Worst nightmare - Daughter Speaking American!

27 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I suppose we all want our offspring to have an accent similar to ours, or at least from the country where we come from.

Where are you from? Cannot tell from your profile.

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Americans don't say when I graduate school. Rather we would say 

After I graduate from school 

or

When I graduate from school 

or actually more commonly 

you could just leave out any mention of school. 

School is implied by the word graduate. 

Also Americans if they were to mention school would usually be more specific. 

As in

high school 

college 

graduate school 

cosmetology school 

bartending academy 

Being Scottish, graduating from school is alien to me, unless it was "medical school" etc.

Graduating from kindergarten/primary school is just ridiculous.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Your lucky, my daughter thinks she is Japanese, has been there

a couple of times, buys Japanese makeup,shampoos Etc, likes

Japanese food,watches Japanese soaps,and speaks,reads and writes

Japanese.

Regards Worgeordie

Is your wife Japanese by any chance?

9 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Mine is more Korean, and taught herself that language. Also speaks Japanese/Chinese.

Send us a youtube link of her speaking English, Japanese, and Chinese please. hahaha

We all love bragging about our kids.  Learning languages is most admirable. 

Being very sarcastic today, no offense, glad you have the means to send her to a proper Scottish University.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Skallywag said:

Send us a youtube link of her speaking English, Japanese, and Chinese please. hahaha

We all love bragging about our kids.  Learning languages is most admirable. 

Being very sarcastic today, no offense, glad you have the means to send her to a proper Scottish University.

no way

Learning language is easy for some, especially bilingual kids. She is native in Thai/English but only fluent in Japanese and intermediate in Chinese/Korean.

Some enjoy learning languages, like me. I'm studying Chinese, but no Youtube, before you ask.

3 minutes ago, artiz said:

Only a matter of time before your expensive American teacher has gone and your daughter will be speaking Filipino English... director can then 'pocket' far more than half of the government hand-out for English lessons. 

So true.

11 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I'm fae Aberdeen, far folks spik proper English.

There is a translator on CGTN who clearly has had at some stage an English teacher from the Leeds district. Please be careful.

I sometimes hear my flat vowels from the wife and shudder.

18 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I'm fae Aberdeen, far folks spik proper English.

Thats where I learnt my "Scottish", quite a strict learning institute, compulsory - Craiginches ???? 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Logosone said:

I know just how you feel.

If my daughter spoke German with a Swiss accent I would be beside myself with rage.

My daughter started learning German as she was going to be going to free University there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

So true.

Thinking ahead regarding your daughters English... accent is clearly a matter of the social and will therefore be very much dependent on your influence throughout her life. Besides, regular English lessons from Dad should probably be a given. Also being born in Thailand does mean she will need to get some very good IELTS (or equivalent) scores under her educational qualifications belt if she wants to move up to higher education back in the UK.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, artiz said:

Thinking ahead regarding your daughters English... accent is clearly a matter of the social and will therefore be very much dependent on your influence throughout her life. Besides, regular English lessons from Dad should probably be a given. Also being born in Thailand does mean she will need to get some very good IELTS (or equivalent) scores under her educational qualifications belt if she wants to move up to higher education back in the UK.

Being over 17, there's not much I cab change now regarding her accent. IELTS is no problem. The worst thing is that she will have to pay fees of about 13,000 GBP a year as a foreign student, despite being a British citizen. 

Edited by Neeranam

9 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

My daughter started learning German as she was going to be going to free University there.

I moved to Germany for that reason. Both my daughters completed Uni here and started their lives completely debt free. In fact they got paid a sizable allowance to attend, so they actually ended up in profit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

IELTS is no problem. The worst thing is that she will have to pay fees of about 13,000 GBP a year as a foreign student, despite being a British citizen. 

Vote Labour innit?