Wanting to go cashless

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Next time I shop at either I will try my SCB debit card and see if anything comes on my bank statement. Thx

It would show in your shopping receipts if you had been charged for using the card.

Edited by CharlieK
  • Thanks 1

Just now, sometimewoodworker said:

Did you not read what I wrote?!!

The hardware shops DO NOT USUALLY charge extra and will tell you if they are going to

Misread that, I know HomePro don't, but DoHome do, as for the others haven't tried them as I don't usually shop there.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

Misread that, I know HomePro don't, but DoHome do, as for the others haven't tried them as I don't usually shop there.

None of the hardware shops usually charge for debt card payment.

not Global House, not DoHome, not Thai Watsadu, not Home pro, not ToolPro, not HardwareHouse not HomeHub. All of them have some items where they do charge. Tesco, Tops and BigC do not charge for debt card use for almost all items.

How hard is it to look at the receipt and see if there is a 5% number at the bottom (HINT IT IS NOT THERE) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

not Global House, not DoHome, not Thai Watsadu, not Home pro, not ToolPro, not HardwareHouse not HomeHub. All of them have some items where they do charge. Tesco, Tops and BigC do not charge for debt card use for almost all items.

How hard is it to look at the receipt and see if there is a 5% number at the bottom (HINT IT IS NOT THERE) 

I suppose one should ask staff because it appears that they have no idea.

DoHome did tell us that they charge, interesting, as I only use the card to withdraw cash, so in future will use card and look at receipt, as for staff, they can continue smiling, you know that look, that says I have no idea, apart from Makro staff who appear to have got it right, e.g. charge for debit card. Thx

at this point in time, the last thing you want is to go cashless.

if the electric power will cut, or your bank will lose network,

you will not find yourself so smart

and "developed" and even if you will slide your card

between your cheeks , no one will sell you food or water

and you will starve to death, simply like that.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:
8 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I suppose one should ask staff because it appears that they have no idea.

DoHome did tell us that they charge, interesting, as I only use the card to withdraw cash, so in future will use card and look at receipt, as for staff, they can continue smiling, you know that look, that says I have no idea, apart from Makro staff who appear to have got it right, e.g. charge for debit card. Thx

As I said there are some items that do have a charge in all the shops, and often a minimum (small amount) where you will be charged or they refuse a card. I have used my debit cards in all the shops mentioned without paying extra. If there would be a charge they have always told me before taking my card. I would then pay cash. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

bangkok bank gives to to retirement visa ?

is it a card with the 2d digits (numbers popped out)?

I am not sure if they give to retirees, but it is a proper credit card. In a "normal bank" you don't have to put security deposit, you just get evaluated for your ability to pay back and then given a card with set limit. But at BKK Bank, you need to actually make a deposit of as much as your credit limit would be, so although it's a proper Visa/Master/Amex credit card, actually it is "borrowing" against your own money in the bank. I don't know if that's only for foreigners or Thais also need to do the same - in which case I could not see many Thais wanting one. Anyway - it's worth to ask as it's lower risk for them, so it could be that they are more flexible on conditions.

Actually checked - doesn't seem possible for retirees as they ask for work permit. However supplementary card should still be possible.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Cards/Credit-Cards

11 hours ago, Digitalbanana said:

Many vendors accepting Promptpay or other QR code methods, they have a QR code on display and just point your phone at it and its debited form your bank acc?

Can foreigners register for PromptPay? Is it safe?

Edited by phetphet

26 minutes ago, phetphet said:

They can, or at least when I registered they could. However SCB told me that from the beginning of this year a Thai ID card number is required to register with them, as I’m already registered (with a different bank) I don’t know if the pink card will work.

I see nor reason why it would be less safe than other methods.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:
12 hours ago, sanmyintmaung said:

You don't need to load money into True money app. True money wallet allow directly charging your credit/debit card for the purchases that you made.

Do you know that the charges are, if any, assuming there are charges, e.g. nothings for free

No additional charges for paying with True Money wallet linked to Thai bank issued credit/debit card.

Edited by sanmyintmaung
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

Yes, but for foreigners it will be registered to their phone number vs passport number since passports get renewed/number change 

For Thais they can register to their Thai ID card or phone number.  A Thai ID card number will stay the same for life.

It's safe because all you are really doing is providing an easy way for others to "send", repeat, send money to you.

• Like 1

My experience with Thai major hardware stores charging extra "if using a foreign card," or more precisely accomplishing a Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) transaction which adds approx a 3% merchant fee follows.  And this extra fee is not to be confused with any foreign transaction fee your foreign card-issuing bank may apply for a foreign transaction.   

