Worst nightmare - Daughter Speaking American!

5 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

American teacher could come from Brazil, Uruguay, or Costa Rica.

The teacher comes from Wisconsin, wherever that is and has a bachelor's degree in History. 

what are the requirements for the work permit?  native-born from one of the big-5 english-speaking nations, or simply holding the passport?

11 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

US people(persons) add the article, Brits don't omit.

They also omit prepositions, even on national TV - "President Trump tweeted Thursday" etc.

The only reason some learners(esp. Chinese)want to speak North American English is because Canada is an easy country to get into. 

chinese kids love american english because that's what their favorite artists usually speak.  i've run across many young chinese that sound like urban rappers when speaking english.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

and those from Yorkshire.

how dare you Sir? We are the quintessential English folk and speak perfect Queens English. Remember, the Tudors were Yorkshire folk.  Actually they originated in Wales, but that's best forgotten.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

You must be bored,with nothing to do, this is the second time in 2 days

that someone has corrected a simple mistake in my writing,.

Maybe a lot of English teachers with nothing to do ,trolling websites

looking for spelling mistakes,as Neeranam did not reply what you

talking about, I am sure he knew what was referred.

P.S. I hope this post is up to your standards.and I have an excuse been a Geordie ,English is

my second language 

regards Worgeordie

Best ignore these guys. I'm writing on a phone and don't care if I make mistakes in writing. 

I know from experience that many teachers here have very low self esteem, understandably so, and feel the need for self righteous judgment to make themselves feel higher up the Thai hierarchical social ladder. After 5 to 10 years, they find out that they will never even get on the bottom rung, despite the wais and being called khru. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, moontang said:

Sometime, if you have an extra 30 seconds, you should tell him about all the great technology companies in England.

My kids know that coming from a country of 6 million, we have the best technological minds on the world. Try googling Scottish inventions. 

3 hours ago, connda said:

And Op.  If you want control of your kid's education, then home school.  When you toss your kid into an educational blender, don't complain about what you get in return

I've invested a lot of money in my kids' education and expect the right to complain, albeit in jest. 

I don't believe live in home school. 

On 4/6/2020 at 11:52 AM, Neeranam said:

My wife was taught by US teachers. I nearly laughed my <deleted> off when she said she was going for a dump! 

And is it not worse when someone says ' I need to take a dump ' , where too for gawds sake , blimey , I ask you.

Oh oh while here,  Americans say ' I dove into the pool '  I think as an English chap this is ok . Why , well , EG. ' Yesterday I drove the car '  Not yesterday I droved the car. or yesterday I drived the car.

Teacher about 60 years ago said ' You cannot start a sentence with the word and as and is a conective word '. I put my hand up and said " And why is that sir ? "   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StevieAus said:

You will have to accept that wherever your daughter lives or even studies particular long term and while she is relatively young , that she will probably adopt some of the local accent , language etc.

We visited Glasgow a few years ago and in a Thai restaurant we found in the City  Centre some of the Thai staff already had the local accent.

They easily reverted back to Thai when speaking to my wife.

Your daughter will be fortunate that she has had exposure to other cultures and if her accent varies it will be a talking point for whoever she meets in the future.

She is indeed fortunate. 

Yes, in Edinburgh there are ethnic Indians with a Scots brogue. In Thailand, there are ethnic Europeans with an Isarn accent. 

16 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

I can see your problem although you don't!  You see anywhere the use of the word upset by me!

Can you see anywhere that I said you used the word upset? For gawds sake, open the schools quick

2 hours ago, Angry Dragon said:

No worries, with that atrocious grammar it's unlikely she'd get accepted.  Better off getting educated in the same manner as prince andrew.  Now there's a nice lad.

Nothing wrong with my grammar. You know nothing about my daughter's grammar. 

Lower self-esteem day? 

1 hour ago, shy coconut said:

You went to Harrow?

