Wanting to go cashless

On 4/5/2020 at 7:31 PM, 4MyEgo said:

Can anyone advise how to go cashless without being charged using my SCB debit card (own money).

If it has 'Wave' you can pay with that without giving the card. But it need to be enabled with the bank and your account.

On 4/5/2020 at 7:31 PM, 4MyEgo said:

Back in the old country I could use my debit card to tap off up to $100 or put in my pin number for over $100, but as Thailand is a developing country, that isn't possible here yet, that said, I shop at Tesco/Lotus, Big C and Makro and have asked if there is a charge if I use my SCB debit card to pay, and the answer is always yes, 5%, so what's the point, I mean if I spend 4,000 baht on average, I have to add 200 baht or $10 for the convenience, which is obscured.

Are you sure it is a DEBIT card and not a CREDIT card?

Debit-cards does normally not have a charge in percentage, especially at Tesco and Big C. Some stores want a minimum but not at those two stores.

On 4/5/2020 at 8:07 PM, Gweiloman said:

I never get charged extra at Tesco, Big C etc. Makro, AFAIK, accepts cash only. 

and..

On 4/5/2020 at 8:12 PM, timendres said:

The Marko on OnNut in BKK accepts one, and only one, credit card - can't remember which one it is.

and..

On 4/5/2020 at 8:10 PM, CharlieK said:

Makro is cash only.

At Makro you can pay with card if Citi bank (mastercard) , with which they have partnered with.

Recently I have seen them using the QR payment method, you can use the mobile phone app to pay.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Do you know whether 7 Eleven, Familymart, Big C or Makro accept the QR method?

At 7-11 I buy small things so paying cash. No big c / familymart / makro in my area so I don't know if any of those use QR method 

3 hours ago, Pib said:

Where do you keep your cash before you get it?  I expect in a bank.  Or maybe even a periodic govt benefit payment being sent to you.   You rely on the bank/govt to get your money....unless maybe you are printing up your own money.

Save my sore fingers. Read this instead.

https://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/2014/04/22/Growing-Perils-Cashless-Future

Unfortunately there's no single cashless payment option that works everywhere. For what it's worth, I use the following:

Kasikorn Bank contactless Visa (Wave) Debit Card: Tesco Lotus, Big C. I use the same card for Grab Pay (rides and deliveries).

Prompt Pay (Kasikorn Bank app): Various food stalls, electricity and water bills

True Money app: 7/11, Chester Grill

Rabbit Card: BTS, McDonald's, Burger King, MOS Burger

There's some overlap though - I just meant to give examples.

2 hours ago, Surasak said:

I have no intention of causing a dispute, but why when I transfer £3000.00 from my Revolut card to my Thai bank, the Thai bank quotes the amount received as £3000.00 and then the exchange rate. Admittedly the exchange rate is not top notch but I don't lose £30.00 on the transaction. If I did, it would be cheaper to use the UK bank to transfer.

Fee on TW £18.53 and at the moment exchange rate at the moment of 40.4093

So it’s very likely that the better exchange rate makes up for at least part, if not all, the fee.

Keep on dreaming with you cashless system.

You have to see the big picture and that tell us that covid-19/Sars-2/corona can survive op to 9 days on all kind of materials.

Even the materials used like copper and silver this virus does survive more then 4 hours.

Plastics as used in shops up to 5 days. Carton packaging up to 4 days

The virus also has been found infecting like and aerosol. As well the distance advised of 1.5 meter actually has to become 6 meters or more.

People who have had mild infection do not seem to have enough resistance build up and get infected again as a recent research outcome showed.

Another research shows that people who recovered seem to be spreading the infection up to 8days after the official declaration of being healthy.

People also seem to start spreading when they not are showing sings of infections

They see that people who live in areas that have had bcg vaccine have less serious infection reactions.

They also see that their are people who are seen as healthy and have the right bmi as well waist measurement and they die quick as within half day after they have been administered. These are people who enter just with light signs.

The cashless payment not solve the problems you fear.

Common sense does.

Just accept that the situation is as it is stay at home do not travel and try to work from home instead of from the office.

When you have signs stay at home for at least 14 days.

Airplans, trains, buses, cars, motorbikes, bicycles make that the virus can travel fast and spread easy around the world. Perfect hiding in the tourist, travelers and expats like the most who read this.

We travel so fast that we give it a change to spread without knowing we are spreading.

