Face mask

Badrabbit

2 minutes ago, Badrabbit said:

Great to hear that all the selfish people that do not wear masks will be fined up to 20,000bht if caught, should be double that, wonder how those selfish people feel about being forced to wear something they consider a waste of time???

And ferchrissake, how much of a bother is it?

• Like 2

I'm not qualified to evaluate whether mask wearing by the general public is beneficial or not, so I just follow the recommendations given by WHO, or, if stricter, the directives issued by the local authorities.

7 minutes ago, nrasmussen said:

I'm not qualified to evaluate whether mask wearing by the general public is beneficial or not, so I just follow the recommendations given by WHO, or, if stricter, the directives issued by the local authorities.

Governor of Phuket just ordered "wear masks when outside or face heavy fines." No longer a decision.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, J Town said:

Governor of Phuket just ordered "wear masks when outside or face heavy fines." No longer a decision.

My point exactly. The discussion about whether it's beneficial or not to wear a mask is moot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The selfish posters have gone quiet, now the Government should apply the same hefty fines to non crash helmet wearers, red light jumpers and wrong way driving oh and throw in for good measure no top wearers(anywhere other than the beach or swimming pool) that will save many deaths!

Edited by Badrabbit
  • Like 2

Unfortunately there are idiots everywhere. People kept hanging out at the beach and some were playing volleyball etc at the beach here in California. Because of those idiots they have closed the beach to everyone. I would just go to the water and meditate or just let my mind wander. Mai dai.

So they do what they want and then spread the virus.

The people who don't want their precious freedoms curtailed end up curtailing the freedoms of others. Bah!! Just self-centered idiots.

• Like 2

On 4/5/2020 at 5:30 PM, Agusts said:

I couldn't believe the West resisted advising the mask, the only reasonable excuse given was that they may not be enough for everyone and for medics etc.

Asians are far better on this due to previous pandemics here.

If you have no symptoms and can carry and transfer the virus to others, then must use the mask, that logic means everyone should wear it...!

Also if anything masks stop people touching their nose and mouth, that alone justifies it....

The best of course are the ones fit well and you can wash after every use.

So should we ignore the advice on websites like the World Health Organisation and most others I've read that don't recommend specifically wearing masks for everyone? They do if you are coughing and sneezing or caring for the sick. 

I've also read that without strict and correct use, including resisting touching the mask repeatedly for repositioning it, itchiness etc that they can be worse due to the fact that if you are infected, your mask is a big moist virus sponge and you're touching it and effectively smearing every surface with the virus. 

If you don't have a mask on you're less likely to be touching your face. They do explicitly say to wear one if you are coughing and sneezing. One can only assume that you need to be ejecting moisture particles violently in this way to be spreading the virus. 

Edited by FreemanBlu
  • Like 1

Mask used in cars are idiotic and should not be used unless its public crowded public transport.

The only reason to use mask walking, motobiking or open car is if you dont want polution to get to you.

Thais just needs to learn to wash their hands after toilet visits.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, nrasmussen said:

From the reaearch I've read, the homemade mask is better than nothing, but has lower filtration than surgical masks. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24229526

1 hour ago, Kongshoej said:

Mask used in cars are idiotic and should not be used unless its public crowded public transport.

The only reason to use mask walking, motobiking or open car is if you dont want polution to get to you.

Thais just needs to learn to wash their hands after toilet visits.

They seem to wash their a55. Strange they don't wash their hands after toilet visits. Have you done a lot of research on this matter?

On 4/6/2020 at 11:49 AM, JHolmesJr said:

I would.....if I was crazy/unfortunate enough to be stuck in Thailand right 

These forums are full of experts, it's simple. do as you are told or face a big fine!! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FreemanBlu said:

So should we ignore the advice on websites like the World Health Organisation and most others I've read that don't recommend specifically wearing masks for everyone? They do if you are coughing and sneezing or caring for the sick. 

I've also read that without strict and correct use, including resisting touching the mask repeatedly for repositioning it, itchiness etc that they can be worse due to the fact that if you are infected, your mask is a big moist virus sponge and you're touching it and effectively smearing every surface with the virus. 

If you don't have a mask on you're less likely to be touching your face. They do explicitly say to wear one if you are coughing and sneezing. One can only assume that you need to be ejecting moisture particles violently in this way to be spreading the virus. 

