Thai Military battling to regain public trust after grave missteps

webfact

The military have proved themselves totally inept at running the country.....the economy was in ruins before the virus and the series of inane, bigoted and racist policies introduced during the crisis have shown them in an even worse light.

Military minds are different than ordinary minds....in a democracy it is necessary to persuade people to follow your lead....Prayut, Prawit etc are locked in the military mindset of S44 of ordering people to do things without any regard to the law or the consequences. 

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Well at least they are thinking ahead.....they know they are going to

have a rescue vessel following the Subs about ????

regards Worgeordie

I don't know if it's for sale or rent but the one in the pic looks ideaI!   And if they put lifting eyes on the subs that will make retrieve expeditious.

2019-05-23T131029Z_1702347808_RC1C8D3B0DB0_RTRMADP_3_SEMBCORP-MARINE-VESSEL-768x577 (1).jpg

Edited by Grumpy John
Smelling
  • Haha 1

The army is in control of Thailand right? Therefore the army must accept responsibilty for Thailand. Next thing they will be proposing is that the Thai army must be expanded from 350,000 men to 700,000 men to cope. Then they can justify the 1400 generals they got. By the way has the Laos navy attcked Thailand yet ?Lol lol lol oops the Mekong River is nearly dry thanks to the Chinese building so many dams on it. No need for those outdated subs then

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BobbyL said:

Precisely this. The Thai Military aren't like we know in the west. They aren't an army that is protecting the nation. They're a business (use that term very lightly) that has its fingers in many establishment right to the very top and uses its power to control the population, sometimes through force. 

I really hope the Thai people will begin to see through this whole charade. Apirat referred to the military as 'sacred' recently. There is absolutely nothing sacred about it and his father's behaviour should tell us all we need to know about his possible plans. 

Kind of like communism 

4 hours ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Hopefully the upcoming epic crash for Thailand will get rid of the Junta.

One would hope so, but how is a Junta replaced? Does the monarchy politely ask them to leave or do we wait for the Bangkok students to kick off? I mean an election is hardly a trustworthy way to decide, as seen in many dictatorships aka full control, as described when 100% rule was given in 2015

5 hours ago, Venom said:

There are literally thousands of these pretend "wildfires" raging throughout the country started by the locals burning the fields and everything else in sight. But I do  trust the military government to do absolutely nothing but continue subjecting tens of millions of their countrymen to horrendous levels of air pollution. 

Well, you really expect way too much from them. After all, they are having both hands full with their "battling to regain public trust" as well as figuring out which piece of unnecessary military hardware must be purchased next and who gets how much "commission". There simply are no capacities to actually handle important issues.

5 hours ago, Venom said:

There are literally thousands of these pretend "wildfires" raging throughout the country started by the locals burning the fields and everything else in sight. But I do  trust the military government to do absolutely nothing but continue subjecting tens of millions of their countrymen to horrendous levels of air pollution. 

Pretend wildfires, Wow.  The air pollution has always been a subject of concern, and your right no one enforces the burning.  Bit a pretend wildfire just killed a mother who was trying to save the village.  But then she must be another one of those fake bodies conspiracy theorists are going on an on about.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Walter Travolta said:

One would hope so, but how is a Junta replaced? Does the monarchy politely ask them to leave or do we wait for the Bangkok students to kick off? I mean an election is hardly a trustworthy way to decide, as seen in many dictatorships aka full control, as described when 100% rule was given in 2015

Your right and its been about 90 years of rotating military rule with the central power never really changing except slightly under Taksin.  Faint hope the plague may disrupt power bases throughout Asia - faint.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Walter Travolta said:

With the idle hands about to exist due to the economic depression that is on the horizon, there is quite a bit for those in power to be concerned about.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Your right and its been about 90 years of rotating military rule with the central power never really changing except slightly under Taksin.  Faint hope the plague may disrupt power bases throughout Asia - faint.

Yeah I get the impression the natives prefer the military out of the picture but in the years I have been coming here (less than 10) even I have noticed a decline in quite a few things, service and smiles being examples, add to that the exchange rates (not a Thai fault) and the way farangs are disliked (a Thai fault). Even 7eleven staff used to be polite and smile, now they are like the pakistani shop keeper in the UK who lobs your change in your hand cos he doesnt want to make contact! I wouldnt mind, Im the one who uses toilet paper!!! STRONG toilet paper I should add ????

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

If this "Army" could return the money that belongs to the people?
and also if this "Army" could return to its place, so give power back to civilians?

Giving power to civilians would be worse than the current situation. Civilians are grossly ignorant. Military, at least, has SOME contact with political reality.

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

To regain, one must first have gained.  I doubt that happened.  The Thai people literally had no real choice.  And why is the term military still being used?  Didn't they have some sort of elections, or are they admitting it is NOT a civilian and properly elected government?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Walter Travolta said:

Yeah I get the impression the natives prefer the military out of the picture but in the years I have been coming here (less than 10) even I have noticed a decline in quite a few things, service and smiles being examples, add to that the exchange rates (not a Thai fault) and the way farangs are disliked (a Thai fault). Even 7eleven staff used to be polite and smile, now they are like the pakistani shop keeper in the UK who lobs your change in your hand cos he doesnt want to make contact! I wouldnt mind, Im the one who uses toilet paper!!! STRONG toilet paper I should add ????

Damn, I have to agree with your sentiments and observations.  My first visit was in 2004.  Country is vastly different now

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Walter Travolta said:

LOS now means Land of Smog, the smiles are certainly gone in the big cities.  Most people are working very long hours on a perpetual debt cycle while a tiny percentage, unmovable in power, own everything.  When that happens the powers that be use external issues like foreigners, Cambodia etc.. to divert public attention.  Magicians call it misdirection.    

5 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Damn, I have to agree with your sentiments and observations.  My first visit was in 2004.  Country is vastly different now

As is almost every country.

The governments of every country are becoming more oppressive, and all the governments are demonising foreigners.

I don't know of any country in the world that is a better place to live now in 2020 than it was in 2004.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Jimbo2014 said:

LOS now means Land of Smog, the smiles are certainly gone in the big cities.  Most people are working very long hours on a perpetual debt cycle while a tiny percentage, unmovable in power, own everything.  When that happens the powers that be use external issues like foreigners, Cambodia etc.. to divert public attention.  Magicians call it misdirection.    

Prices and quality of life has not improved for millions of Thais.  In the past, they may not have had much money but they could still live and somewhat do a village type life even in the bigger cities like Korat, Pattaya, etc.  Now all the big malls, Terminals, etc.  That won't work for the lower economic class Thais.  Sure some will get janitor or housekeeper jobs in those places, but that won't pay for much.   Just not as quiet a place as it was.  Damn I wish I had gone in the 90s.  I just had no idea and was financially stupid for a handful of years.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

As is almost every country.

The governments of every country are becoming more oppressive, and all the governments are demonising foreigners.

I don't know of any country in the world that is a better place to live now in 2020 than it was in 2004.

At this point in Time I would have to agree with you. However, in California the government treats the illegal aliens with more services and gives them free medical versus a Citizen who pays taxes.  No go figure that one out for me, leaves me perplexed....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/6/2020 at 11:03 AM, Assurancetourix said:

It is good to write it; it would be better to put it into practice ..
What is weird is that in real democracies, the people generally have a very good opinion of their army ...

Why is it the opposite in Thailand? 

Because they are good for nothing ? Except talk !