Sudden changes by aviation authorities leave Thais overseas and their families frustrated

webfact

12 minutes ago, steveyinasia said:

If there was a ban on international flights, why did 5 international flights land yesterday before 9am?

Two from Frankfurt, one from Zurich, Tokyo and Doha

did they in fact land and did they have passengers. i think eva air br67 landed around the 11.30am mark, but would have had no passengers, it was showing as landed on flight radar24, but as cancelled on bkk arrivals.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Watana said his daughter had followed all requirements set by the government including getting the "fit to fly" health certificate 72 hours before the flight departure. He said she had got all the required documents before the government ordered Thais to delay their entry and plane officials told her to leave the aircraft because of a flight ban enforced by the Thai government.

i can just imagine ...... Do you know who I am?

• Haha 1

Now that THAI airways is no longer flying, the chances of a “Do You Know who I Am” tantrum at an airport checkin are probably quite low. When they do occur I suspect TSA or whatever airport police are responsible for security will not be interested in negotiating.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Watana said the government order barring Thais overseas from returning until April 16 violated the human rights provision under the Constitution.

And the government doesn't care, because no-one will do anything about it. Take Thailand to the Court of Human Rights? Take the Thai government to the Thai courts? Good luck with that.

3 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

I will be the first to admit that I do not know the circumstances that require her to return to Thailand, nor is it any of my business. But if she is based in the U.S. as is stated, and not just vacationing, then why not just stay put until all this mess is over.

Of course, that does not absolve the totally incompetent Government departments issuing contradictory edicts on a day to day basis, thus ensuring that no-one, most of all those issuing the edicts, has a blind clue as to what is required.

Of course she like to come back, she is afraid about the spread of the virus in the USA, in contrast to here.

31 minutes ago, jimmjam said:

Maybe the returnees who got back the other day would of done as they were told, and gone into quarantine, these people might of been able to come back.

and why didn't the members here pick up on this before hi so thought they could just walk in

• Like 1

3 hours ago, djayz said:

It's at times like these, that people like those realise that they really aren't that special after all.

However, they still fail to realise that reality and their fantasies are not one and the same and one does not take precedence over the other especially when in another country.  I do agree with an earlier post, nobody, as far as I can read, has asserted the "Do you know who I am?" declaration.

'nuf sed

1 hour ago, jimmjam said:

Maybe the returnees who got back the other day would of done as they were told, and gone into quarantine, these people might of been able to come back.

Very true. These people - and I mean everyone, not just Thais (in case some snowflakes think this is another Thai-bashing episode) think they will not get infected and if they do, they will not be sick because of it. Be that as it may, they never thought of the people who would get the virus FROM them! Bloody selfish sods, if you ask me. And perhaps, like you said, because of these people, the government had no choice but to stop them from entering altogether. Hard ball yes, but it is what it is.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Plenty of posts here along the lines of 'do you know who I am'. Yet nowhere is the report does the passenger or her father use that expression or even suggest the law shouldn't apply to them. He merely points out the way that the leaders of his country have <deleted> up again.

Still, let's not let facts get in the way of an unfounded rant.

Must have been too difficult to resist, given the reputation of self-importance of Thais. Given also that everything in his diatribe refers to Thais....  Even the reference to human rights provisions, not about affecting travellers, but affecting Thai travellers...

Watana said the government order barring Thais overseas from returning until April 16 violated the human rights provision under the Constitution. As the health certificate is valid for only 72 hours, getting a new certificate will impose an additional cost burden on Thai travellers, he said.

5 hours ago, steveyinasia said:

If there was a ban on international flights, why did 5 international flights land yesterday before 9am?

Two from Frankfurt, one from Zurich, Tokyo and Doha

Because the media, the Thai diaspora and all TV stress monkeys have jumper all over the over-simplified, headline-grabbing 'all flights banned tag line where, if they bothered to read the small print in the government edict.

"According to the order, all aircraft carrying passengers will be prohibited from entering Thailand from 0.01am on April 4 until 11.59pm on April 6, with exception for state or military aircraft, emergency landing, technical landing of aircraft without passengers, humanitarian aid, medical and relief flights, repatriation flights and cargo aircraft."

In also understand that like other countries with flight restrictions, aircraft turnaround must be less than 3 hours and all crew are prohibited from disembarking, even for a p!ss.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385405

Oh dear. Somebody didn't think something through properly.

How very unlike Thailand.

Still, I suppose there is some kind of unsought entertainment to be had by acknowledging that the people mainly suffering at the hands of a Thai foul-up, are fellow Thais.

Now there's a terrible thing

Edited by ParkerN