UK PM Johnson admitted to hospital for tests after persistent coronavirus symptoms

webfact

UK PM Johnson admitted to hospital for tests after persistent coronavirus symptoms

Guy Faulconbridge, Michael Holden

REUTERS.jpg

FILE PHOTO: Prime Minister Boris Johnson speaks during a news conference on the ongoing situation with the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in London, Britain March 22, 2020. Ian Vogler/Pool via REUTERS/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Boris Johnson was admitted to hospital for tests on Sunday in what Downing Street said was a “precautionary step” because he was showing persistent symptoms of coronavirus ten days after testing positive for the virus.

“On the advice of his doctor, the Prime Minister has tonight been admitted to hospital for tests,” Downing Street said.

“This is a precautionary step, as the Prime Minister continues to have persistent symptoms of coronavirus ten days after testing positive for the virus,” Downing Street said.

Johnson, 55, on March 27 became the first leader of a major power to announce that he had tested positive. He went into isolation at a flat in Downing Street and said on Friday he was staying there as he still had a high temperature.

Johnson continues to have a high temperature and Downing Street underscored that this was not an emergency admission. The prime minister’s doctors considered it sensible for him to be seen in person.

Johnson remains in charge of the government, Downing Street said.

“The prime minister thanks NHS staff for all of their incredible hard work and urges the public to continue to follow the government’s advice to stay at home, protect the NHS and save lives,” Downing Street said.

Carrie Symonds, Johnson’s 32-year-old pregnant fiancée, said on Saturday that she had spent the past week in bed with symptoms of the novel coronavirus but after seven days of rest felt stronger and was on the mend.

(Editing by Kate Holton)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-04-06

2 hours ago, champers said:

Has he gone private, I wonder?

No he hasn't NHS hospital. Does that answer your suggestion and hint of sarcasm.

"It was understood that he was driven to St Thomas’ Hospital, across the Thames from Westminster, at about 8pm, and given oxygen treatment."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/coronavirus-boris-johnson-taken-to-hospital-over-persistent-symptoms-b2xsbg9hs

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

you would have thought so, but FTSE futures now up nearly 2%

Interesting. I have no idea how indicative weekend futures trading is of actual sentiment in the UK markets.

Is it possible that demand for futures has increased as investors seek to hedge against additional turmoil over the next week or so?

It seems unlikely to me that, once this news is digested and the actual markets open in six hours, they will jump. When Corbyn lost the election, the markets were so relieved they practically jumped out of their chairs, onto their desks, and danced a jig. 

Edited by donnacha

4 hours ago, champers said:

Has he gone private, I wonder?

Pretty much all private medical facilities have been taken into state control for the duration of the emergency.

Edited by donnacha

31 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Uncertainty of his fate will hit the pound and markets. Cold and clinical, but that's the economic reality. That's not to say I don't wish him a speedy recovery, because any loss of a human life to this virus is one too many.   

i don't think so.

The good thing about Westminster systems of government is PMs come and go and there would be no shortage of people in line.

Its only when whole cabinets start dropping off then people would be worried.

3 minutes ago, samran said:

i don't think so.

The good thing about Westminster systems of government is PMs come and go and there would be no shortage of people in line.

Its only when whole cabinets start dropping off then people would be worried.

it's not the people, it's the market traders who will react on this news as I've premised. What happens after his fate is known, is a future market reaction. 

With respect, uncertainty is what drives currencies down.

• Like 2

On the advice of his doctor, the Prime Minister has tonight been admitted to hospital for tests.
This is a precautionary step, as the Prime Minister continues to have persistent symptoms of coronavirus ten days after testing positive for the virus.
The Prime Minister thanks NHS staff for all of their incredible hard work and urges the public to continue to follow the Government's advice to stay at home, protect the NHS and save lives.

Statement from Downing Street: 5 April 2020

5 hours ago, donnacha said:

Bojo's chances are probably better than most as he is only 55 years old, but almost all survivors sustain permanent damage as a side-effect of intubation. Often damage to their cognitive function.

This took me a little by surprise, but as I am almost totally ignorant of medical matters, I googled the side effects of intubation and found this:

"Most people recover from intubation with no long-term effects." 

