wasn't manufactured in a lab. You may present your scientific evidence to the contrary, however. Otherwise, stop spreading that debunked conspiracy theory.

The conspiracy theories about the origins of the coronavirus, debunked

There’s a rumor the coronavirus started in a Chinese lab. And a scientific consensus it didn’t.

--https://www.vox.com/2020/3/4/21156607/how-did-the-coronavirus-get-started-china-wuhan-lab

and

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-not-human-made-in-lab.html

Accidentally released, possibly.

Why would you wear a mask in your own car? I always put mine on when I go food shopping, 7/11 or so. But not when driving, riding or working out alone outdoors. 

A big problem is the availability of masks. The ones that actually work for the user (N95 etc.) are nowhere available in Thailand. 

• Like 2

Just now, SS1 said:

Why would you wear a mask in your own car? I always put mine on when I go food shopping, 7/11 or so. But not when driving, riding or working out alone outdoors. 

A big problem is the availability of masks. The ones that actually work for the user (N95 etc.) are nowhere available in Thailand. 

a WhatIf..

- once you are back in your comfort zone of own car...

you pick your nose, with a finger that has just been used in the shopping... opened and closed doors; and has sincwed touched your steering wheel also used by the other hand

28 minutes ago, BigStar said:

But experts agree that this virus wasn't manufactured in a lab. You may present your scientific evidence to the contrary, however. Otherwise, stop spreading that debunked conspiracy theory.

The conspiracy theories about the origins of the coronavirus, debunked

There’s a rumor the coronavirus started in a Chinese lab. And a scientific consensus it didn’t.

--https://www.vox.com/2020/3/4/21156607/how-did-the-coronavirus-get-started-china-wuhan-lab

and

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-not-human-made-in-lab.html

Accidentally released, possibly.

It's true that the virus was not made.

However, the new story is that the virus was sampled from animals, analysed in the Wuhan virus research facility and then may have escaped. I very much doubt this was the case, but it can not be discounted:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8188557/Did-coronavirus-leak-research-lab-Wuhan-Startling-theory-no-longer-discounted.html

Edited by Logosone

Thailand_ryan - Lazada sell them and deliver. Just go online and order. Can either pay online or C.O.D. They also sell hand sanitizer and surgical gloves. Also basic food etc. All can be ordered and delivered so no need to go out.

Edited by generealty
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Logosone said:

However, the new story is that the virus was sampled from animals, analysed in the Wuhan virus research facility and then may have escaped. 

Read a story today about tigers now testing positive for this virus. Not just a human misery any more.

19 hours ago, Agusts said:

I couldn't believe the West resisted advising the mask, the only reasonable excuse given was that they may not be enough for everyone and for medics etc.

Asians are far better on this due to previous pandemics here.

If you have no symptoms and can carry and transfer the virus to others, then must use the mask, that logic means everyone should wear it...!

Also if anything masks stop people touching their nose and mouth, that alone justifies it....

The best of course are the ones fit well and you can wash after every use.

I think the Wests Scientific evidence outweighs the knee jerk reactions of a bunch of Thai Numpties including one Multi Billionaire Health Minister trying to hand out masks,and berating Farangs.

2 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Crock of **** !

I've gone out a couple of times (grocery shopping) over the last couple of days and the VAST majority of people I saw NOT wearing masks were locals. Like 99% local. 
And in each of the stores I went into (Makro and Big C) - everyone was wearing masks. (Last week it was about 50/50 of the customers wearing masks and of those not wearing them it was about 50/50 local and foreigner.)

Had to snicker though. Saw a couple people with masks under their chins at some intersections. I had my helmet on and my mask over my mouth and nose, but as soon as they realized I was a foreigner, they pulled their masks up. Can thank that <snipped> Health Minister for that.

Watching people go by in my neighbourhood and almost exclusively, the only ones NOT wearing masks are also locals (except one old foreigner on a bicycle).

Big C had a rack of cloth masks right next to the check-outs yesterday. Not sure if every Big C has them though.

