Worst nightmare - Daughter Speaking American!

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

She's been there 3 times already, and might be going to study in Melbourne.

Right now, not without 14 days quarantine. I expect that will go on for another 6 months.

Your lucky, my daughter thinks she is Japanese, has been there

a couple of times, buys Japanese makeup,shampoos Etc, likes

Japanese food,watches Japanese soaps,and speaks,reads and writes

Japanese.

Regards Worgeordie

I bet you it's more than her school teacher. Let's face it, she won't get many hours with the teacher per week, and possibly not pay that much attention if she's already bilingual.

My 15 year old doesn't have much of an accent, but used to. My 11 year old has what I call a YouTube accent. More American than I would like, but there's not a great deal we can do about it. They were both born in Bangkok and have lived here all their lives. We go to England every year when possible. Only staying there for at least a year will purge the Americanisms. But that's not an option for us.

I'm grateful (and proud) that they are truly bilingual, as some other half-half kids I know have appalling English, which I blame on the fathers not spending enough time with them from an early age and for as much as possible through the developing years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Pilotman said:

English is a second language to most Americans. 

I would not allow her to go to a US university. Scotland has arguably the best schools/unis in the world. Even the Queen of England sent her sons to school there, and her grandson, Wullie. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, worgeordie said:

Japanese.

Regards Worgeordie

Mine is more Korean, and taught herself that language. Also speaks Japanese/Chinese.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Japanese.

Regards Worgeordie

So then she likes the US Television show CHIP's, like all Japanese do.....

I think it depends on which school she's going to - US schools hold graduation ceremonies at the end of high school (some hold Kindergarten graduations <deleted>!) so it's fine for her to say 'when i graduate' - but obviously British school don't have that tradition, British kids would say 'when I graduate from uni' (Uni is Aussie slang for university). 

If it makes you feel any better, spare a thought for all the American parents whose kids watch so much Peppa Pig that they start speaking with that God-awful Peppa Pig accent (whichever godforsaken part of the UK that's from) .."Dad-dauyyy!" 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 2long said:

I bet you it's more than her school teacher. Let's face it, she won't get many hours with the teacher per week, and possibly not pay that much attention if she's already bilingual.

My 15 year old doesn't have much of an accent, but used to. My 11 year old has what I call a YouTube accent. More American than I would like, but there's not a great deal we can do about it. They were both born in Bangkok and have lived here all their lives. We go to England every year when possible. Only staying there for at least a year will purge the Americanisms. But that's not an option for us.

I'm grateful (and proud) that they are truly bilingual, as some other half-half kids I know have appalling English, which I blame on the fathers not spending enough time with them from an early age and for as much as possible through the developing years.

Indeed, some "half-caste kids'" English is dreadful.

My kids go to English programs. Too many US teachers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, jadee said:

If it makes you feel any better, spare a thought for all the American parents whose kids watch so much Peppa Pig that they start speaking with that God-awful Peppa Pig accent (whichever godforsaken part of the UK that's from) .."Dad-dauyyy!" 

But "Miss rabbit" was inspirational, having at least 20 jobs!