Is there something specific about covid-19 that makes intubation potentially dangerous? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, donnacha said:

The word is that he was finally admitted because his respiratory problems became too severe to treat with a team of doctors alone, but there was no way to quietly bring a ventilator, plus the necessary trained staff, into No. 10 without it leaking. So, they had no choice but to bite the bullet and have him admitted.

He has to be in an ICU and, almost certainly, is already on a ventilator.

If they wanted "to quietly bring a ventilator, plus the necessary trained staff, into No. 10 without it leaking" they could have done so. In addition, I would rate the chance of someone leaking information regarding the PMs condition slightly (to say the very least) higher if he is treated at a local NHS-hospital rather than at home by a team handpicked for this purpose.

Furthermore, I don't see why he "has to be in an ICU" or why he "is already on a ventilator". 

My best bet is that he's had his chest x-rayed (you don't bring that kit into No. 10 unnoticed...) and that it showed that he's got pneumonia. That's the nature of this infection...

Edited by Forethat
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, donnacha said:

Bojo's chances are probably better than most as he is only 55 years old, but almost all survivors sustain permanent damage as a side-effect of intubation. Often damage to their cognitive function.

Boris is a good guy, let's hope he gets a proper Draeger ventilator, not one of those experimental snorkel masks that the obscure UK university came up with.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

This took me a little by surprise, but as I am almost totally ignorant of medical matters, I googled the side effects of intubation and found this:

"Most people recover from intubation with no long-term effects." 

Is there something specific about covid-19 that makes intubation potentially dangerous? 

Well, I only know what I have read. It does appear that most of those now being intubated are not recovering. My understanding is that it requires a great deal of skill and experience to correctly monitor and control a ventilator. The flow of air has to be exactly right - not too much, not too little. Even at the best of times, this is tricky and, again based only on what I have read, lung damage and brain damage are both common side-effects.

The problem now, as we ramp up production of ventilators, is that we cannot ramp up an equal number of experienced staff. This may increase the numbers of unfortunate side-effects.

9 hours ago, Forethat said:

If they wanted "to quietly bring a ventilator, plus the necessary trained staff, into No. 10 without it leaking" they could have done so.

You might be overestimating the actual operational power of No. 10. They were leaking like a sieve all week. If the press asked the straight question "Is there now a ventilator in No. 10?" they would not be able to deny it, whereas they have some level of deniability if he is in a hospital where there also happen to be ventilators present.

Furthermore, I don't see why he "has to be in an ICU" or why he "is already on a ventilator". 

Because all other stages of Covid-19 could have continued to be treated within No. 10. Again, if there was any way at all they could have avoided hospital admission they would have. More is at stake here than just one man's life.

Also, he had been going downhill for ten days. That is generally the point at which intensive care becomes necessary.

My best bet is that he's had his chest x-rayed (you don't bring that kit into No. 10 unnoticed...)

If he only needed an x-ray, he could have had an outpatient appointment. In terms of public perception, there is a world of difference between that and actually being admitted.

The latest news is that he is responding well to treatment, so, hopefully my worst fears won't be realised.

Edited by donnacha
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, donnacha said:

You might be overestimating the actual operational power of No. 10.

No, I'm referring to the logistical options of No. 10.

23 minutes ago, donnacha said:

Because all other stages of Covid-19 could have continued to be treated within No. 10.

You're wrong. No. 10 is not a hospital. 

25 minutes ago, donnacha said:

Also, he had been going downhill for ten days. That is generally the point at which intensive care becomes necessary.

Really!? I've read all sorts of papers on this topic but have yet to find a manual. Would you be so kind to share this manual with us? Actually, judging by the available statistics, none of your speculations are correct. 

28 minutes ago, donnacha said:

The latest news is that he is responding well to treatment, so, hopefully my worst fears won't be realised.

According to your gossipy hogwash, he's already on a ventilator resulting in permanent damages. You should be ashamed of yourself spreading such BS.

BJ could be on a ventilator. Or not. But the truth is you nothing about it. You don't know if he is. You don't know if he will be. Yet you claim to be certain he is.

To put it frank, the only thing certain is that you know nothing.

• Like 2