BANGKOK
Neeranam

Worst nightmare - Daughter Speaking American!

I find it amusing when Brits and Australians make fun of American speaking English. We don't speak British style English, we speak American English. While similar, it's quite different than British style English. I come from California and am regularly praised for speaking in a clear and understandable voice. I've no accent and can't understand much of what Brits from certain parts of English say. There's a mumble to there speech that I find very hard to unpack. And as for Aussies, I've learned that they simply pronounce the vowels, (aeiou and y) differently that I do. Their A sounds like my I. But once I train my ear to understand their pronunciation, I've little trouble understanding them.. They are generally good natured and friendly people. But hey, how 'bout them Brits!?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, uncleP said:

All "US teachers " have questionable grammar  skills 😉

The trouble is you look at most of the signage here it is in 'Americanlish'!!! Because the spelling is easier and most assume it is true 'English' anyway🙄🙄🙄🙄😷😷😷😷

My son often speaks with an American accent, but it’s not from his teachers, it’s from one of his Thai friends at school. He picked it up from YouTube and movies. My son knows it irritates me and he does it to annoy me to his great amusement. 

• Like 1

I had someone ask me can I speak English, I used to be able too

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes. Many kids start speaking Philipino/American English.

The word I always question is 'gotten'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My son comes out with what I call You Toob English really grinds me. ☹️😝

I’ve worked most of my life in many different locations, and have a sort of “international” accent, but accent apart,  I did get irritated when my daughter was in school in Thailand and her Filipino English teacher would mark up her written work with American spellings rather than what she learnt from me.

Now she’s learning in North America I’m sure I’m going to have the same issue when she comes back. I keep telling her the reason it’s called English is because it’s from England !!! 😂

• Like 1

Sure she might be speaking American and as disgusting as it is, at least you are letting her know it is not English.

Never was it so well put as in the musical "My fair Lady" when Rex Harrison declared:- "the American's haven't spoken English for years.

Unfortunately even in Australia some "uneducated" journalists are using the American bastardization of English  intrude into this country.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ehs818 said:

I find it amusing when Brits and Australians make fun of American speaking English. We don't speak British style English, we speak American English. While similar, it's quite different than British style English. I come from California and am regularly praised for speaking in a clear and understandable voice. I've no accent and can't understand much of what Brits from certain parts of English say. There's a mumble to there speech that I find very hard to unpack. And as for Aussies, I've learned that they simply pronounce the vowels, (aeiou and y) differently that I do. Their A sounds like my I. But once I train my ear to understand their pronunciation, I've little trouble understanding them.. They are generally good natured and friendly people. But hey, how 'bout them Brits!?

The other thing is that accents are very diverse in any given country. In the US, for example, someone from Alabama does not sound like someone from NYC.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Goong Ying said:

"the American's haven't spoken English for years.

Can be said for the many British staying in Pattaya.

Ok, I am 71+ and Belgian, English is my 4th. language,

when I went to school it was mandatory to learn the 3 nationals Belgian languages, then English.

So I may not understand everything in English.

However I have no problem at all to understand Sir David Attenborough in his documentaries.

• Haha 1