Wanting to go cashless

55 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I doubt PromptPay will be much use for me, I've had it a couple of years and only just realised. TrueMoney wallet on the other hand I've used a couple of times already in 7 Eleven

PromptPay is really only for someone to easily "send money to you."   Like if I owed you 100 baht all I would need to pay you back via electronic transfer within about a minute is for you to give me your PromptPay registered phone number....no other info needed...not your name...not your bank acct number....not your bnak name....only need your PromptPay registered phone number.  Give me about a minute to get into my mbanking/ibanking, send the 100 baht to your phone number, and instantly the money deposits to your acct.   I expect Thais used it a lot to send money to family/friends in need, to pay for stuff, etc.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2020 at 7:31 PM, 4MyEgo said:

esco/Lotus, Big C and Makro and have asked if there is a charge if I use my SCB debit card to pay, and the answer is always yes, 5%

I don't use debit card, I use credit cads. I don't usually shop at Makro and Big C, I do shop at Lotus Express using the cards - no extra charges for card using. Same goes for any big chain places such as Central, Tops, Petrol stations and many more. 

It is usually the small businesses that either don't accept cards at all or charge extra for using them.

However - many businesses allow transfer directly to their bank accounts which can be done through your bank's app, mostly by scanning a QR code and there is no extra cost for that

• Thanks 1

if it helps, i have SCB SMART debit and i can even pay for a coffee with it.
Anyway, I wear gloves, type my code with the gloves and take notes and change with the gloves.
Not easy at first, but we got used to it.

Last thing i would want is to go cashless, especially in a place like Thailand. I pay cash for everything, even cars/bikes. Nothing worse than at the checkout waiting for minutes for some idiot to pay by card.

Edited by Henryford
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

Last thing i would want is to go cashless, especially in a place like Thailand. I pay cash for everything, even cars/bikes. Nothing worse than at the checkout waiting for minutes for some idiot to pay by card.

Are you serious? Waiting minutes behind people using cards.????

Well this idiot always uses his card, gets pi++ed off waiting for silly women who stand there yakking while the clerk rings up their items, them starts rummaging in their bag trying to find the exact money.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

many businesses allow transfer directly to their bank accounts which can be done through your bank's app, mostly by scanning a QR code and there is no extra cost for that

Do you know whether 7 Eleven, Familymart, Big C or Makro accept the QR method?

The downsides of going cashless (bank and state control of all your money) far outweigh the possibility of becoming infected with anything after handling notes and coins.

Better to spend 20 seconds washing young hands than a lifetime wishing you hadn't given away your financial independence.

Edited by Krataiboy
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

The downsides of going cashless (bank and state control of all your money) far outweigh the possibility of becoming infected with anything after handling notes and coins.

Better to spend 20 seconds washing young hands than a lifetime wishing you hadn't given away your financial independence.

Where do you keep your cash before you get it?  I expect in a bank.  Or maybe even a periodic govt benefit payment being sent to you.   You rely on the bank/govt to get your money....unless maybe you are printing up your own money.

On 4/5/2020 at 8:50 PM, 4MyEgo said:

Understand, but was mainly referring to Tesco/Lotus, Big C and Makro, one or two posters mentioned they haven't been charged at Tesco/lotus and Big C, but Makro is cash or an app with True Money, so will try my card at Tesco/Lotus and Big C next time I am there and see if I get any charges on my statement.

I also have NEVER run into the 5% charge you are talking about. I always inquire and they specify for credit there IS a surcharge. Perhaps clarify in Thai that the card is debit and not credit. The employee might also not know the difference, it is irregular for Thais to use a debit card but not irregular for the "hiso" side of bangkok to use their SCB/kasikorn/AE creditcards and they typically aren't phased by the 5% fee because mom and dad don't care either. I'd also like to make note that my krungsri/bkk bank debit card notoriously gets declined(despite a 6 figure balance) at grocery stores and restaurants with no pattern, just whenever the machine feels like it. I've been told kasikorn has less problems but I've been led in circles more than once in this country.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

Hey I know you, I pass you every morning in the easypass lane as you hurry to find the coins you dropped on your floorboard with the line of cars honking at you from behind. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, MangoPineappleBanana said:

Perhaps clarify in Thai that the card is debit and not credit. The employee might also not know the difference, it is irregular for Thais to use a debit card

My wife does actually ask them in Thai, so I would say that the employee has no idea of the difference.

31 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Agree with what your saying, but hell, my safe isn't big enough to fit that kind of cash in it, I keep 60k a month in there for our monthly budget and am nervous having that kind of money in the safe, yes if banks go bust, so does our money, I know, but half in and half in other investments I say so as not to put all your eggs in the one basket.

