Closure orders for sub-districts: Karon, Kata, and Rawai

skatewash

It looks like the lock-down that was applied to Patong in the past few days will be applied to more sub-districts of Phuket on Monday (6/4/2020). The sub-districts affected will be Rawai, Kata, and Karon.

From the Phuket New Era Expats group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/NewEraExpats/

UPDATE: It looks like the Phuket New Era Expats group is getting most of their news on the closures from the Newshawk Phuket group, so you might want to follow the news there (although almost everything is in Thai). A good use for Google Chrome's translate feature or the Translate app using your smart phone's camera:

https://www.facebook.com/NewshawkPhuket/

The pictures below are for the announcement pertaining to Rawai, but I believe the ones for Karon and Kata sub-districts are substantially the same.

The gist of the order appears to be the following:

"From tomorrow 6 April 2020 until further notice, Karon and Rawai Sub-districts are going to be locked down. Nobody will be allowed to get in or out, except essential logistics. The residents are asked to stay in the accommodation at all time. The authority will disinfect the whole sub-district and test everyone."

91846867_2509591969289416_7023246718464425984_o.jpg

92120313_2509592022622744_1294897936408248320_o.jpg

92828704_2509592055956074_5411513781979185152_o.jpg

92022377_2509592092622737_3379935117861453824_o.jpg

Well this is a bummer... I supposed to go from Kata to Rawai tomorrow to pick up some documents... Is this workable, or should I ask them to send it by post which could take a while... (it's only 10 minutes by motorbike)

I supposed to go from Kata to Rawai to get some documents... Rawai company just told me to stay at home and they will send the driver to bring the docs here... They said "we must send it today *because Kata & Karon will be closed from tomorrow*".

• Like 2

Seems it was caused by exodus of visitors from Patong when it's lockdown was announced... Rawai Thai friends saw the news saying that 30 hotel guests in Rawai who recently moved from Patong "got sick"... she says it was in Thai news... Not sure why they close Karon+Kata, anybody heard any news?

Even the lock down is announced it will take about 1/2 says days before it will be full enforced.

So i expect that in about 2 days the areas will be fully closed.

Kathu district is next. (soft closing from tomorrow and fully unforced in a few days)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, merijn said:

Even the lock down is announced it will take about 1/2 says days before it will be full enforced.

So i expect that in about 2 days the areas will be fully closed.

Kathu district is next. (soft closing from tomorrow and fully unforced in a few days)

Yep

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-governor-orders-shut-down-for-chalong-kathu-75614.php?fbclid=IwAR1UPmY4sCyj4rgvGg9qDp_WS_LRlSjri8yp2e66vrm0wy5Kr34Mwdpdw8Q

18 hours ago, merijn said:

About Kathu, anyone know if the Tops food/grocery store in Central is open?? Asking for a friend.

43 minutes ago, sonos99 said:

I went to Villa market this morning from Rawai. There is a checkpoint set up by Tescos on Visit Rd. On my return I was informed that Rawai will be closed on Monday.

Question is : where will they close ? Supercheap, Post Office and Soi Suksan 1 are in Rawai. The check point is in front of Tesco and not at Chalong Circle. Somebody understand ?

5 hours ago, xylophone said:

About Kathu, anyone know if the Tops food/grocery store in Central is open?? Asking for a friend.

The food sores are open in the old and new central.

But they are setting up a check point on the road between the post office and Makro which would mean that the Makro and Central are not accessible from Kathu when the lockdown is into effect.

It is a strange location as Kathu district is until the traffic lights at Central. (it's a easy location to control the traffic i guess)

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, merijn said:

The food sores are open in the old and new central.

But they are setting up a check point on the road between the post office and Makro which would mean that the Makro and Central are not accessible from Kathu when the lockdown is into effect.

It is a strange location as Kathu district is until the traffic lights at Central. (it's a easy location to control the traffic i guess)

Thanks Merijn........have passed on the info.

I was trying to go to Villa Market from Karon over the Kata Hill check-point at 4pm.  I was told there is a lockdown and I am not allowed to leave.  If I insist to go, I will not be let back in.  They are quite serious in maintaining this lockdown which is good but cause some inconvenience.  I can get most of my grocery from Makro.  Only concern is new stock may not come so regularly.  My favourite thick toast bread store in Karon has no new delivery since last week.

• Like 1

To those in Karon, ( makro is in kata)  Rawaii, Nai Harn, and some others sub districts an are forced to remain in their sub districts.

where will they be able to shop>

Those of us in Kamala, Chern talay, Chalong, Kata, Phuket town, Patong have choices

Edited by phuketrichard

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/phuket-officially-announces-restricted-travel-between-districts-from-april-13

Phuket prepares to close off every district on April 13, for 14 days. Phuket officials have already ordered the closure of more than 6 sub-districts includes Patong, Kathu, Rawai, Karon, Kata and Pla Klok Districts.

Pakpong Thawiphat, the Phuket Governor has given a live interview on MCOT, explaining in-depth that Phuket will close all the remaining sub-districts from April 13 for 14 days. He stressed that it is not a new curfew as people will still be able to travel within their own district.

The Phuket Communicable Disease Committee have also agreed that the remaining sub-districts should be shut down and all 17 districts will have a screening point along roads into their areas.