Until we have a good working vaccine we can start to prevent or medication this is all we can do not travel, stay at home and keep distance for the next period of a year when the vaccines probably are ready to administer.

This virus hid us and showed us a small part of the Achilles heel. showed that we do need to produce locally, eat local produced food and probably stop traveling like we have done the last 30 years.

We all can not agree with this what the virus showed us. Together with the other signs of the problems with the green/blue/grey water, the Sand shortage, the Radon problems cause by building materials like concrete and the energy problems we do have to solve and address a lot issues especially when we look at the impact of this virus we also have to listen to the 80/20 rule and not deny it.

18 minutes ago, Autonuaq said:

Keep on dreaming with you cashless system.

You have to see the big picture and that tell us that covid-19/Sars-2/corona can survive op to 9 days on all kind of materials.

Even the materials used like copper and silver this virus does survive more then 4 hours.

Plastics as used in shops up to 5 days. Carton packaging up to 4 days

The virus also has been found infecting like and aerosol. As well the distance advised of 1.5 meter actually has to become 6 meters or more.

People who have had mild infection do not seem to have enough resistance build up and get infected again as a recent research outcome showed.

Another research shows that people who recovered seem to be spreading the infection up to 8days after the official declaration of being healthy.

People also seem to start spreading when they not are showing sings of infections

They see that people who live in areas that have had bcg vaccine have less serious infection reactions.

They also see that their are people who are seen as healthy and have the right bmi as well waist measurement and they die quick as within half day after they have been administered. These are people who enter just with light signs.

The cashless payment not solve the problems you fear.

Common sense does.

Just accept that the situation is as it is stay at home do not travel and try to work from home instead of from the office.

When you have signs stay at home for at least 14 days.

Airplans, trains, buses, cars, motorbikes, bicycles make that the virus can travel fast and spread easy around the world. Perfect hiding in the tourist, travelers and expats like the most who read this.

We travel so fast that we give it a change to spread without knowing we are spreading.

Until we have a good working vaccine we can start to prevent or medication this is all we can do not travel, stay at home and keep distance for the next period of a year when the vaccines probably are ready to administer.

This virus hid us and showed us a small part of the Achilles heel. showed that we do need to produce locally, eat local produced food and probably stop traveling like we have done the last 30 years.

We all can not agree with this what the virus showed us. Together with the other signs of the problems with the green/blue/grey water, the Sand shortage, the Radon problems cause by building materials like concrete and the energy problems we do have to solve and address a lot issues especially when we look at the impact of this virus we also have to listen to the 80/20 rule and not deny it.

BCG vaccine?

3 hours ago, treetops said:

You are asking the Thai Bank to do the currency conversion, not Revolut.  This will give a similar rate to  Revolut (some banks slightly more (including Krungthai) some slightly less if I look just now).

The £30.00 comes in because you do lose that compared to the Interbank rate, but of course Joe Public never gets that.  Compared to Revolut, Transferwise would save you £11.47 on that transaction, and if you use a fees free UK card to get cash without the ATM fee, or use at POS, you'd save even more again.

Edit:  There's also the Thai bank receiving fee of minimum 200 baht to add.

WHAT £30.00? I just stated there are NO fees. Get that? NO fees. And, I can tell you KrungThai do NOT charge 200 Baht receiving fee. I think you've been in the treetop too long.

3 hours ago, Surasak said:

I have no intention of causing a dispute, but why when I transfer £3000.00 from my Revolut card to my Thai bank, the Thai bank quotes the amount received as £3000.00 and then the exchange rate. Admittedly the exchange rate is not top notch but I don't lose £30.00 on the transaction. If I did, it would be cheaper to use the UK bank to transfer.

2 minutes ago, Surasak said:

WHAT £30.00? I just stated there are NO fees. Get that? NO fees. And, I can tell you KrungThai do NOT charge 200 Baht receiving fee. I think you've been in the treetop too long.

The £30 you mentioned before as being 1% of £3,000.  I've quoted it here for you as it appears to have slipped your mind.

If you've got one of the few Thai accounts not charging a fee to receive from overseas then well done as most charge a percentage with a minimum of 200 baht, capped at 500 baht.  Despite that (if it's correct) using Revolut is not the most efficient way to pay for things in Thailand, and if transferring GBP to Krungthai Bank, if it was as good as you say it would be getting promoted endlessly by expats or similar everywhere.  When Revolut started it was well recommended but it has slipped considerably since then.

Your petty little dig indicates you obviously have no interest in information given hoping to improve your financial position so best you carry on in your ignorance.

