Jump to content
BANGKOK
ThaivisaSales

Expat Health insurance Thailand and OA visa holders

Recommended Posts

Expat Health insurance Thailand and OA visa holders

 

Screenshot 2020-04-06 at 10.52.20.png

 

Since October 31, 2019, the conditions for obtaining an OA visa also require minimum Private health insurance in Thailand

 

What is an OA visa?

 

Visa for foreigners aged 50 and over who wish to stay in Thailand for a year or more. The visa is issued for a maximum of 12 months. Then each year, as long as the conditions of eligibility are maintained, the holder can renew his visa.

To obtain this visa, it is also necessary to prove a minimum medical coverage of THB 400,000 for inpatient treatments, and THB 40,000 for outpatient treatments.

When applying for a visa, you must present an insurance certificate attesting to the conditions of medical cover required by law. A copy of the original full insurance policy may also be requested.

 

How to get this insurance certificate?

 

→Certificate provided by several Thai insurers that provide a compliant insurance (https://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa)

Those Thai insurers provide a certificate pre-approved by the authorities. The downside is that these insurances offer very reduced medical cover, corresponding to or close to the minimum required. Considering the medical costs in Thailand, especially in the event of a serious medical event, those insurance are excessively inadequate.

 

→Certificate provided by foreign insurers

Good news, it is possible to have health insurance out of the list. This includes foreign insurers. This is interesting because it offers the possibility of obtaining a visa, staying in Thailand, while enjoying strong medical coverage (eg. THB 20,000,000) and a solid policy contract (lifetime, international coverage including country of nationality, repatriation, etc.).

 

How to get your OA visa with international health insurance?

 

The insurer only needs to complete and sign the Foreign Insurance Certificate.

Present this certificate with the full insurance policy when applying for a visa, (first application or renewal).

 

Please note, the period of medical cover must correspond to the period of the visa. This is an important point for those who already have health insurance because they will have to modify their current insurance or buy a new insurance in order to match the date of departure of the insurance with the visa.

 

Please note that some insurers will refuse to complete and sign this Foreign Insurance Certificate.

 

To date, we have many customers who have been able to obtain or renew their visa while retaining their international health insurance.

 

To contact us for quotations, personalized support and advice, please fill this online form by clicking here

unnamed.jpg

 

aoc_logo_full_1024x1024 (1)GOOGLE PLAY STORE     IOS APPLE

Website: www.aoc-insurancebroker.com | www.aoc-expatcare.com

Award Insurtech 2017 - Orias n° 08 045 906   

FRENCH TECH   Logo_Finance_Innovation   Logo-jef-label-certifié    gIhNLvcLgb_-U86FUqkcR4sFgxQtbHlKKTopoPH8

Liability and Financial guarantee Argo-Llyods HYAIF16ADLARG-1391

Before printing, think about the environment - Be Green Read On Screen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lack of acceptance of foreign based insurance is the war stopper for me.  Been here for over 14 years and Blue Cross was always good enough but suddenly the Thais know better.  Just because their insurance companies are willing to sign a Thai government form doesn't make their anti foreign attitude any more palatable

 

I guarantee no Thai Insurer would sign another governments form, hell Immigration they won't even accept a valid passport unless it is translated into Thai

 

No, I will vote with my feet, Thailand has shown their true xenophobic colors with this totally discriminatory policy    

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2020 at 11:30 AM, Peter Denis said:

The content of this article is mostly correct.

1 - Indeed the thai IO-approved health-insurance policies on offer are quite expensive for the almost worthless coverage they provide.  LMG Insurance being the only thai insurer that provides somewhat affordable policies - 6.000 THB to 11.700 THB annual premium in the age bracket 50 - 75.

2 - When applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country, also foreign health-insurance policies are allowed providing that the foreign insurer fills in and signs the Foreign Insurance Certificate.  But since that FiC refers to thai legislation, most foreign insurers are not willing to sign such Certificate as they are unfamiliar with that thai legislation.

3 - What the article fails to mention is that you can ONLY make use of foreign health-insurance when applying for the O-A Visa (which is by definition in your home-country).  When the 1-year permission to stay that O-A Visa provides you, needs to be extended such 1-year extension can ONLY be done at your local IO.  And the PoliceOrder that stipulates the requirements for such extension, clearly indicates that only thai IO-approved health-insurance is allowed.

= = = = =

The article creates the impression that it is possible to long-stay in Thailand on an O-A Visa with a foreign health-insurance policy.  That is correct as long as the permission to stay from your original O-A Visa has not expired.  On expiry you could of course return to your home-country and re-apply for a new O-A Visa, but when staying in Thailand and wanting to extend your permission to stay at your local IO your foreign health-insurance policy will not be accepted.

 

My friend is planning to retire here and will come as soon as international flights resume.

He wii get an OA visa in his own country but he is a healthy 85 year old but i dont think he can get insurance at his age?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, gamini said:

My friend is planning to retire here and will come as soon as international flights resume.

He wii get an OA visa in his own country but he is a healthy 85 year old but i dont think he can get insurance at his age?

When your friend applies at the thai embassy in his home-country for the Non Imm O-A Visa, it will be difficult for him to persuade his insurance company to fill in the required Foreign Insurance Certificate stating that his international health-insurance policy meets the thai IO criteria.  The reason not being his age, or the (low) required coverage of 400K in-patient and 40K out-patient, but simply because that FIC refers to thai legislation that foreign insurers are not familiar with and hence their legal depts will most often refuse to sign such document.

On top of that it will also be impossible for your friend to get thai IO-approved health-insurance because none of the thai TGIA insurers allowed by IO, are offering policies when over 75 years of age.

But there are easy solutions to avoid that thai insurance scam.

Your friend can simply fly to Thailand with a 60-day Tourist Visa or VisaExempt, and once in Thailand apply for a 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa at the local IO of the place where he wants to stay.  In the last month of those 90 days he can then apply for a 1-year extension of stay at that same IO based on this Non Imm O - retirement Visa.

When doing so there is no requirement for health-insurance (which he is unable to get anyway)

>> I have PM-ed you a comprehensive guideline document addressing all details/options to apply for such a Non Imm O - retirement Visa, so that you can forward that to your friend.

 

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

When your friend applies at the thai embassy in his home-country for the Non Imm O-A Visa, it will be difficult for him to persuade his insurance company to fill in the required Foreign Insurance Certificate stating that his international health-insurance policy meets the thai IO criteria.  The reason not being his age, or the (low) required coverage of 400K in-patient and 40K out-patient, but simply because that FIC refers to thai legislation that foreign insurers are not familiar with and hence their legal depts will most often refuse to sign such document.

On top of that it will also be impossible for your friend to get thai IO-approved health-insurance because none of the thai TGIA insurers allowed by IO, are offering policies when over 75 years of age.

But there are easy solutions to avoid that thai insurance scam.

Your friend can simply fly to Thailand with a 60-day Tourist Visa or VisaExempt, and once in Thailand apply for a 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa at the local IO of the place where he wants to stay.  In the last month of those 90 days he can then apply for a 1-year extension of stay at that same IO based on this Non Imm O - retirement Visa.

When doing so there is no requirement for health-insurance (which he is unable to get anyway)

>> I have PM-ed you a comprehensive guideline document addressing all details/options to apply for such a Non Imm O - retirement Visa, so that you can forward that to your friend.

 

@gamini

> See my post above and check your PM-messages for the guideline document.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

@gamini

> See my post above and check your PM-messages for the guideline document.

Thanks very much

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...