BANGKOK
olfu

How to retire in USA being citizen.

Do you know any place on the globe where you don't have to sleep under the bridge even you have zero money to live?

Please let me know in order to move to that place. 

"How much money do you need?"

It depends on how many 6 packs you consume a day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You can live off that sure in many places.

California, New York mostly not.

Las Vegas/Nevada, Arizona, on and on and many other places with warm weather yes.

If you are still working into your 60's in corporate America, then you have probably earned 4 to 6 weeks of annual vacation and a couple weeks of sick leave.

This is plenty of time to have fun.

Most I know took social security at 62 and continue to work full time.

My ex has a $60,000 after tax income in NJ and cannot make ends meet....she has no mortgage or car to pay for either so I think $3000 monthly income is way too little.

I retired in California at the age of 53, and thanks to many investments throughout my adult years, I managed to put 3 kids through the University Systems, paying as they went so that they never ended up with Debt.  Luckily, I also have a defined benefit pension, and have been fortunate to not live under a bridge, or become homeless.  With the State of California being run into the ground, I moved to Thailand permanently.  I consider myself to be fairly fortunate. If I were to try and live in the US, and based upon income, States such as Ohio, Tennessee, Arizona, Texas, and even Florida would be very doable to sustain the life I live.....However, I have no intention of moving back to the US.

• Like 1

I retired at 46 ,31yrs ago, and make more doing nothing .

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, rumak said:

I lived for many years in a small town in Texas.   Nice weather and pretty nice people.

Might even consider going back.  BUT       health care costs will KILL me.  

Those of you ( americans)  that have average savings will never make it ( except veterans or those very few who have health insurance and can afford a lot of co pays. )

Read up on it......   or ask Sheryl  ( she knows that medicare and other plans leave a lot of money to be desired)     

So,  back to plan one.   Thailand  

Note:  I am almost 70 and have had hardly any health costs over the years.  But, one mishap

or diagnosis and the States will take all i have.

yes, weather was nice.  southwest texas had mild winters, used a gas heater a couple weeks in january, mild summers as well.  swamp cooler effective, cheaper than ac.

if you have v.a. benefits, there is a good selection of hospitals and clinics.  not much work available outside the big cities, so you have to be retired or work online if you need to make a living.

i might consider moving back some day, but then i'd want some land to build my end-of-days bunker.  i like cactus and tumbleweeds, wouldn't mind building a cabin on a square mile of scrubland. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

texas, new mexico, arizona.   buy a house in a small town for $25k.

in texas, no state income tax, homestead exemptions to limit property taxes.

"buy a house" for @25k????   Get serious.

1 minute ago, TGIR said:

"buy a house" for @25k????   Get serious.

yes.  serious.  many small towns losing population.  kids head to the big cities for school or career, don't come back.  many houses empty.  expect more to pop up when the full effects of the oil bust are felt.

i bought mine in 2000 for $10k.  small house, 10 years old, 900 sq.ft, in good shape.  i know of two for sale now for $20k.  checked a few websites last night, cause why not, found 250 acres and a cabin (probably a dump) with well and electric for 100k.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Sisters brother in-law just bought 40 acres and a nice house in Jackson, Tennessee for $110,000.  Paid cash and is building a large barn on it.  Cheap to live back there, gas and food are cheap....

Edited by ThailandRyan