Thailand is now following the Chinese model and moving to payments via mobile phone rather than Visa Wave etc. 

It really is convenient to use an app  and there is no charge. You don't need to load the wallet with cash (although the Thais do that), you just link the app to your card or bank account. Most places will let you scan with your own bank's app (ie Big C), with 7-11 you can use True Wallet. 

Makro accepts Citibank cards only but I read they recently began accepting True Wallet as well. 

4 hours ago, treetops said:

The £30 you mentioned before as being 1% of £3,000.  I've quoted it here for you as it appears to have slipped your mind.

If you've got one of the few Thai accounts not charging a fee to receive from overseas then well done as most charge a percentage with a minimum of 200 baht, capped at 500 baht.  Despite that (if it's correct) using Revolut is not the most efficient way to pay for things in Thailand, and if transferring GBP to Krungthai Bank, if it was as good as you say it would be getting promoted endlessly by expats or similar everywhere.  When Revolut started it was well recommended but it has slipped considerably since then.

Your petty little dig indicates you obviously have no interest in information given hoping to improve your financial position so best you carry on in your ignorance.

My ignorance is in much better shape than your nonsense. How many times do you have to be told. Revolut do NOT make any charges for transferring money from the card to my Thai bank. Also, if done at the right time, it takes about 4 to 6 hours max once the transaction is activated, for the money to arrive in said Thai bank. Also, as stated, KrungThai do NOT charge for receiving the transferred cash, neither do Bangkok Bank. I use both.

As for using Revolut for purchases in Thailand, I pay the price as stated on the invoice when presented. How can that be inefficient, as the price paid is Thai baht?.

For your further information, a UK address and phone number is required to obtain a Revolut card. not easy for some.

Revolut is also now available in the US since two weeks ago. I would assume the same requirements would apply to acquire one.

13 hours ago, Surasak said:

Revolut do NOT make any charges for transferring money from the card to my Thai bank. Also, if done at the right time, it takes about 4 to 6 hours max once the transaction is activated, for the money to arrive in said Thai bank. Also, as stated, KrungThai do NOT charge for receiving the transferred cash, neither do Bangkok Bank. I use both.

As I said, if it was this good then every British expat on Thaivisa and elsewhere would be shouting it from the rooftops.  They're not.

13 hours ago, Surasak said:

As for using Revolut for purchases in Thailand, I pay the price as stated on the invoice when presented. How can that be inefficient, as the price paid is Thai baht?

Because Revolut set the exchange rate and for Thailand it is 1% below the interbank rate (2% at weekends) which can easily be beaten.

2 hours ago, treetops said:

As I said, if it was this good then every British expat on Thaivisa and elsewhere would be shouting it from the rooftops.  They're not.

Because Revolut set the exchange rate and for Thailand it is 1% below the interbank rate (2% at weekends) which can easily be beaten.

Last I'll say on this subject.

You believe what you want, I know what I know.

I downloaded the True Money app and it's surprisngly lean and fast for using in 7/11 - unfortunately not covered in family mart. 

I'm a Bangkok Bank user and got their app. I also signed up for Prompt Pay. Today I was about to try Bangkok Bank/Prompt Pay in Tesco but I couldn't really figure it out, so I payed in cash. 

It's not the same as for true money, right? Could someone give me a step for step here. For the retard to learn...

8 hours ago, aldriglikvid said:

I downloaded the True Money app and it's surprisngly lean and fast for using in 7/11 - unfortunately not covered in family mart. 

I'm a Bangkok Bank user and got their app. I also signed up for Prompt Pay. Today I was about to try Bangkok Bank/Prompt Pay in Tesco but I couldn't really figure it out, so I payed in cash. 

It's not the same as for true money, right? Could someone give me a step for step here. For the retard to learn...

I agree True Money wallet is good for 7 Eleven. I tried using QR code in 7 Eleven (same scanner process as True MW) but they said cannot. I think this uses promptpay so you need to use the bank app you've registered for PP in my case Kasikorn. I'll try in another 7 Eleven or Familymart. On Bangkok Bank App it's Pay Bill - Scan to Pay

Thanks! I have signed up for Prompt Pay and it's alive. My question is more how it "works". With True Money the store scans my QR code. WIth Bangkok Bank (Promptpay) I'm supposed to scan a QR code. How do I scan? Do I ask the store for "QR Code" or "Promptpay"? 

Thanks for your patience.