Should Expats carry their passports

banglay

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

He didn't mention visas, banks, targeting of farangs, victimism, etc. neither was he "scaremongering", he simply asked a question/made a reasonable suggestion.

Too simple minded; dig deeper. The "question" and suggestion were based on a paranoid assumption without any factual basis. It is that all farang are seen as "threats" (no evidence of that) but that expats and residents can be seen merely as "less of a threat"--for some unspecified reason, no evidence again--than noobs or tourists. Huh? Being stamped in earlier would hardly reduce any "threat level" in the minds of those "persecuting" authorities treating farang SO badly. But hey--you carry that passport at all times if it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy. 

And he didn't mention visas, banks, targeting of farangs, victimism, etc. YET, but also needn't give such inspiration and encouragement to those currently trying to stir the pot in whatever areas their fertile little imaginations can dream up, including those. Indeed, one of our professional victims has shown up in the thread already.

Call it a preemptive request.

53 minutes ago, CM Dad said:

Why do so many who post on TV seem to want to create unneeded hysteria and spread rumors?

On 3/5/2020 at 8:13 AM, Thaiwrath said:

7 hours ago, cooked said:

As far as I know, it STILL is an obligation for non-Thais to carry their passports at all times. 

People have been held until their passport could be produced. Now? I certainly don't leave home without my passport.

Never have. Never will. Too risky!! It has been discussed on here many times. A copy is sufficient according to the law. Every year I get a new credit card size copy of main page and visa extension on the reverse, in a nice sealed plastic holder. Even used it in hotels (not Bangkok hotels) and on various checks!????????????????????????????????

• Confused 1

As far as I know, it STILL is an obligation for non-Thais to carry their passports at all times. 

People have been held until their passport could be produced. Now? I certainly don't leave home without my passport.

Copy of bio page suffice??

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

If your passport is requested, you are to produce it within a reasonable time, NOT on the spot.

It is not necessary to carry it with you at all times, nor in my opinion is it wise to do so as it is a valuable and important document.

Personally I have a scaled copy laminated in my wallet and I can produce the original when and if asked to do so.

ID wise I carry my Pink ID card.

There is a lot of wrong and perpetuated myth about this and I am surprised this has been raised yet again. Yes I understand that these are different times, and may be you may wish to prove how long you have been in the country, but again, that can be done with copies or good images held on your phone and the original available on a reasonable request to produce it, on the spot, is not reasonable for an original document.

I just said exactly the same!! ☺☺☺☺????????????????

44 minutes ago, cooked said:

Pardon? So why do people get arrested for not having their passport? 

People don't get arrested. There have been VERY rare occasions of foreigners being detained at a police station while someone goes to get their passport. 

As you are so cock-sure you will no doubt post the appropriate link to the Thailand Civil and Commercial Code that contains this legal requirement.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

How many times have you been asked for it in say the last year? just out and about not immigration or agents

Twice in the last 6 months - walking down a major street in Bangkok - frisked and searched.  1st Time had passport (just got to town).  2nd time had work-permit and color copy of passport face-pages and latest-extension pages.  Let go, in both instances, only after every item and bit of lint in my pockets and my bag had been checked, to see if they could find something that meant "payday" for them.  No such luck, so they went looking for another potential-victim.  In both cases, dressed decently - not in a "wife-beater" shirt, no tattos, etc.

15 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Twice in the last 6 months - walking down a major street in Bangkok - frisked and searched.  1st Time had passport (just got to town).  2nd time had work-permit and color copy of passport face-pages and latest-extension pages.  Let go, in both instances, only after every item and bit of lint in my pockets and my bag had been checked, to see if they could find something that meant "payday" for them.  No such luck, so they went looking for another potential-victim.  In both cases, dressed decently - not in a "wife-beater" shirt, no tattos, etc.

Bangkok must have a different breed of police. In ten years in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai, the most I have ever had to produce is a Thai driving licence. I have never been asked for my passport, or searched.

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Bangkok must have a different breed of police. In ten years in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai, the most I have ever had to produce is a Thai driving licence. I have never been asked for my passport, or searched.

