Should Expats carry their passports

banglay

20 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Passport only for travelling, hotel and or immigration office, albeit it that I keep copies of the relevant pages in my iPhone and wallet.

And the bank, they seem to want it for anything there too ...... heck, chuck it in the glovebox, with the face-masks and hand sanitizer.... 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Haha 2

I usually just take a paper copy of the bio page and keep it in my wallet. That was before this covid19.

Im not going far enough any way to warrant taking my passport with me.

The wife does all the shopping.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cooked said:

As far as I know, it STILL is an obligation for non-Thais to carry their passports at all times. 

People have been held until their passport could be produced. Now? I certainly don't leave home without my passport.

Wrong.

As you are every time you repeat it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

During any further restrictions that may be applied by government I feel the most important document worth carrying would be prove of where in Thailand you reside, as any checkpoints will be mainly to restrict travel especially from/ to another province. Thai driving license/ pink ID card or hotel/ guesthouse receipt.

Only a grade A fool.....Carries their passport with them at all times.....

To replace a lost passport now would be a nightmare of the highest order... 

If a copy is not good enough and the Police want to see my passport they can come to my room to see it....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, david555 said:

All the ones defending not carry passports  where right before in normal circumstances , as i did to with a complete copy page by page (only 4) of my passport .

However now I take passport with me, as I don't wish to end up in police cell ,if meeting some very strict police ones in this lockdown , as before not pleasant even until someone bring the passport , but now I would not like to be closed in with all kind of arrested ones … even not for a very short period because corona contagion risk

And anyway the trip outside is now not to bar , but just to Tesco/Big C  so less risk to loose it or get stolen in daytime …..no night crawling anymore allowed !

Are the police going to replace your passport if you lose it?....lol

Be smart don't give yourself the opportunity to lose your passport...Keep it at home...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Are the police going to replace your passport if you lose it?....lol

Be smart don't give yourself the opportunity to lose your passport...Keep it at home...

I know what you mean , but from two evils I take the most close one to avoid , limited going out now, just food shopping 10 minutes walk  , and by all I am not yet in the dementia stage (yet) , before lockdown I never carry it unless bank or official need , always using complete copy and drivers license 

different times now , and more to come I think