Worst nightmare - Daughter Speaking American!

2 minutes ago, Muzzique said:

I moved to Germany for that reason. Both my daughters completed Uni here and started their lives completely debt free. In fact they got paid a sizable allowance to attend, so they actually ended up in profit.

I heard Sweden do the same, but few people know. 

13 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

My wife was taught by US teachers. I nearly laughed my <deleted> off when she said she was going for a dump! 

Why? We normally don't use "defecate" in the US. And did she in turn laugh at your boorishness and stupidity?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, cmsally said:

Before Brexit ? Or were you anticipating Scottish independence?

Before. Actually, I was expecting independence. As a Thai, she could get a scholarship. isn't it great to be a Dual Citizen? ????

6 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Being over 17, there's not much I cab change now regarding her accent. IELTS is no problem. The worst thing is that she will have to pay fees of about 13,000 GBP a year as a foreign student, despite being a British citizen. 

I know !

4 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Why? We normally don't use "defecate" in the US. And did she in turn laugh at your boorishness and stupidity?

Now you are talking s*1t!

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

It can be a worrying time.

In normal times it would just be the relatively simple matter of packing them off to Blighty for "readjustment training". It worked with my daughter who has picked up the correct accent and a host of unsavory terms on the trading floors at Canary Wharf. Fortunately not "Saarf London" as I would prefer American to my own tongue.

In these virus times you might need to find an appropriate "finishing school" locally to round off those yankee rough edges ????

Rooster

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

In these virus times you might need to find an appropriate "finishing school" locally to round off those yankee rough edges

The situation now means that we spend much more time together and she(and he sister) are happy to be forced to watch Braveheart and Scotland the what - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzS3AdzZ0Nw

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, cmsally said:

Surely there must be a Youtube channel for correct English !

If not maybe start one ! Remember I gave you the idea so you need to make me a partner!

Actually she is in negotiations, for translating, with a friend who has a channel.

9 minutes ago, wotsdermatter said:

Have you ever been to the States?  They have many different accents, some good, i.e. acceptable and understood outside of the country, and many non-acceptable and not understood outside of the country.  Same goes for England, Scotland, Ireland, and South Africa.

'nuf sed.

Indeed.

In the UK the Geordie accent is attractive, so is the upper class "plum" accent, more the latter one. Liverpuddlian, Mancunian, Cockney are not so attractive.

In the US a Southern Tennessee accent is attractive, New York accent less so, Philadelphian accent is nice, Maine accent not so much.

The Australian accent is funny, I always have to laugh when they talk, Scottish, forget about it, I'm under the table.

Irish is quite nice.

In Europe Swiss, Catalonian, all Scandinavian and Dutch are the worst sounding languages, obviously French, Spanish, Italian the best.

Edited by Logosone
  • Like 1

Not really, but it's not an offensive accent to the ear. Some accents, say Mancunian are very offensive to the ear. Same with dutch or catalan.

I can't always understand the Irish, no, but then I can't always understand Americans. That upper class English plum accent is fantastic to understand.

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

going to the same school as Lord Byron, although a few years later. 

I know what you mean, I went to the same junior college as OJ Simpson.  It's practically the same thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You think that's bad.

My girlfriend's daughter is picking up my cockney accent.

I keep having to correct her when she replaces "th" with "f", and dropping t's at the end of words.

Seems funny hearing a little Thai girl speak English with a cockney accent.

Learning french as well.

Regarding the American accent. I think they pick a lot of that up from watching US TV, and youtube videos.

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 1