They are just "fishing".  If I had some illegal pills or something - PayDay!!  Whooo Hoooo!!!  But I am a bad-tasting fish - never have anything interesting, and never will.

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

No. A passport is a document that is very hard to replace, particularly under COVID-19 conditions. Lose it or have it stolen, you are in a world of bother.

I carry paper copies of the relevant pages of my passport, plus images on my smartphone. That is all one is legally obliged to do. Any official apart from Immigration says different, they are looking for a bribe.

You are wrong. 

The law requires you to carry your passport. 

This was a topic about four years ago when, although law, a top government official decreed it acceptable to carry a copy of the relavent pages. 

The law was not changed. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Alidiver said:

You are wrong. 

This was a topic about four years ago when, although law, a top government official decreed it acceptable to carry a copy of the relavent pages. 

The law was not changed. 

As I said to another poster, show me the regulation, or shut up.

• Like 2

My advice is to carry it - there's a risk, the last time I was caught was 9 years ago (starting with a casual conversation outside a 7-11 before the <deleted> said he was a policeman and his friend turned up to haul two of us away. Fortunately I had my passport, but my buddy was in a cell for 4 hours until we could get his girlfriend to go home, pick up his passport and go get him released.

It's not a normal thing, but in this country things can rapidly get murky.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Absolute Tosh.....it was stated a couple of years ago by a high rank official in Bangkok that we DO NOT need to carry passports, but do need to produce them within a reasonable time frame. Sorry I cannot remember the name of the official, but a quick search of Thaivisa should bring it up. I carry a copy of all relevant pages, and this has been accepted several times.

I recall showing the news article to a friend [I can no longer find that article online]/

The Article includes a ‘high ranking official in Bangkok' announcing that we do not need to carry passports. 

My friend, an Immigration Pol Colonel. 

My friends response - he’s was that the Senior Immigration Office (I forget his specific position) was no longer in that position, it doesn’t matter what he said, its up to the new guy! 

Senior Immigration officials in other provinces have announced that foreigners do need to carry their passports. 

So, the debate is ongoing and the answer is never simple: Ultimately it will come down to the individual Policeman. 

It comes down to personal choice as to whether or not we carry our  passport. I never have unless travelling outside the province (i.e. Bangkok to Hua Hin for a weekend etc)

I do carry my Thai Driving Licence, a Thai (Pink) ID Card and keep a Photo of my Passport ID Page and Visa Page on my phone. 

If the worst comes to the worst I have a ‘phone a friend’ option. 

I have twice been asked for my passport. About 12 or so years ago while in a taxi in a dark sub-soi at about 3am by what I suspected were ‘dodgy’ police riding pillion on motorcycle - I was firm and sad no. Fortunately they didn’t press the issue. 

Another time, about 5 years ago, in a taxi (at Asoke, coming from Queen Sirikit turning left up sukhumvit), at about 7pm. The BiB stopped the Taxi, asked my Passport, I showed them my Thai Driving Licence. They told me to get out. I refused. This area has been known as being a notorious place for a shake down (urine test etc), I had nothing to worry about, I just didn’t want to play ball - I chose the ‘phone a friend’ option and was waved along. 

I think on Asoke, even with a passport they’ve have wasted my time and made me do urine tests etc (it was 7pm I was going out, I hadn’t even had a beer by then !).

------

So... As always, each area, each situation the requirements change, no one really knows, the BiB don’t really know. 

If you want to carry your passport do so. If you have Thai ID thats likely to be enough, but you never know. 

I’ve been stopped by the BiB about 3 times in the past 15 years or so - so its not really a big deal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Lacessit said:
12 minutes ago, Alidiver said:

You are wrong. 

The law was not changed. 

As I said to another poster, show me the regulation, or shut up.

I think the issue there is... Are you going to turn round to a Policeman and say “Show me the regulation, or shut up?”.... 

As much as we would love to have clear un-muddied regulations to abide by and also use to protect us in such situations Thailand does not work like that. It's sometimes easier to comply or at least make efforts to compromise. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Which area were you in? 

I hope its not the Thonglor clowns at it again? - at one point a number of years ago the complaints of Police Stopping innocent pedestrians were very common, such that it made national headlines. 