Here are reasons to wear: 

1.  If in Phuket  the Gov has declared everyone wear a mask in public or face up to 20,000 baht fine.

2. Thai FB posters are telling Thai to attack foreigners who don'twear a mask.

3. You don't have to be coughing , sneezing or showing symptoms to spread the virous. Just talking can spread it.

4. The CDC recomends face coverings

https://www.vox.com/2020/4/3/21202792/coronavirus-masks-n95-trump-white-house-cdc-ppe-shortage

The WHO reviewed its position on masks in light of data from Hong Kong indicating that their widespread use in the community may have reduced the spread of coronavirus in some regions.

The WHO guidance on healthy people wearing masks in public appears to conflict with recent advice from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which urged the US public to wear cloth face coverings in pharmacies, groceries and other public places where physical distancing can be hard to maintain.

Amazing how the possibility of a large fine can make people do what they are told, 100% mask wearing this morning on my trip out to 7/11, now apply the large fine to traffic laws and reduce death on the roads!

• Like 1

Just looking at my news feed and this was in it.  Medscape is pretty respectable.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/928375

Cotton and surgical masks were not effective at filtering SARS-CoV-2 during coughs from patients infected with the virus, according to Seongman Bae, MD, of the University of Ulsan College of Medicine in Seoul, South Korea, and associates.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, stevenl said:

I am with you, and also think it gives a false sense of security. Social distancing is much more important.

But we have to wear one here so I wear one.

CDC says children should wear face coverings. Here's how to get them to do it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/newsfeature/cdc-says-children-should-wear-face-coverings-heres-how-to-get-them-to-do-it/ar-BB12lvuF?li=BBnb7Kz

3 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

And many others disagree with that. See e g. the post above yours.

16 minutes ago, stevenl said:

And many others disagree with that. See e g. the post above yours.

And if you read the CDC report they mention " children don't need to wear surgical or N95  masks as we need them for health care workers and first resonders"  They have never actually stated the N95/surgical won't lessen the chance for infection just that general public are too stupid to know how to wear them as if it takes years of training at a medical school to learn how to wear the masks. Dr's /nurses  and EMT's will not treat Covid 19 paitiens without a mask on. If ithe masks didn't offer them some protection they would not wear them.  As long as millions of more masks are being made I will wear either the surgical or N95 ones for maximum protection.

3 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Not sure how accurate that map is. I came in on Sukhumvit from Na Jomtien 9 April noon, no checkpoints, no official looking people, and STILL folks NOT WEARING MASKS.

1 minute ago, J Town said:

Not sure how accurate that map is. I came in on Sukhumvit from Na Jomtien 9 April noon, no checkpoints, no official looking people, and STILL folks NOT WEARING MASKS.

If you don't want to read the articles  to get info don't comment on what you didn' see then.  It goes into affect after 2 PM today. How soon after remains to be seen. Doesn't take long to put police in an area , set up cones and barricades.  There are check points in different areas in Bangkok due to the curfew. Cars were being stoped last night , asked were you go ? I said home from shopping showed the supplies from Tesco Lotus in back seat. Cars from other Provinces were being turned away. From earlier article on TV over a 1,000 were arested , over 100 warned the others had reson to be out. ( shift workers, Dr's Nurses cleaning/sanitizing crews) Don't want to wear a mask ? Don't be upset when your fined or arrested or cannot enter stores. 

8 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

If you don't want to read the articles  to get info don't comment on what you didn' see then.  It goes into affect after 2 PM today. How soon after remains to be seen. Doesn't take long to put police in an area , set up cones and barricades.  There are check points in different areas in Bangkok due to the curfew. Cars were being stoped last night , asked were you go ? I said home from shopping showed the supplies from Tesco Lotus in back seat. Cars from other Provinces were being turned away. From earlier article on TV over a 1,000 were arested , over 100 warned the others had reson to be out. ( shift workers, Dr's Nurses cleaning/sanitizing crews) Don't want to wear a mask ? Don't be upset when your fined or arrested or cannot enter stores. 

If people still refuse to wear a mask what does that say about the sort of person they are, just wear a mask it wont spoil your good looks or attract funny looks or comments.

11 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Whatcha gonna do - ground me?