Worst nightmare - Daughter Speaking American!

You should seriously consider changing your daughter's teacher to another. Apparently, the teacher hasn't gone to a proper grammar school before.

It should be 'When I graduate' and not ' When I graduate school'. 

You don't teach informal words like 'wanna' 'outta' to kids or they will develop the habit of writing 'em like this.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

Only Brits and the like omit articles in front of words like school, hospital, university and bank. An American or Canadian would say that I go to "a university" or "the university" and not simply "university".

The Brits suffer from the delusion that they are still an important dominant nation in the world, something that they have not been in the last 150 years. Most of the world today wants to learn North American English and not "marbles in the mouth" <deleted> English, a.k.a. "the Queens English"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, oslooskar said:

You're lucky, not "your lucky". Unless you are talking about your lucky day.

You must be bored,with nothing to do, this is the second time in 2 days

that someone has corrected a simple mistake in my writing,.

Maybe a lot of English teachers with nothing to do ,trolling websites

looking for spelling mistakes,as Neeranam did not reply what you

talking about, I am sure he knew what was referred.

P.S. I hope this post is up to your standards.and I have an excuse been a Geordie ,English is

my second language 

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

22 hours ago, tonray said:

I think your thinking is 'coloured' by too much fish and french fries...have some Lays potato chips and call me in the morning.

And perhaps it would have been better if her long-term English teacher had a very broad scottish accent.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Expat Tom said:

Only Brits and the like omit articles in front of words like school, hospital, university and bank. An American or Canadian would say that I go to "a university" or "the university" and not simply "university".

The Brits suffer from the delusion that they are still an important dominant nation in the world, something that they have not been in the last 150 years. Most of the world today wants to learn North American English and not "marbles in the mouth" <deleted> English, a.k.a. "the Queens English"

To go to "the" University implies a college in Oxford? In your example the Brits are correct. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ehs818 said:

I find it amusing when Brits and Australians make fun of American speaking English. We don't speak British style English, we speak American English. While similar, it's quite different than British style English. I come from California and am regularly praised for speaking in a clear and understandable voice. I've no accent and can't understand much of what Brits from certain parts of English say. There's a mumble to there speech that I find very hard to unpack. And as for Aussies, I've learned that they simply pronounce the vowels, (aeiou and y) differently that I do. Their A sounds like my I. But once I train my ear to understand their pronunciation, I've little trouble understanding them.. They are generally good natured and friendly people. But hey, how 'bout them Brits!?

The UK is a small country but has innumerable accents, I come from the south and have trouble understanding anyone from Birmingham but can understand a Scottish or Irish accent but that isn't the topic here, it's about the queen's English, ie. English as it should be spoken or the root/foundation of the English language, any accent is a deviation from the correct pronunciation. Language is a means of communication and as such has rules that are common to that language to enable anyone speaking/listening to it to be able to communicate and understand what is being communicated (you don't make up your own rules using morse code for example). Intensive use of the language, native speaker, allows one to be able to understand different accents but that is difficult for foreigners as the rules have changed from what they have learnt. Some accents are charming and a delight to listen to, not so a London or Birmingham accent or indeed most American accents. In the 40's and 50's Hollywood came up with the mid-Atlantic accent for American actors, it was neither British English nor American, rather an intelligible mixture of the two. Nobody has ever spoken English as beautifully as Richard Burton. 

• Like 1

I'd like to know about this "US teacher." His or her origin, education, where raised, etc. "US teacher" itself is somewhat an odd label, ie., versus "American." The two are not necessarily synonymous; the former designating location while later designating citizenship.

32 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

You must be bored,with nothing to do, this is the second time in 2 days

that someone has corrected a simple mistake in my writing,.

Maybe a lot of English teachers with nothing to do ,trolling websites

looking for spelling mistakes,as Neeranam did not reply what you

talking about, I am sure he knew what was referred.

P.S. I hope this post is up to your standards.and I have an excuse been a Geordie ,English is

my second language 

regards Worgeordie

Well, then, you should be happy that I'm bored and here to help you. "You're" = You are.  "Your" = the possessive form of you. Example: You're a lucky man because there is nothing wrong with your health.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Now just wait a Kentucky moment, questionable or not the Queens english.  I say color, and you spell it colour........so color me now properly learned from the true English folk....????

Somebody certainly seems to have dropped the preposition. When I graduate FROM school ... or simply, after I graduate. Anyway, obviously the Daughter is not from Kentucky as she did not use you all or bless your heart. Where did you live in the Commonwealth?

19 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Yeah, my daughter has the same problem. When I take her home to Liverpool everyone asks why she has an American accent.