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think the issue there is... Are you going to turn round to a Policeman and say “Show me the regulation, or shut up?”.... 

As much as we would love to have clear un-muddied regulations to abide by and also use to protect us in such situations Thailand does not work like that. It's sometimes easier to comply or at least make efforts to compromise. 

On the basis of the "phone a friend" post, I would probably let my Thai GF loose on said policeman.

Mess with her at your peril.

However, as I have said previously, the most I have had to produce is a Thai DL. Another reason to avoid Bangkok.

8 hours ago, cooked said:

There's no law saying you have to carry your passport 24/7. That's why many expats uses a credit card sized laminated copy of the bio-page in the passport + the latest extension on the other side. Pictures in the smart phone is another option. The police knows a passport is considered a valuable. 

"Pol Col Voravat Amornvivat told Thaivisa that he wanted to reassure the expat community. "Making all foreigners in Thailand carry their original passports with them would be very difficult," he said. "It's about being reasonable and using common sense."

• Like 1

The alien identification law clearly states that foreigners must carry their passports at all times. Personally I don't, but readers should be in no doubt that the law, dating back more than 50 years, could be used against you if the authorities choose to exercise it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Surely avoid travelling is the best and in fact, the official advice.

I use my bicycle, for daily shopping,   too date never been stopped ...

Edited by elliss
  • Like 1

I was going to do some research on the subject if remember 

correctly the law states required to carry.... but if you mail your

passport to Bangkok to renew the shoe doesn’t fit... 

I’ve lived in Asia full time (China/Thailand) 12 years. Only once was

i asked for my passport by a police person walking a beat .. and i

just said how’s day being friendly showing all people hate police..

The police officer asked to see my passport didn’t have it.. and 

got a friendly lecture and on my way...

i never carry my passport (in a leather case) because it damages

it. US you can get a Passport Card (extra fee) like drivers license 

with all the information as on passport valid only US ..

If you concerned make a copy... carrying your passport not the best idea... 

enjoy the evening..

E6797332-FB15-4C8F-877B-A5DD537A03C6.jpeg

Edited by DJ54
Wrong picture
  • Like 1

This is what Chief Col Kathathorn Kumthieng of Phuket Immigration had to say on this topic back in 2018. This was posted on the forum at the time and to my knowledge, the law has not changed since.

I never carried my passport unless I know I'm going to need it.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/no-passport-required-phuket-immigration-confirms-passport-on-person-not-required-despite-operation-x-ray-outlaw-foreigner-69367.php

Edited by Moonlover

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

"Pol Col Voravat Amornvivat told Thaivisa that he wanted to reassure the expat community. "Making all foreigners in Thailand carry their original passports with them would be very difficult," he said. "It's about being reasonable and using common sense."

It would be great if every one in Thailand (and elsewhere) carried out their duties wit the same level heade common sense approach. 

That said, reassurance, while nice is not a lasting regulation - When was this? (I recall it was about 5 years or so ago). Someone else is now the boss.

Additionally the chief cheese in a number of provinces have made announcements that Passports must be carried, while in other provinces the official approach seems more relaxed.

I don’t carry my passport - It would be nice to have a link on our phone to the announcement or reassurance that we don’t need to carry our passport.

Edited by richard_smith237

1 hour ago, elliss said:

I use my bicycle, for daily shopping,   too date never been stopped ...

Thai police , not like stop cheap charlie faralang , on bicycle ..

No money ..

Edited by elliss
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Which area were you in? 

I hope its not the Thonglor clowns at it again? - at one point a number of years ago the complaints of Police Stopping innocent pedestrians were very common, such that it made national headlines.

Cannot say where I am - tend to avoid overpriced areas like that, though. 

I read about Thonglor again a couple months back - they tried to extort some guy for "no passport" - took him to jail over that "offense," then wanted like 100K Baht, even after he passed the drug-test.  This was a Thai-FB report by his gf - I don't know if it made the news - and I don't know what if any ID (copies, etc) he had or did not have.  It was reported that someone was sent to "an inactive post" when that extortion-scheme blew-up.  My wife doesn't want me going to that area for any reason, after reading about that.  Not a "party" guy, and just skip visiting restaurants in that zone.