Germany to buy 'unbelievable amount' of facemasks - TV

webfact

Germany to buy 'unbelievable amount' of facemasks - TV

2020-04-05T222613Z_2_LYNXMPEG340MM_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-MASKS-SCIENCE.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Masks are displayed at a general store, during the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), in the Kreuzberg district of Berlin, Germany, April 3, 2020. REUTERS/Michele Tantussi

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - Germany is ramping up efforts to purchase facemasks in an effort to contain the coronavirus, the country's vice chancellor, Olaf Scholz, told the Anne Will television show on Sunday.

"We need unbelievable amounts of masks. Our entire effort is to procure them. That is where we stand today," he told the programme which was broadcast on ZDF.

Germany's efforts to buy masks comes at a time when the United States has stepped up efforts to do the same, prompting complaints about the superpower's "Wild West" tactics in outbidding buyers who have already signed deals.

Scholz wants to bring production of important medical equipment back to Europe, a step that will make some of these goods more expensive but more accessible, he said.

Scholz further ruled out a cut in income taxes for Germans, given the need for the country to repay economic rescue packages designed to prop up the economy.

(Reporting by Edward Taylor; Editing by Daniel Wallis)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-04-06

I am amazed, here in Europe, when I go to the shops once a week for essential supplies, that so few people wear masks. It is actually insane when you consider the risk they are taking.

I am learning that, when a real crisis hits, a lot of people have trouble adapting to the new reality, and cling to the idea that it isn't really happening or, at least, does not need to be taken seriously. There seems to be a sort of pride in it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, donnacha said:

I am amazed, here in Europe, when I go to the shops once a week for essential supplies, that so few people wear masks. It is actually insane when you consider the risk they are taking.

I am learning that, when a real crisis hits, a lot of people have trouble adapting to the new reality, and cling to the idea that it isn't really happening or, at least, does not need to be taken seriously. There seems to be a sort of pride in it.

Did you see Trump say at a press conference that masks aren't necessary and he won't wear one? Many people hear that and listen. 

6 minutes ago, jadee said:

Did you see Trump say at a press conference that masks aren't necessary and he won't wear one? Many people hear that and listen. 

No, he never said masks are not necessary. Just the opposite.  From the press conference:

"The CDC is recommending that Americans wear a basic cloth or fabric mask that can be either purchased online or simply made at home, probably material that you’d have at home. These face coverings can be easily washed or reused. I want to emphasize that the CDC is not recommending the use of medical grade or surgical grade masks, and we want that to be used for our great medical people that are working so hard and doing some job. Medical protective gear must be reserved for the frontline healthcare workers who are performing those vital services"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, donnacha said:

It is compulsory in Austria to wear masks when shopping. And only necessary essential suppliers are open.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Why woud Trump go to so much trouble over a shipment of masks.?

He obviously is an unbeliever or is he just scared of ruffling his ?hair 

When you would have any understanding of how the US health service is organised, you could have known buying mask abroad is nothing for the US government, but for OR traders with demands from US hospital organisations of these organisations themselves. Health care in the US = BIG BUSINESS, at least... for those who can afford it.

• Like 1

Why any mask should not help ( a little) ? Even when I hold an A4-envelop between myself and any other, I create a barrier to fluid drops which might be infected. When this decreases teh risk of getting covid-19 with just 5 %, I am already happy. I am NOT asking for a 100% guarantee, I will not get it whatever contacts, but.. just a decrease of risk. So, I made something myself, being washed after every use outside. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, natway09 said:

Why woud Trump go to so much trouble over a shipment of masks.?

He obviously is an unbeliever or is he just scared of ruffling his ?hair 

Or when wearing a white mask, it will turn orange in the sides because of all the fake tan

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, JimmyTheMook said:

A covid19 carrier walks past you and sneezes in your face unexpectedly - would you have wanted an N95 facemask on ?

do these masks cover your eyes too? If someone sneezes in your face, only a face visor will protect you. If someone sneezes in my face, its a baseball bat i would want, or a shotgun !!

None of these masks can protect you from a Corona Virus which is only 0.12Micron wide. Medical, Surgical and N95 masks are intended for bacteria and particles of 0.3Micron and above. A cloth mask cannot even protect you much from PM2.5 air pollution. The water in droplets evaporates and particles such as viruses under 0.3micron can pass through. Tests show that a sneeze can propel particles with bacteria and virions up to 8.2Metres without a wind and more with a following wind. However, people feel more protected if everyone wears a mask at the moment. Out doors the weather is generally 30C and above with 80% humidity so that the virus will only survive a few hours outside of a host, quite different to Europe and North America where in New York the temperature is 10C to 19C. Under those conditions the virus can survive for up to 28 days The main problem here is in shopping malls, offices, boxing stadiums and large entertainment buildings, with centralised airconditioning systems that drop the temperature and circulate the air. Under those conditions it can survive outside a host for up to a week. It was the right decision to shut down the shopping malls therefore. If you want to make a mask that works for COVID-19, search for 0.1Micron precision textiles like we use in filtration systems.

Masks won't block the virus, however they will block droplets of water loaded with the virus, droplets such as those produced by coughing and sneezing. So a mask is of use, even more so if combined with a plastic face screen.

7 hours ago, JimmyTheMook said:

A covid19 carrier walks past you and sneezes in your face unexpectedly - would you have wanted an N95 facemask on ?

Never ever happened in my life that someone sneezes in my face.

EVER!

What nonsense.