I see a lot of people are washing (or maybe just rinsing) their old masks and hanging them out to dry before reusing them. I think the idea of using one once and then tossing it is BS, unless you are in a high risk environment (i.e. mingling with a lot of people on a daily basis like shop clerks do). Or if you are a heavy smoker and hacking up wads of phlegm every 2 minutes.

Reminds me of the scam Contact Lens makers tried to pull on the public years ago. Soft Contacts used to be marketed as being good for 1 month. Then they came out with "Weekly" and even "Daily" wear contacts. Wear them for a week (or a day) and then throw them out.

Until someone actually tested them and found that the "weekly" and "daily" lenses were exactly the same as the "monthly" ones. It was just a marketing scam to get you to buy more lenses.

Yep, and somehow some people don’t see these things because they will just accuse the opposition of not taking it seriously. That’s exactly what’s going on now. 

Edited by Allset

20 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

I have purchased 100 of these 3ply surgical masks.

But will only put them on in situations that are a little more crowded

than usual.

And the additional, but very important, reason to wear a mask in Chiang Mai is the dangerously high level of air pollution - CM - worlds most polluted city for last three days!

• Like 1

You certainly don't need to wear a mask while driving, either alone or with people you already live with....to me that's nonsense.

I only wear a mask when shopping. I would wear a mask in a taxi if I were ever in one, or if I were going to hospital.....walking around an uncrowded place keeping a 2 metre distance from other people a mask is unnecessary. In my town there are lots of Thais who don't wear masks....it is not a faring thing.

Interestingly I was at the vets' yesterday (wearing a mask) and saw another customer with a sick dog and a small child. They took their masks off when they came into the vets' surgery, and I noticed when she left she was very careful putting the child's mask on before putting him on her motorcycle....but she neglected any form of helmet for herself or the child. A sense of distorted priorities I guess.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, J Town said:

Read a story today about tigers now testing positive for this virus. Not just a human misery any more.

Yes, that was always on the cards. There's been a human to cat transmission that was documented.

Imagine, everyone is focusing on masks, and it turns out cats transmit the virus to us.

Just like with the black plague everyone thought of all kinds of reasons, then it turned out it was rats.

47 minutes ago, tifino said:

a WhatIf..

- once you are back in your comfort zone of own car...

you pick your nose, with a finger that has just been used in the shopping... opened and closed doors; and has sincwed touched your steering wheel also used by the other hand

That's why I sanitise my hands as I leave the shop. As well as a good hand wash when I get home.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Yes, that was always on the cards. There's been a human to cat transmission that was documented.

Imagine, everyone is focusing on masks, and it turns out cats transmit the virus to us.

Just like with the black plague everyone thought of all kinds of reasons, then it turned out it was rats.

there has been no pet to human transmission, the tiger was infected by it's handler

12 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Wasn't it actually the fleas infesting the rats that passed the disease?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MikeN said:

there has been no pet to human transmission, the tiger was infected by it's handler

How do you know there's no pet to human transmission?

Obviously it passes from human to cats. It can therefore pass from cats to humans. Obviously such cases would not be identified because you'd first have to have tested the cat and know it was positive, how else would you know a person was infected by cats? And last I checked tests for cats were pretty, pretty, prettteeee rare.

Just to be clear I'm just playing a hypothetical, not saying this actually is what happens.

But you can not deny the evidence from Germany is perplexing,  40 researchers are analysing the German Wuhan, Heinsberg, and found no trace of the virus on surfaces in houses from patients that were infected. It's a bit odd.

Edited by Logosone

18 minutes ago, J Town said:

Wasn't it actually the fleas infesting the rats that passed the disease?

No. The fleas caused the disease, but the rats acted as hosts and passed the disease on.

Coincidentally that pathogen also originated in China, and through India arrived in Europe.

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats you... but remember, half of everyone you see around you is of half the intelligence (of everyone around you).... Do you really trust everyone around you to go about their lives with the same level of discretion?

You are just another worrier. Can you sleep at night?