It's the mid-Atlantic accent influence of the international school system where they don't correct them. She can't even say aluminium the way it's spelled!!

spelled =US spelling, spelt =UK

• Like 2

3 hours ago, soalbundy said:

I don't know where this myth originated, None of the people in the occupied countries were forced to speak German and many Germans could and can speak better English than many Americans without the "errm you know, like erm" etc. As for WW2 'Johnny come lately's production capabilities definitively was a contributing factor to victory but the country that bled Nazi Germany dry was Russia.

I think it originated from the US as to how they won the war, both WW. 1and2 that is!

1 hour ago, Expat Tom said:

The Brits suffer from the delusion that they are still an important dominant nation in the world, something that they have not been in the last 150 years. Most of the world today wants to learn North American English

For better or worse, terms like "British Council" and "Cambridge" carry some weight. Harvard, Stanford, or MIT would do well to put out competing certifications for international schools, but for some reason haven't. Look up "linguistic imperialism". I dare say old chap, THE SUN NEVER SETS ON THE...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

To go to "the" University implies a college in Oxford? In your example the Brits are correct. 

"the University" may imply Oxford, but "The University" is in Charlottesville, Virginia.

23 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Americans don't say when I graduate school. Rather we would say 

After I graduate from school 

or

When I graduate from school 

or actually more commonly 

you could just leave out any mention of school. 

School is implied by the word graduate. 

Also Americans if they were to mention school would usually be more specific. 

As in

high school 

college 

graduate school 

cosmetology school 

bartending academy 

So an American undergraduate is still in school. Could that explain Donald's flimsy grasp of knowledge?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, leeedwards said:

He picked it up from YouTube and movies. My son knows it irritates me

I've been getting through this quarantine with Poirot, A Touch of Frost, The Good Life (Good Neighbours), Are You Being Served, and Monty Python. They're all on YouTube. Steer your son toward these to cure him of that creeping American infection. Smashing good, I say!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ehs818 said:

I find it amusing when Brits and Australians make fun of American speaking English. We don't speak British style English, we speak American English. While similar, it's quite different than British style English. I come from California and am regularly praised for speaking in a clear and understandable voice. I've no accent and can't understand much of what Brits from certain parts of English say. There's a mumble to there speech that I find very hard to unpack. And as for Aussies, I've learned that they simply pronounce the vowels, (aeiou and y) differently that I do. Their A sounds like my I. But once I train my ear to understand their pronunciation, I've little trouble understanding them.. They are generally good natured and friendly people. But hey, how 'bout them Brits!?

Pardon?

23 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I would not allow her to go to a US university. Scotland has arguably the best schools/unis in the world. Even the Queen of England sent her sons to school there, and her grandson, Wullie. 

First hit on google search shows 15 of the top 20 universities in the world are located in the US. Oxford and Cambridge #1 and #3.  While cost and location are important variables in any decision, you can't fault US universities for quality.  https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2020/world-ranking

Edited by Silencer
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Well my son spoke/speaks the queens English due to me. Unfortunately due to online games where the pride of American Youth are predominant he has started to pick up a slight American accent as well as slang and a plethora of swear words which aren't used by me (at least not at home) "feg you bitch" is mild. One can only come down on your child like a ton of bricks even for such outliers as 'tomaytoes instead of tomatoes, that works. I only converse with my son in English which his mother can't understand so he continually has to switch between Thai (which I speak) and English so when he starts to use an American accent I tell him if he can't speak English then he should speak Thai with me, this seems to shame him into self correction but puberty is subversive, he is 12 yrs old so a natural resistance is starting to show  "I can speak the way I want", I then remove his cable from my modem to his laptop and he suddenly remembers his love for the queen's English again. 

Sometime, if you have an extra 30 seconds, you should tell him about all the great technology companies in England.

3 hours ago, ehs818 said:

I speak London English (not cockney) there are many accents in London again not all cockney, as everyone likes to think, when in America i get asked if i'm Australian I tell them no and that they the Ozzies get their accents mainly from London English before strangling a bit, but all good fun and banter laughing at each other!

Mind you the way London is going it'll be Islamic in a few years, i am now classed as a minority in the place i was born and bred in, sad really!

Edited by maxcorrigan
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, oslooskar said:

Well, then, you should be happy that I'm bored and here to help you. "You're" = You are.  "Your" = the possessive form of you. Example: You're a lucky man because there is nothing wrong with your health.

No I am p*ssed off,and I don't need your help, it's condescending .

get a life.

regards Worgeordie

• Thanks 1