24 Thais from abroad warned their names will be published if they do not contact the authorities

webfact

24 Thais from abroad warned their names will be published if they do not contact the authorities

Aitport-Covid-S.jpg

Authorities are threatening to reveal the names of 24 Thais, who arrived at Suvarnabhumi international airport on Friday and returned home to avoid state quarantine, if they do not report in by 6pm today.

Immigration police commissioner Pol Lt-Gen Sompong Chingduang warned that the defiant returnees will also face penalties under the Emergency Decree and the Infectious Disease Act, which include two years in prison and/or a fine of 40,000 baht.

A total of 158 Thai passengers arrived at the airport Friday evening.  Several of them protested at having to enter quarantine at state facilities, claiming that they were not informed in advance.  A commotion ensued until two military officers intervened and spoke to the passengers, who were subsequently allowed to leave the airport.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/24-thais-from-abroad-warned-their-names-will-be-published-if-they-do-not-contact-the-authorities/

thaipbs.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2020-04-06
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

It's just more of the same <deleted> reporting.  I did not believe for 1 second myself that they had all reported to police as put in the papers.  It's all about FACE.....nothing more.  This was a huge embarrassment for the government and statements made and actions taken after the fact are usually done to show strength.

I'd like to predict it was someone else's fault!

• Haha 1

I thought I read yesterday or Saturday that they had all come back... which would never have happened.

Some of the previous posts are accurate and pertinent. These people should be FORCED to come back.

I would say that for every day they don't, add one more week and 3 family members to the quarantine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, meechai said:

Any other self respecting country would have looked at the arrival lists

Seen who was missing...gone straight to their home

tagged them & bagged them if they were not compliant

Other countries enforce that people are registered where they are living.

In Thailand these laws exist, but aren't enforced at all, so many people don't live where they are registered and the authorities don't know where these people are staying.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2