Worst nightmare - Daughter Speaking American!

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

You must be bored,with nothing to do, this is the second time in 2 days

that someone has corrected a simple mistake in my writing,.

Maybe a lot of English teachers with nothing to do ,trolling websites

looking for spelling mistakes,as Neeranam did not reply what you

talking about, I am sure he knew what was referred.

P.S. I hope this post is up to your standards.and I have an excuse been a Geordie ,English is

my second language 

regards Worgeordie

Nowt the marrer wi' that, kidda!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/6/2020 at 11:07 AM, Lacessit said:

Send her to Australia when you can, we don't speak through our noses there.

did you bring me here to die ?    

No mite,  they brought you here yesterdie 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Andyfez said:

Yes. Many kids start speaking Philipino/American English.

The word I always question is 'gotten'.

It is an old genuine English word clunky though it is, if you read old books like Charles Dickens etc. the word is used a lot, although not used much in southern England still apparently used in the North and Scotland!

On 4/6/2020 at 11:07 AM, Lacessit said:

Send her to Australia when you can, we don't speak through our noses there.

Oh please !  I don't drink but take my friends (USA)  around when they come here to visit. They ask me when Aussies are talking to us at bars "can you understand what he says" I siad you have to listen very closely.

On 4/6/2020 at 11:12 AM, Neeranam said:

What I thought, but wasn't sure. I learned proper English, going to the same school as Lord Byron, although a few years later. 

https://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2014/04/graduate-school.html

It must surely be a very grey dey for you.  By the wey, perhaps you should shedule an appointment and have her tested, or at the very least change shools. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Expat Tom said:

Most of the world today wants to learn North American English

Not sure how you come to that conclusion as the Global reality is completely the opposite. Most countries adhere to British English as their standard educational target and the BBC is the predominate Global English language transmission broadcaster.

I have a feeling you need to remove your rose tinted glasses. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

quite sure all the EVA air staff  on the Bangkok / Heathrow planes have all been taught English by Americans. Drives me nuts all these Chinese ladies walking up and down the plane saying 'would you like more cAAffee'

Suicide is painless.  Perhaps you could sort out a time and place with Neeranam and his daughter - make it a three-way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andyfez said:

Yes. Many kids start speaking Philipino/American English.

The word I always question is 'gotten'.

Gotten is an interesting word, or perhaps I should say an interesting conjugation. 

400 years ago, when there was no difference between British and American English, we all used gotten as the past participle of get.  Over time, the two dialects diverged and the British stopped using gotten and now use got, while the Americans have retained the original conjugation.

So, the question is, who is correct?  The ones who kept the original form of the word or the ones who have forgotten it? ????

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Oh please !  I don't drink but take my friends (USA)  around when they come here to visit. They ask me when Aussies are talking to us at bars "can you understand what he says" I siad you have to listen very closely.

Try drinking more, it may help.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Muzzique said:

Not sure how you come to that conclusion as the Global reality is completely the opposite. Most countries adhere to British English as their standard educational target and the BBC is the predominate Global English language transmission broadcaster.

I have a feeling you need to remove your rose tinted glasses. 

BBC English?  Does that mean the next generation of English speakers will all sound like Lyse Doucet? ????

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

To go to "the" University implies a college in Oxford? In your example the Brits are correct. 

Only Brits and the like omit articles in front of words like school, hospital, university and bank. An American or Canadian would say that I go to "a university" or "the university" and not simply "university".

You're are joking when Americans say things like Play ball, skip rope, Play Guitar, not Play the Guitar, Play Piano  not play the piano etc. as the English would say.

The rest of your post is complete rubbish cliches that a lot of Americans love not all though thank goodness!

You will have to accept that wherever your daughter lives or even studies particular long term and while she is relatively young , that she will probably adopt some of the local accent , language etc.

We visited Glasgow a few years ago and in a Thai restaurant we found in the City  Centre some of the Thai staff already had the local accent.

They easily reverted back to Thai when speaking to my wife.

Your daughter will be fortunate that she has had exposure to other cultures and if her accent varies it will be a talking point for whoever she meets in the future.

• Like 2

On 4/6/2020 at 11:12 AM, Pilotman said:

English is a second language to most Americans. 

As Mr H Simpson said: "Why do I need to learn English?. I'm never going to England."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

The other thing is that accents are very diverse in any given country. In the US, for example, someone from Alabama does not sound like someone from NYC.

Exactly, as someone from Yorkshire does not sound like a Cornishman.

52 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Maybe the Americans should have their own language like the Australians 555

At least the convicts remembered to take a dictionary with them. Stupid yanks can't spell for <deleted>. Bad pronunciation and spelling makes the yanks speak some sort of pigeon English at best ????????

Edited by whimsicalmike
  • Like 1

One of my classmates of a CELTA course where you learn to be teacher of English as 2nd language, has a pronounced ie strong Cockney accent. The moment she opened her mouth I felt sorry for her future students world over. Still our group of British instructors did not say a word about it. Us Yanks have this unfortunate habit of shortening sentence structure, just like Brits swallowing their syllables, but our educated accent (emphasized on educated) is still balm to the ears if one's been to other places in the world where English is 1st language (You meet bunches of them citizens right here in popular spots in Thailand where farangs roam. Including this forum, naturally.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bannork said:

So an American undergraduate is still in school. Could that explain Donald's flimsy grasp of knowledge?

Of course in England we do not graduate from school, we leave. Then we go on to University from which, hopefully, we will graduate.

• Like 1