On 4/5/2020 at 8:02 PM, Jimmy Pop said:

I don't know if you can access these cards,I have both,Revolut and Monzo zero overseas charges and great exchange rates.

I also use Revolut with no charges and no overseas charges. The exchange rates are very good also. Revo;ut is now available in the US, but I believe it requires a US address and phone number

On 4/5/2020 at 9:20 PM, 4MyEgo said:

Do you know that the charges are, if any, assuming there are charges, e.g. nothings for free

I accept nothing is for free but, The Revolut card I use does not make any charges. Also the exchange rate is at the point of sale. However, it is a cash card, which means I load it up as needed from my bank A/C. Revolut do not give interest, so they make money using my cash while I am in credit. What I like most about this card is the overseas transfers. If I load up the card from my UK bank at early AM UK time, it can be transferred to my Thai bank A/C by Mid Day Thai time the same day. NO CHARGES !!

On 4/5/2020 at 8:00 PM, Grumpy John said:

I though TrueMoney maybe your answer but the wife tells me it's no good at Makro......yet CP own both!  

I tried to enroll and they replied no foreigners allowed. Alipay said Chinese only. I have up on a cashless app and got a Transferwise no borders account with a debit card and loaded it with 6000 baht for emergencies and didn't see a surcharge when I tested it. Basically still on cash

On 4/6/2020 at 12:41 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Not contactless so defeats the object. Also the Revolut rates especially at the weekend are not as good as you think, certainly not as good as Halifax Clarity card or Starling Bank

If the Revolut card is not contactless, a lot of my transactions have gone unpaid, so are Revolut fiddling the book?? I don't think so.

26 minutes ago, Surasak said:

I accept nothing is for free but, The Revolut card I use does not make any charges. Also the exchange rate is at the point of sale

Revolut load all Thai baht transactions by 1% (2% at weekends) and that's why it's not been a recommended card for Thialand for some time.  It also has a low cash withdrawal limit which restricts use for some.

https://www.revolut.com/help/getting-started/exchanging-currencies/what-foreign-exchange-rate-will-i-get

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Surasak said:

If the Revolut card is not contactless, a lot of my transactions have gone unpaid, so are Revolut fiddling the book?? I don't think so.

That doesn't make sense. If you go into Big C for example you'd hand your card over, you sign for it or enter pin? or something else? last time i used a card in there i had to sign for it, no pin required.

As for Revolut THB exchange rate say at the weekend, how do they calculate it?

4 minutes ago, treetops said:

Revolut load all Thai baht transactions by 1% (2% at weekends) and that's why it's not been a recommended card for Thialand for some time.  It also has a low cash withdrawal limit which restricts use for some.

https://www.revolut.com/help/getting-started/exchanging-currencies/what-foreign-exchange-rate-will-i-get

I have no intention of causing a dispute, but why when I transfer £3000.00 from my Revolut card to my Thai bank, the Thai bank quotes the amount received as £3000.00 and then the exchange rate. Admittedly the exchange rate is not top notch but I don't lose £30.00 on the transaction. If I did, it would be cheaper to use the UK bank to transfer.

14 minutes ago, treetops said:

Correct info. I binned my card a couple years ago when they started adding on charged for THB because it was an illiquid currency. Also their marketing is totally misleading, people still think they give a good rate as shown on this thread

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

That doesn't make sense. If you go into Big C for example you'd hand your card over, you sign for it or enter pin? or something else? last time i used a card in there i had to sign for it, no pin required.

As for Revolut THB exchange rate say at the weekend, how do they calculate it?

If I use a contactless card, I don't sigh anything, or enter a PIN. Its a contactless transaction. As for Revolute THB exchange rate at the weekend, it would be the same as any other VISA card transaction. Revolut is a VISA CASH card

5 minutes ago, Surasak said:

If I use a contactless card, I don't sigh anything, or enter a PIN. Its a contactless transaction. As for Revolute THB exchange rate at the weekend, it would be the same as any other VISA card transaction. Revolut is a VISA CASH card

you have a lot to learn, see post #84 & #87. We are talking Thailand not the US, you can use it contactless in Big C?

Edited by scubascuba3

26 minutes ago, Surasak said:

Admittedly the exchange rate is not top notch but I don't lose £30.00 on the transaction.

You are asking the Thai Bank to do the currency conversion, not Revolut.  This will give a similar rate to  Revolut (some banks slightly more (including Krungthai) some slightly less if I look just now).

The £30.00 comes in because you do lose that compared to the Interbank rate, but of course Joe Public never gets that.  Compared to Revolut, Transferwise would save you £11.47 on that transaction, and if you use a fees free UK card to get cash without the ATM fee, or use at POS, you'd save even more again.

Edit:  There's also the Thai bank receiving fee of minimum 200 baht to add.

Edited by treetops