BANGKOK
webfact

Governors put on alert for tougher measures to contain Covid-19

Well at least something's getting back to normal:  the Baht has begun to rise again...

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Thailand said:

The biting of the bum has started. Bound to happen, the military govt can no longer continue to justify their manufactured figures. These extreme measures pretty much confirm that it is going to get much worse.

Agree,with the paltry amount of testing,figures must be higher,deaths can be struck off as something else,look at the road deaths,not counted if you die later in hospital,they have to get serious here,everything should close except for food shops ,pharmacies and essential services,sure a lot of people will go broke,but money ain,t much good if your dead.

• Like 1

Troll posts and replies have been removed. 

And to think people thought European countries slow to react.First confirmed case outside China was Thailand in January.Thats how long the head been buried in sand.My Thai g/f father been going more funerals than usual.They just laugh and say didn't die from covid 19 as they party for 3 days with a hundred people.Totally missing the point of how it spreads.

• Sad 1

I can't vouch for how accurate this is, but a family friend who works for the South Korea Embassy in BKK said they got the memo saying that the BKK 24hr Curfew will be 12-17 April if plans don't change.

• Sad 1

It says Saturday (April 5th) but Saturday was the 4th

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

That's a valid point social distancing doesn't mean lockdown it means avoid close contact.

A great many jobs require that employees be in close contact with each other, and/or with customers to complete production or transactions for their products. So I have to disagree with you. Effective social distancing does require the closing of at least a majority of businesses. 

Posted (edited)

I love these "sock it to me harder, boss" posts. May I suggest that instead of bleating fruitlessly on ThaiVisa, you all sign a petition to the Thai government pleading for a 24 hour curfew and Martial law.

Oh, and while you're about it, lobby for mandatory vaccination of the entire population when Bill and Melinda deliver the goods.

Jeez!

Edited by Krataiboy

5 hours ago, Yadon Toploy said:

This was told to us yesterday direct from Thai authorities too. 

Are all forms of delivery also to be shutdown? ... This kind of thinking is truly a post apocalyptic view. The instructions for personal hygiene and social distancing, combined with a wide range of operating hours for sales of essential goods and services, is the right level of caution to mitigate against spread of the virus. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mattd said:

Yes, this was the one I meant, there are normally two in the car park area, I forgot about the front entrance, as always drive to there, as do most, when I got there about 9am there were about 30 people waiting for it to open, all at the entrance! I declined and went to Villa little walk instead.

I hope you didn't fill up your cart at Villa's prices! 😲 They're good for "hard to find" western items; but very expensive for items that can be bought elsewhere. 

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Every shop has a manager, it's easy to stop panic buying by restricting amounts of certain items people can buy! 

Signs at those shelf positions clearly stating what each person is allowed to buy.

A check point before the check-out making sure these are followed, items returned to the shelf if required.

That's what is done at Makro. Signs are posted on the shelves. Cashiers are aware of the limits, and will not ring up items over the limit. 

5 hours ago, shackleton said:

Cant see a full lock down coming up should go the same way as the UK

You have to have a good reason for being out ie shopping ,working. Travelling ,Go to the bank and here especially Immigration for what ever reason

Something like 8am to 8pm 

Can you please explain to me how such a "conditional" lockdown can be enforced? What is to prevent a person driving or walking along from lying to the official asking the question? How could the official possibly know whether or not the person was telling the truth? Is someone going to be assigned to follow everyone to their 'stated destination' to verify it? All the government of any free country can do is publish a strongly recommended curfew; and ask that all the good people of the community comply with it. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Really? 2,169 cases in a country with 69 million people in 77 provinces. Where is the emergency? Please tell us! 

Lack of testing means we have NO IDEA how many cases there are in Thailand! 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, patsfangr said:

Can you please explain to me how such a "conditional" lockdown can be enforced? What is to prevent a person driving or walking along from lying to the official asking the question? How could the official possibly know whether or not the person was telling the truth? Is someone going to be assigned to follow everyone to their 'stated destination' to verify it? All the government of any free country can do is publish a strongly recommended curfew; and ask that all the good people of the community comply with it. 

In Wuhan the military welded-shut the doors of apartment buildings and houses and turned firehoses onto, or beat, anyone seen on the streets. "Free countries" are the ones where the virus is rampant, unfortunately.

Edited by robsamui
  • Sad 1