A DCC transaction will reflect on your receipt of signature "both" Thai baht and your card's currency (i.e, USD, GBP, EUR, etc).  DO NOT sign that receipt for signature as it a DCC transaction; tell the cashier to cancel the transaction and reaccomplish in Thai baht.  It only takes them a minute or two to accomplish such....happens to me around once a year although I told cashier before doing the transaction to charge in Thai baht.  That cancelled transaction will probably still appear on your card's acct as a "Pending" transaction for several business days and then fall-off/disappear as the merchant did not finalize that transaction.  But the other transaction done in Thai baht will also appear as Pending and then move to Posted/Settled after a few business days.  Summary: you sell both transaction hit your acct but only one will post/settle.

- HomePro defaults  (or the four stores I use here in Bangkok) to this DCC method but will gladly accomplish the transaction in Thai baht preventing the DCC charge.  Just be sure to tell the cashier "Charge in Thai baht, not US dollars (or whatever home country currency card you have).

- Global House defaults to this DCC method and will only do a DCC transaction for a foreign card at the two stores I now only occasionally use "if I have to for small purchases."  I avoid during business with them because of their DCC policy.  Around 5 years ago the Nakhorn Pathom Global store simply would would not make the charge in Thai baht....talked to their supervisor....the supervisor supposedly called HQ Global in Bangkok and HQ said charge must done via DCC.  I paid in cash.  Came home....submitted an online complaint to HQ Global House in Bangkok....got a call next day apologizing...HQ said the Nakhon Pathom store made a mistake....they should have allowed the charge in baht...they have now been notified of their mistake and receiving training.   About two months later I tried again at the same story....once again, would not accomplish the charge in baht....DCC required.  Thai wife was with me...Thai wife told them what HQ had said....once again, supervisor went to call HQ Global but said no one answered supposedly.  End result I just don't shop at Global House unless I have to since I consider such stores that only accomplish DCC transactions on foreign cards as anti-farang, greedy businesses.    And approx two months ago I tried the new Global House in Salaya just outside western Bankgok.....once again would only do a DCC transaction if using a foreign card.

- Thai Wasadu defaults to transaction in baht....does not default to DCC....does not play the DCC ripoff game.

So, Thai Wasadu and HomePro get my business regularly; Global House does not.

• Like 1

Home Pro near me, Ban Amphur / Ban Sarey,pulled an interesting one on me the other day.  Like PiB says I always tell them, with a smile, Thai Baht please and they have always complied, this time though the cashier pointed to a sign with many credit and bank cards on it and pointed to the Bangkok Bank card.  I shook my head and gave her my US based Credit card.  The transaction was rung up in Baht but I received a strange receipt with the Dynamic Conversion that PiB mentions, on the top of the normal receipt, yet when processed by my US bank received a better/different exchange rate.  See for yourself:

HPro.png.b212f85c6d4b541f889d455547356b18.png

2 hours ago, Pib said:

Yes, but for foreigners it will be registered to their phone number vs passport number since passports get renewed/number change 

For Thais they can register to their Thai ID card or phone number.  A Thai ID card number will stay the same for life.

It's safe because all you are really doing is providing an easy way for others to "send", repeat, send money to you.

i tried to register via 2 of my banks and it wasn't possible, Thai only

16 hours ago, Jimmy Pop said:

I don't know if you can access these cards,I have both,Revolut and Monzo zero overseas charges and great exchange rates.

Not contactless so defeats the object. Also the Revolut rates especially at the weekend are not as good as you think, certainly not as good as Halifax Clarity card or Starling Bank

16 hours ago, Pib said:

Can't go totally cashless in Thailand unless you only want to shop in places that accept debit/credit cards.  Thailand is a long, long away from being able to go totally cashless as many places deal in cash only.

It may be easier in the big cities, but just try to go to rural Thailand into the villages and local markets. 7/11 is the only place I can think of that accepts credit/debit cards. Perhaps gas station chains do.

I prefer the older cash way to debit/credit cards. I can see exactly how much I have to spend. I pay no charges, and what I don't have I can't over spend. I think that the big chains accept debit/credit cards, but I only use them once a month on a bulk shop day.

I remember being in a supermarket in Auckland one evening when the woman in front of me went through 7 cards to pay a $NZ 120 bill. She maxed them all out just to pay that bill. I went through and was asked if I wanted credit card bill, I apologised to her and paid in cash. So easy.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

i tried to register via 2 of my banks and it wasn't possible, Thai only

You acct must be in your name only....if you try with a joint acct you can not.

I was PromptPay registered with Bangkok Bank....unregistered just this morning in some testing.  With Bangkok Bank you can register and unregister online.  After unregistering, I went to my Krungsri Bank ibanking and registered....no problem.  I had planned to immediately unregister and switch registration back to my Bankgok Bank acct, but could not....as I read more I can unregister but must visit any Krungsri brank to do so.  I'll do that after things get back more to normal....after the coronavirus restriction tapper off.

