90 parental visiting to 1 year parent visa.

I am a divorced Dad here on a 90 day Non O visiting parent visa. That visa expires on April 18th. I have no desire to go back to the UK, paricularly as I may not be able to return to Thailand easily, and therefore risk being sperated from my kids (with whom I am very close) for a long period of time. I would like to acquire a 1 year parents visa. I can get the 400k into my Bkk Bank account this week via a short-term loan from a friend. Will it be possible for me to obtain the 1 year visa? If so, what other paperwork would be required? If this is not possible, what would be my best option to avoid leaving Thailand for as long as possible?  Apologies if this has been covered in another thread, I could not see it. Thanks a lot in advance for any advice.

You are here on a Non O visa to visit your Thai child, right? Your easiest extension of your permission to stay is 60 days to extend your visit to your child. You basically just need the Thai birth certificate and your child to go with you to immigration.

To get a longer extension, you need to apply for a one-year extension of your permission to stay. The basic requirements are outlined in this Police Order under "reason or necessity" 2.18. There ere are many threads that describe the process in more detail.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BritTim said:

You are here on a Non O visa to visit your Thai child, right? Your easiest extension of your permission to stay is 60 days to extend your visit to your child. You basically just need the Thai birth certificate and your child to go with you to immigration.

Need the mother, her ID and papers signed etc too. At least I do during every extension. Even to obtain the non-o in the first place.

To OP:
If she is willing to work with you on a minimum basis, your best shot is changing to yearly extensions as that only requires her time once a year.
If using a agent in the BKK / Chonburi area it will be easy if based on a child too, expect 20-30K for a yearly fix Chonburi, 40-50K BKK.

If she not works with you / unmarried, you would basically need to go trough court first to get actual parental rights etc too.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

Thanks guys. The mother is happy to help, and can go with me and the kids. It is definitely the one year extension I want. I just don't wanna: borrow the 400k, and the drag my ex and the kids to Chaeng wattana only to find out I'm missing some obscure document and need to do the whole thing again, or to get told that I need to leave the kingdom first or some other impossible procedure...stressful...

If you deposit for a short term, it still need to come from abroad and in your bank for 2 months the first time. As well that she needs to go with you and the child. With the limited time you have, without leaving, best chance is using a agent to fix it up if she is willing to cooperate.
Otherwise covid extensions or overstay.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

6 minutes ago, SteveB67 said:

Ouch... money won't come from abroad... can't get it for 2 months... can't really afford a Bangkok agent at 40k...

Well, if you can borrow the 400K, perhaps you could borrow the 40K instead... That would be Bangkok and as of crisis right, normally in Pattaya can be as little as 25K. 
Not a bad deal comparing to flying out of the country, obtaining a new visa etc, specially knowing what is going on right now. At least you are done for a while then.

I mean, if you would spend 20K to get back to the UK already, you only need 20K to borrow more. For 2 months was needed anyways.
Often you get TM30 and 90 day reporting included if you ask for it.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

1 minute ago, SteveB67 said:

Advice much appreciated.. no income right now due to covid though... meagre savings, and can only borrow in the very short term. Never mind. I will persevere. Thanks again!

Totally get that, guess you have to buy time with covid extensions in that case. Good luck.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

3 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Need the mother, her ID and papers signed etc too. At least I do during every extension. Even to obtain the non-o in the first place.

Assuming the OP was married to the mother at the time of the birth, and the OP can show the divorce papers, I do not think the mother needs to be present, or involved in any way, certainly for the 60-day extension.

3 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

If you deposit for a short term, it still need to come from abroad and in your bank for 2 months the first time. As well that she needs to go with you and the child. With the limited time you have, without leaving, best chance is using a agent to fix it up if she is willing to cooperate.
Otherwise covid extensions or overstay.

As long as you are already on a non immigrant entry (and not looking to convert from a tourist entry) there is no requirement to prove the money came from abroad.  While some offices dispute this, the official rules as laid out in the Police Order does not require any two month seasoning for an extension based on a Thai child. You will need to check with the local immigration office for their policy on this.

For the short term, just go with the 60-day extension that does not require any financial proof.

EDIT: Wait for @ubonjoe to see this thread and confirm the points above. He is the expert.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, SteveB67 said:

Thanks guys. The mother is happy to help, and can go with me and the kids. It is definitely the one year extension I want. I just don't wanna: borrow the 400k, and the drag my ex and the kids to Chaeng wattana only to find out I'm missing some obscure document and need to do the whole thing again, or to get told that I need to leave the kingdom first or some other impossible procedure...stressful...

Your child's mother does not have be with you when you apply for a one year extension based upon being the parent of a Thai. Only your children will need to be with you.

The 400k baht only has to be in the bank on the date you apply for the extension according to the written rules but there are a few offices that will say it has to be in the bank for two months.

Do you have full custody or joint custody of your children from your divorce?

You will need their birth certificates and copies. Your marriage certificate to prove you are their legally parent and your divorce decree.

I suggest you contact you local office about what they require for photos of you and them in and around the house. If they are going to school some offices will want a letter from the school.

If you need more time to get the paperwork and money in the bank you can apply for a 60 day extension to visit them and then apply for the one year extension near the end of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ubon Joe, thanks so much! Certificates etc, should be OK. I'm in western Bangkok (Putthamonton), so I guess the local office would still be Chaengwattana (even though it isn't very local). I will try to call them.  My wife has custody on the divorce papers as I understand it, but it mentions that I make regular maintenance payments. There has never been any dispute between me and my ex regarding the kids. Thanks once again. I appreciate all the advice greatly.

Edited by SteveB67
More info

14 minutes ago, SteveB67 said:

I'm in western Bangkok (Putthamonton), so I guess the local office would still be Chaengwattana (even though it isn't very local). I will try to call them.

Does your address show Bangkok in it.

Tried doing a search for Putthamonton but got several results for it.

• Thanks 1