Governors put on alert for tougher measures to contain Covid-19

webfact

1 minute ago, Allset said:

I don’t understand this article says there’s already a curfew so I’m guessing that’s just Bangkok or Pattaya because up here there’s no curfew nor have I heard of one anywhere else except here. 

Nationwide curfew in place 22.00hrs to 04.00hrs 

Some provinces have imposed stricter ones.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mattd said:

The biggest issue is cost, we paid in the region of 6,000 Baht per person, your average Thai simply cannot afford this.

Exactly. It's too prohibitive.

The other issue is that there aren't enough labs producing the test results. If you're churning out a constant number of results every day then its no surprise the numbers are flat.

However this doesn't explain the very low death count.

3 minutes ago, Allset said:

And others haven’t imposed it at all like where I live. 

Negative, Nationwide it is 22.00 to 04.00, this is for ALL provinces, whether they enforce is a different matter.

• Like 2

Just now, Mattd said:

Negative, Nationwide it is 22.00 to 04.00, this is for ALL provinces, whether they enforce is a different matter.

Ok well I guess the delivery guys and restaurants didn’t get the memo here then. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Exactly. It's too prohibitive.

The other issue is that there aren't enough labs producing the test results. If you're churning out a constant number of results every day then its no surprise the numbers are flat.

However this doesn't explain the very low death count.

For the testing we had done, the results took about 48 hours to get, due to the lack of labs, then this time is increasing.

The low death rate is puzzling compared to the ones seen in Europe / USA

9 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Actually, I disagree, I have no idea how the figures are collected or compiled, however I do know that a lot of people are getting tested.

I had cause to get 50 people tested very recently, this was not that easy to organise as all of the hospitals / laboratories are flat out testing, two weeks ago we had to get 6 guys tested as a precaution, our staff spent over 4 hours trying to find a hospital that could accommodate this, some of the bigger hospitals in BKK had several hundreds of people at each hospital waiting on site to be tested per day and were estimating an 8 hour wait at least, the swab tests take less than 3 minutes per person, later on that week we had 4 people go to one of the drive thru testing centres, again in BKK and there were hundreds there also.

Based on this, I would think that 25,000 is on the low side.

The biggest issue is cost, we paid in the region of 6,000 Baht per person, your average Thai simply cannot afford this.

States are testing almost 0.05% and Thailand has tested 0.0003 of their respective populations! Testing is imperative! Somewhat concerned on how this one turns out! I left there about 10 days ago, and returned to Canada. I will return when this blows over as I have a business there. Pray everyone stays well. Be safe!

2 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

i don't understand why all those measures are neccasary, when Thailand

coronavirus cases are not growing exponentialy and there are not many 

death cases.

The number of cases went from 1-2 cases every 2-3 days then jumped suddenly to around 100 a day so there must have been 1-2 days of exponential growth before resumption of the straight line giving Thailand the most unique looking graph in the world and hoping that nobody would find it strange or maybe they are not actually aware of the existence of graphs as they mostly do pie charts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, dlclark97 said:

In anticipation of further restrictions my wife and I went to Big C on Pattaya Kleang yesterday to stock up on a few necessities.

I tried to go to there on Saturday, unfortunately they have new opening hours, now opening at 10am, I also noticed that they have only the one entrance in use now.

IMHO that is counter productive to social distancing, as less opening hours simply means more people in the shop at any one time, reducing the entrance means everybody has to funnel through one point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

The worse is yet to come. Like them or not, we need to support whatever actions they deem necessary. Not too difficult to do.

I can support this statement. I think what all of us would have liked is the actual figures however bad they might be. It’s just not possible for Thailand to have such low numbers. I have just found a relative dead, the ambulance came and confirmed it and the temple told. No checks nothing. She died of old age but you would have thought that there should have been more to it. 

• Like 1

If the numbers presented to us are actually true, then thailand can be really satisfied and a 24 hour curfew would absolutely not be neccessary. A look at Europe or America shows that the infection rates and the number of deaths per hundred thousand inhabitants is incomparably higher than here in Thailand. In addition, the pandemic in south east asian countries has been managed very well to this day.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Which death count?The real one or the made up one?100 positive tests should yield 1 death approx. which seems to be about right.If someone is not tested for covid19 and they die of covid19 then they will not be counted as a covid19 death.

I can support that statement here, however, not in most of the rest of the world, a sudden death in the UK for example would be investigated and a cause of death ascertained, had that person been displaying signs of covid-19 and healthy prior, then it would be attributed to.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Titan1962 said:

It’s the only option the PM has,too many people still showing total disrespect for the current laws. I see normal housing extensions going on,I see bubble tea shops open,small none essential businesses still open

In my market town west from Bangkok you'd think life was normal during the day, market areas covered or street affairs all operating as normal.

No social distancing, just the usual free-for-all.

Shops appear open as normal apart from the designated ones, all doing business.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, wimpy said:

How do you know this? A good friend is a logistics officer in the Thai Marines. She told us yesterday that we should prepare for a total 24 hour lockdown. Stock up on food, drinking water, etc.

This was told to us yesterday direct from Thai authorities too. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Titan1962 said:

It’s the only option the PM has,too many people still showing total disrespect for the current laws. I see normal housing extensions going on,I see bubble tea shops open,small none essential businesses still open. They can’t contain the spread if people are just going about business as usual. I needed to go to a pharmacy the other day and was shocked at how many people are out and about,how many businesses still open I thought would be closed.

its going to be tough,but once again people have brought it upon themselves. Here in CM they already have prepared the emergency hospital at the convention center,so now it’s just getting the final plan in place with the army. Checkpoints,patrols,places to hold those caught breaking the curfew,working out how to allow people to get necessities.

I think it will be here within the next week or two.

Completing work myself (extensions) - construction is allowed to continue, even in a full lockdown.

A s usual the G always knows more than I do and never really says where she is getting it. Her family is in Chiang Rai  and in the middle of some land office proceedings, yadda yadda yadda. Her and her sister are saying the roads between Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai will be closed as of the 8th, for two weeks.  Is that a 24 hour curfew or just isolating provinces.

the_andromeda_strain_59-1024x576.png