I wonder if I, at one time used your boater as a frisbee. Back then the Harrovians

were not allowed to retaliate, they would get their revenge against the poor in adulthood!!

No, Aberdeen Grammar. 

58 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

y'all should be proud.  lemme 'splain.

y'all englanders may've invented english, but us 'merkans done perfected it.

yore welcome!

Oh dear, 3 of the 4 countries in the UK are not Englanders 

39 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

what are the requirements for the work permit?  native-born from one of the big-5 english-speaking nations, or simply holding the passport?

chinese kids love american english because that's what their favorite artists usually speak.  i've run across many young chinese that sound like urban rappers when speaking english.

Nah, it's too do with their parents wanting them to go to Canada to work. 

22 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

She is indeed fortunate. 

Yes, in Edinburgh there are ethnic Indians with a Scots brogue. In Thailand, there are ethnic Europeans with an Isarn accent. 

Friend of ours moved up to Isle of Lewis about 10 yrs ago. Local shop in Stornoway run by Scottish speaking Indians !

• Like 1

She is practicing word linking and you OUGHT TO praise her rather than condemn her for it. It demonstrates fluency and comfort with English.

If you have more interest in the subject I will leave it up to you to Google: word linking + pronunciation.

I leave you with these from Cambridge and Collins dictionaries.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/outta

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/outta

How about the defending the absolutely plebian use of got instead of have? How very British.

Half of the UK would be well served to take ALL the marbles out of their mouths before speaking.

Signed,

Your friendly American dumb<deleted> English teacher that knows nothing about grammar but obviously more than you do.

PS the fact she wants to go to US and not UK not lost on me. They all do.

47 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

feel the need for self righteous judgment to make themselves feel higher up the Thai hierarchical social ladder

This is just low self esteem.

Given the OP your comments hugely ironic.

Innit' mate?

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Your friendly American dumb<deleted> English teacher that knows nothing about grammar but obviously more than you do.

PS the fact she wants to go to US and not UK not lost on me. They all do.

Your reading skills are not so good ????

She doesn't want to go to the USA. 

It is possible you know more about grammar than me, but I did teach it here for 25 years. 

Out of interest, how many years have you been teaching it? 

6 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Your reading skills are not so good ????

She doesn't want to go to the USA. 

It is possible you know more about grammar than me, but I did teach it here for 25 years. 

Out of interest, how many years have you been teaching it? 

25 years but did not know about linking in pronunciation. That's shocking but not really.

I'd gone back and read the thread. Found out you're Scottish. Now I have to say I generally like Scottish men not so much women but whatever. But for a Scot to complain about anyone's grammar or speech. Well that's the best laugh I'll have all week.

Also read you're studying Chinese?? I'd love to get some of my old HSK5 students with you and here you speak Chinese with a Scottish accent. You'll have them in tears.

Edited by Number 6
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

25 years but did not know about linking in pronunciation. That's shocking but not really.

I'd gone back and read the thread. Found out you're Scottish. Now I have to say I generally like Scottish men not so much women but whatever. But for a Scot to complain about anyone's grammar or speech. Well that's the best laugh I'll have all week.

Also read you're studying Chinese?? I'd love to get some of my old HSK5 students with you and here you speak Chinese with a Scottish accent. You'll have them in tears.

Where did I say I know nothing about linking? 

Talk about making assumptions! 

I notice you missed my question about how long you've been teaching. 

If your grammarian, what tense is 

"I'd gone back and read the thread" and why use it here? 

1 hour ago, ChouDoufu said:

y'all should be proud.  lemme 'splain.

y'all englanders may've invented english, but us 'merkans done perfected it.

yore welcome!

I hear where you are coming from but this might be why I rarely watch American films now. I go for the American ones from the time the actors spoke English. The films might be in black and white but who cares? At least I don't have to fathom out what they are saying. Why I wonder did it degenerate? And not only in the USA. My country has gone down the same road ennit, like. Know what I mean Bro.????

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1