Should Expats carry their passports

banglay

8 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

My car has been broken into.....  so you can't say that again. 

Mine has aswell, but that was my own fault. Left it open believing all would be fine in thailand "as car break ins dont happen " when i returned i was missing a tomtom.????

33 minutes ago, jimmjam said:

Mine has aswell, but that was my own fault. Left it open believing all would be fine in thailand "as car break ins dont happen " when i returned i was missing a tomtom.????

If you left it open, then it wasn't 'broken' into. Mine they broke a back window. Nothing valuable visible. I left my bike parked in the same place and got the back-box levered open! 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

If you left it open, then it wasn't 'broken' into. Mine they broke a back window. Nothing valuable visible. I left my bike parked in the same place and got the back-box levered open! 

True, still theft anyway. Which i didnt think happened here many moons ago.

2 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

checkpoints where ? I drove 500 kms without seeing even 1 !

It's really not recommended and dangerous driving with your eyes closed lol ..

• Haha 1

On 4/6/2020 at 8:55 AM, david555 said:

i guess more  they would invite you to THEIR (crowded) room  until some one bring your passport  ….????

Utter nonsense Thaivisa have covered this sooooo many times and even got the statement from the Chief Immigration officer previously

You have "reasonable" time to produce said document to the relevant Police station as required

Nobody but nobody carries their passport for very obvious reasons

Edited by Chivas

2 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Utter nonsense Thaivisa have covered this sooooo many times and even got the statement from the Chief Immigration officer previously

You have "reasonable" time to produce said document to the relevant Police station as required

Nobody but nobody carries their passport for very obvious reasons

"You have "reasonable" time to produce said document to the relevant Police station as required"

But mean time you will be their guest.....feel free to do like as  before not carrying it ???? , as I did too , but not under this circumstances

Different times are here now , so all the before statements could be overruled .

But feel free not to follow this" utter nonsense " ????

From the thread running in the news forum:

"People will need to have their documentation and IDs in order and some, particularly employees working in Pattaya will be urged to make special ID cards. Foreigners should carry their passports with them."

34 minutes ago, Leaver said:

From the thread running in the news forum:

"People will need to have their documentation and IDs in order and some, particularly employees working in Pattaya will be urged to make special ID cards. Foreigners should carry their passports with them."

Sir I dont care if Moses rises from the dead and makes carrying your passport the 11th commandment.......I will not be carrying my passport around EVER 100% Never...

Not yesterday

Not today

Not tomorrow

Not in one year

Not in one decade

Not in one Century

Not Ever   

Edited by fforest1

7 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

Sir I dont care if Moses rises from the dead and make carrying your passport the 11th commandment.......I will not be carrying my passport around EVER 100% Never...

Not yesterday

Not today

Not tomorrow

Not in one year

Not in one decade

Not in one Century

Not Ever   

I understand, but in not carrying your passport, you are making yourself an easy target for extortion, and I am sure there are many BiB around that need the money right now.  

From the Governor of Chonburi Province today :-

Foreigners will need to have their original passport at all checkpoints and Thais will need their ID card. Temperature checks will take place at every checkpoint, if anyone tests high they will be required to go to a hospital immediately.

People are also required to wear face masks when in public.

1 hour ago, banglay said:

From the Governor of Chonburi Province today :-

Foreigners will need to have their original passport at all checkpoints and Thais will need their ID card. Temperature checks will take place at every checkpoint, if anyone tests high they will be required to go to a hospital immediately.

People are also required to wear face masks when in public.

You need to post a link otherwise it's just unconfirmed like all the other news articles around

17 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Sir I dont care if Moses rises from the dead and makes carrying your passport the 11th commandment.......I will not be carrying my passport around EVER 100% Never...

Never say never. You will need it at some point. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, banglay said:

Foreigners will need to have their original passport at all checkpoints and Thais will need their ID card.

This NEW regulation, applicable only at checkpoints (a point carefully ignored by our TVF Passport Truthers and pot stirrers), doesn't support your original distinction of residents vs tourists, however, as it applies to ALL foreigners. It suggests no advantages conferred by date of entry to the Kingdom. It also applies to Thais (ID cards), hence we can drop the paranoia.

For most of us, this makes no difference. If we're leaving our beloved cesspool, or returning to its idyllic shores, chances are that we'd be carrying our passports anyway, anticipating some use. If we're not going thru any of the checkpoints for entering/leaving Pattaya, however, we still don't need to carry passports. You may console yourself with the new regulation that wearing masks is now required everywhere. Wear your mask.

What they're really interested in for the purpose of the lockdown is not so much your passport as whether you're in fact resident in Pattaya.

That point in the new reg has been ignored here as well. But, your passport just ain't telling. "Oh, it's linked to the Immigration database!" Dream on. Them cops want you to show some proof of address.

That's where the Thai DL or pink card come in handy, which all the cool people carry around anyway. Otherwise, you'll need to come up with something. Utility bill, perhaps. Whatever you use for extension renewal at Immigration should do.

Edited by BigStar

I am going to close this topic up because it is now largely academic

Expats, tourists and all other foreigners have been instructed to have their original passports with them whilst travelling around Pattaya and neighboring districts from Thursday April 9 to, provisionally, the end of the month.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1