17 hours ago, CharlieK said:

Not in any Makro I've been in. 

If you have a Thai issued Citibank credit card it can be used at every Makro I've tried (ok only 5 around BKK), at one time it was just the MasterCard Rewards card but it now seems to be all Citi (Thailand) cards.

TrueMoney application works at some locations too, but only if it's been loaded with cash and not linked to a credit card.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

Home Pro near me, Ban Amphur / Ban Sarey,pulled an interesting one on me the other day.  Like PiB says I always tell them, with a smile, Thai Baht please and they have always complied, this time though the cashier pointed to a sign with many credit and bank cards on it and pointed to the Bangkok Bank card.  I shook my head and gave her my US based Credit card.  The transaction was rung up in Baht but I received a strange receipt with the Dynamic Conversion that PiB mentions, on the top of the normal receipt, yet when processed by my US bank received a better/different exchange rate.  See for yourself:

HPro.png.b212f85c6d4b541f889d455547356b18.png

LSM, 

They got you.  I expect on the "Receipt for Signature" (the one you sign...not the ones above) both baht and dollars was listed....that is, a DCC transaction....you just didn't notice it....signed to fast.   The receipts above appear to be "transaction completed" receipts....the ones they hand you as you leave.  

The reason the final dollar amount is different is the dollar amount on the HomePro receipt was based on the card exchange rate in effect when doing the transaction, but by the time the transaction had settled/finalized/posted the rate was a little different. 

And I will add whenever I know or suspect a merchant may default to DCC when I hand my foreign card to the cashier "I make sure I have their full attention" and tell them to charge in Thai baht, not US dollars while we are both holding the card.   This helps to prevent the checkout cashier's brain from just staying on autopilot in accomplishing the transaction and forgetting to press the button on the point of service machine to charge in baht.      

Edited by Pib

12 minutes ago, phetphet said:

I just had a look on Bangkok Bank's website about PromptPay.

Has this to say:

1024495687_Screenshot2020-04-06at13_59_51.png.2690fd918f8a3858f463e0adf88264e0.png

It's easy to register or un-register with Bangkok Bank.   Just go to your ibanking....go to the PromptPay section....enter your mobile phone number you have registered with the bank....select the acct to link to (they will show/offer both your joint and single owned accts...just be sure to select a single owned acct)....a 6 digit code will be sent to your mobile number...enter than code....you are done....your are now registered.  

And un-registering is basically the same process. 

No passport entry required to register or un-register.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, billd766 said:

It may be easier in the big cities, but just try to go to rural Thailand into the villages and local markets. 7/11 is the only place I can think of that accepts credit/debit cards. Perhaps gas station chains do.

I prefer the older cash way to debit/credit cards. I can see exactly how much I have to spend. I pay no charges, and what I don't have I can't over spend. I think that the big chains accept debit/credit cards, but I only use them once a month on a bulk shop day.

I remember being in a supermarket in Auckland one evening when the woman in front of me went through 7 cards to pay a $NZ 120 bill. She maxed them all out just to pay that bill. I went through and was asked if I wanted credit card bill, I apologised to her and paid in cash. So easy.

Here in the Land of Bangkok I would estimate approx 40% of the people in front of me at a Lotus checkout use cards to pay.  At a Foodland I use I would estimate it's around 70% as this grocery store is more upscale.

I rarely, rarely run into the situation were a person's card don't work when standing behind them in a checkout lane.   I can only remember maybe two or three times over the last dozen years here in Thailand.

And one thing for sure people who pay by cards the checkout/payment process is faster.  None of this looking through the billfold/pocketbook/pockets for the right number of baht notes/coins.....then the cashier counting it a couple of times....then change being given & counted.  Just a lot slower than card use.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pib said:

It's easy to register or un-register with Bangkok Bank.   Just go to your ibanking....go to the PromptPay section....enter your mobile phone number you have registered with the bank....select the acct to link to (they will show/offer both your joint and single owned accts...just be sure to select a single owned acct)....a 6 digit code will be sent to your mobile number...enter than code....you are done....your are now registered.  

And un-registering is basically the same process. 

No passport entry required to register or un-register.

Looks like i may be registered with Kasikorn already although isn't clear on the app. What can i use Prompt Pay for?

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Looks like i may be registered with Kasikorn already although isn't clear on the app. What can i use Prompt Pay for?

It's just for someone "sending money to you easily" as all they need to know to send you money is your Thai ID number or mobile phone number depending which way a person registered.  No need to know a person's bank acct number and to go thru the little bit more complicated process of setting of an ibanking transfer link that uses the person's bank acct number, name, bank branch, etc.    The fees are also zero to very low.  And if it's a Thai govt payment, well, they really want to send via PromptPay whenever possible.  It's just an easy, fast, and cheap way to transfer money instantly. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pib said:

Here in the Land of Bangkok I would estimate approx 40% of the people in front of me at a Lotus checkout use cards to pay.  At a Foodland I use I would estimate it's around 70% as this grocery store is more upscale.

