Wanting to go cashless

Can anyone advise how to go cashless without being charged using my SCB debit card (own money).

With the Covid-19 and handling money is becoming a pain on top of touching everything else.

Back in the old country I could use my debit card to tap off up to $100 or put in my pin number for over $100, but as Thailand is a developing country, that isn't possible here yet, that said, I shop at Tesco/Lotus, Big C and Makro and have asked if there is a charge if I use my SCB debit card to pay, and the answer is always yes, 5%, so what's the point, I mean if I spend 4,000 baht on average, I have to add 200 baht or $10 for the convenience, which is obscured.

Anyone know of a way around this, albeit I was told if I downloaded an app (wallet) and transfer the funds into it, I am then given a QR code and then tap on it and am good to go, again, again, defeats the purpose, as I already have a card and I don't know if the app (wallet) charges to use the service, assuming they do, still not interested if they don't charge, just want to pay with my debit card without being charged.

Is it possible ?

Edited by 4MyEgo

Don't know, I always pay cash here, and wash my hands afterwards.

Thai banking is far better at extracting fees than any Australian bank ever was. I may be wrong, perhaps it's the stores that are whacking on the charge, because i can shop online with no fees.

• Like 1

No option to get a Visa wave card? There's no commission on it and you just get a bill once a month which you can settle from internet banking. That's a credit card, not debit card. If you're retired, maybe wife or kids could get you a supplementary one. Bangkok Bank also offers it but only gives as much credit as you leave in the account so it's basically the same thing but it's credit, not debit.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, CharlieK said:

I use my SCB debit card in Tesco Lotus and Big C never been charged 5% for doing so. 

Next time I shop at either I will try my SCB debit card and see if anything comes on my bank statement. Thx

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

I though TrueMoney maybe your answer but the wife tells me it's no good at Makro......yet CP own both!  

My wife said when we were at Makro last week she asked the guy at the check out before paying cash and he said True Money is accepted there.

I don't like the fact that I would have to use an app to get a QR code after loading my money from SCB to an app (True Money), like I said it defeats the purpose.

I know Robinson accepts my SCB debit card and international debit card and never charges me, so I find it totally out of whack that Makro can't accept a debit card without charging, maybe it's time to write them a little letter, but I have more important things to do then lead the blind.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

Can't go totally cashless in Thailand unless you only want to shop in places that accept debit/credit cards.  Thailand is a long, long away from being able to go totally cashless as many places deal in cash only.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Pib said:

Can't go totally cashless in Thailand unless you only want to shop in places that accept debit/credit cards.  Thailand is a long, long away from being able to go totally cashless as many places deal in cash only.

Understand, but was mainly referring to Tesco/Lotus, Big C and Makro, one or two posters mentioned they haven't been charged at Tesco/lotus and Big C, but Makro is cash or an app with True Money, so will try my card at Tesco/Lotus and Big C next time I am there and see if I get any charges on my statement.

1 minute ago, Pib said:

was helping friend find a medium priced hotel that accepted bank cards, easy you'd think... no way, they pretty much all wanted cash, most restaurants only take cash too.

street vendors; cash

small shops; cash

some thais i know say there is too much tax dodging going on for a cashless society to take off, i couldn't possibly comment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

My wife said when we were at Makro last week she asked the guy at the check out before paying cash and he said True Money is accepted there.

I don't like the fact that I would have to use an app to get a QR code after loading my money from SCB to an app (True Money), like I said it defeats the purpose.

You don't need to load money into True money app. True money wallet allow directly charging your credit/debit card for the purchases that you made.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

Many vendors accepting Promptpay or other QR code methods, they have a QR code on display and just point your phone at it and its debited form your bank acc?

Most delivery guys will even accept you to pay via prompt pay with a cash on delivery order. Bar girls even do so hehe.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Understand, but was mainly referring to Tesco/Lotus, Big C and Makro, one or two posters mentioned they haven't been charged at Tesco/lotus and Big C, but Makro is cash or an app with True Money, so will try my card at Tesco/Lotus and Big C next time I am there and see if I get any charges on my statement.

I use US debit/credit cards to the max at places such as Lotus and Big C.....been doing it for over a decade.  Helps tremendously to reduce the amount of money I need to transfer to/keep in Thailand. Those stores do not charge extra for using a Thai or foreign card....and the US cards I use in Thailand do not carry a foreign transaction fee....so, end result zero fees.

However, your "card-issuing" foreign bank may apply a foreign transaction fee of 1 to 3% which is common....but many cards also do not charge such a fee like most of US debit/credit cards that I use in Thailand.   But my remaining US debit/credit cards that do charge such a fee live in the darkest of my safe when outside Thailand due to the foreign transaction fee they apply....they only get use for US transactions.   

You need to know if your card has such a foreign fee....once again, that is a fee charged by your "card-issuing bank;" not the merchant.  So, review the fee schedule for your card.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, sanmyintmaung said:

You don't need to load money into True money app. True money wallet allow directly charging your credit/debit card for the purchases that you made.

Do you know that the charges are, if any, assuming there are charges, e.g. nothings for free

3 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

may i ask which banks?

Cap1, PenFed, St Dept Fed CU credit cards and several debit cards at my US banks.  I use credit cards because they also pay 1.5 to 2% cash back.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Pib said:

You need to know if your card has such a foreign fee....once again, that is a fee charged by your "card-issuing bank;" not the merchant.  So, review the fee schedule for your card.

I have 2 foreign debit cards, they charge 2.5% and 3%, the earlier one charges you 0% in the forward money if you make so many transactions, e.g. If I was in my home country for example and made zxy transactions on the card and those transactions were settled in that month, no charges would be applied for overseas transactions in the next month, so both of those cards are useless for using here IMO. 

8 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I almost always use my bank debit cards SCB, K bank and Bangkok bank. I have never been charged extra in Tesco or BigC. For some products Global House, DoHome, Thai Watsadu and ToolPro do charge extra but they will always tell you so you can switch to cash.

You do not need to wait for your statment, just ask or look at your receipt.

Yes I knew all the hardwares charge 5%, but just yesterday we asked the girl at the check out of our local Tesco/Lotus if I would be charged if I used my SCB debit card and her reply was YES, so it appears that they have no idea at our local Tesco/lotus, so now I will give them a whirl and check the receipt and the statement online just to make sure at months end.

????

• Sad 1