I rarely, rarely run into the situation were a person's card don't work when standing behind them in a checkout lane.   I can only remember maybe two or three times over the last dozen years here in Thailand.

And one thing for sure people who pay by cards the checkout/payment process is faster.  None of this looking through the billfold/pocketbook/pockets for the right number of baht notes/coins.....then the cashier counting it a couple of times....then change being given & counted.  Just a lot slower than card use.

The end result is the same though.

I haven't lived in BKK for nearly 16 years as we opted for a slower life up country. In the big stores in Khampaeng Phet like BigC, Makro, Robinsons, (though they cater for a different clientele) quite a few people use cards and certainly for big ticket items. It is a 65km trip each way so I only go about once a month for a bulk shop in BigC and Makro.

Robinsons is quite good and has a larger selection but at higher prices and how many beds, freezers etc do you buy a month. Tops isn't too bad but their prices for similar items are 30% or more higher though they do have a wider selection of meats and cheeses.

On 4/6/2020 at 1:35 PM, Pib said:

You acct must be in your name only....if you try with a joint acct you can not.

I was PromptPay registered with Bangkok Bank....unregistered just this morning in some testing.  With Bangkok Bank you can register and unregister online.  After unregistering, I went to my Krungsri Bank ibanking and registered....no problem.  I had planned to immediately unregister and switch registration back to my Bankgok Bank acct, but could not....as I read more I can unregister but must visit any Krungsri brank to do so.  I'll do that after things get back more to normal....after the coronavirus restriction tapper off.

Update:  I went to a local Krungsri branch this morning to de-register from PromptPay.  As mentioned above while you can register for PromptPay online with Krungsri (or at a Krungsri ATM) to de-register you must visit a Krungsri branch.  Just the way Krungsri does PromptPay registration and de-registration. 

It only took the bank rep a minute to de-register me from her keyboard and I immediately got a SMS saying such, but then to finalize the process I had to sign a Krungsri PromptPay form used to register or de-register and the rep made complies of my passport main page plus two other pages with Extension of Stay info.   

When I got back home I logged onto my Bangkok Bank ibanking and registered for PromptPay with them like I was before.  All done online in a few seconds....just like when I de-registered my Bangkok Bank PromptPay.  With Bangkok Bank PromptPay registration and de-registration can all be done online...no paperwork....and I expect you can do it at a Bangkok Bank ATM also.

While doing doing the Bangkok Bank PromptPay registration I first tried to register with a joint acct owned by the wife and me--reject....no can do...acct can not be a joint acct. I then used an acct owned by me only and completed the registration.   

Yeap, I like Bangkok Bank PromptPay registration/de-registration as I can do it all online (or ATM) within seconds...no paperwork.  But with Krungsri while you can easily register online (or ATM) within seconds, to de-register requires a visit to any of their branches and some paperwork.  Each Thai bank has it own PromptPay registration/de-registration policy...not the same policy at every Thai bank....up to that bank.

3 minutes ago, Pib said:

Update:  I went to a local Krungsri branch this morning to de-register from PromptPay.  As mentioned above while you can register for PromptPay online with Krungsri (or at a Krungsri ATM) to de-register you must visit a Krungsri branch.  Just the way Krungsri does PromptPay registration and de-registration. 

It only took the bank rep a minute to de-register me from her keyboard and I immediately got a SMS saying such, but then to finalize the process I had to sign a Krungsri PromptPay form used to register or de-register and the rep made complies of my passport main page plus two other pages with Extension of Stay info.   

When I got back home I logged onto my Bangkok Bank ibanking and registered for PromptPay with them like I was before.  All done online in a few seconds....just like when I de-registered my Bangkok Bank PromptPay.  With Bangkok Bank PromptPay registration and de-registration can all be done online...no paperwork....and I expect you can do it at a Bangkok Bank ATM also.

While doing doing the Bangkok Bank PromptPay registration I first tried to register with a joint acct owned by the wife and me--reject....no can do...acct can not be a joint acct. I then used an acct owned by me only and completed the registration.   

Yeap, I like Bangkok Bank PromptPay registration/de-registration as I can do it all online (or ATM) within seconds...no paperwork.  But with Krungsri while you can easily register online (or ATM) within seconds, to de-register requires a visit to any of their branches and some paperwork.  Each Thai bank has it own PromptPay registration/de-registration policy...not the same policy at every Thai bank....up to that bank.

I doubt PromptPay will be much use for me, I've had it a couple of years and only just realised. TrueMoney wallet on the other hand I've used a couple of times already in 7 Eleven