Worst nightmare - Daughter Speaking American!

Comical. The world speaks varying levels of American English as do many British people - just look at CBeebies content to see how 'English' our language is.

I agree that 'Graduation' should be reserved for a degree or higher - but the world agrees you might as well make out that your 4 year old is equal to any graduate, no point bitching about it. There is an obvious reduction in vocabulary in most English - and you have to fight back by finding books to read... however, it's the way language moves.

3 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

Comical. The world speaks varying levels of American English as do many British people - just look at CBeebies content to see how 'English' our language is.

I agree that 'Graduation' should be reserved for a degree or higher - but the world agrees you might as well make out that your 4 year old is equal to any graduate, no point bitching about it. There is an obvious reduction in vocabulary in most English - and you have to fight back by finding books to read... however, it's the way language moves.

I actually just graduated from uni. and jumped on a plane to Thailand. No way was I going back, just to wear a stupid hat. 

I have cute photos of my kids graduating from Anubaan and Prathom.

On 4/6/2020 at 11:11 AM, spiekerjozef said:

I feel sorry for you. That horrible US accent...

It isn't the accent, it's the grammar that annoys me. I can't understand why they don't use English grammar to the letter or call their version "American", or even "Bastardised English". All those incorrect spellings and hard vowels when they should be soft and vice versa. Rant over.

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Expose myself? 

I'm not upset my daughter wants out of Thailand.

Hey Beverley Hill Billy!  This quote is this yours or is there another Neeranam?  I hope not!  see the word Upset yes open that school so you might learn how to take criticism and comprehend but that would require you making that huge EGO you have take a back sit.

Like I said, just from your post which is your right so much more going on in the world yet this is what bothers you I just hope your daughter as they say " the apple doesn't fall to far from the tree " just the fact she wants out of Thailand using that particular word says she got it which it seem you never will!

This can be solved rather easily, except not in this country.  

1.  Post their picture

2.  Post their CV

Then we will likely see their experience as a "Circus Handler" for 11-years and a degree from "United Technical School of Higher Education" is not the typical American teacher.  I have yet to meet a real teacher in Thailand.  

Then we can look at their Facebook page. I've seen many "teachers" with the F-word plastered all over their pages as they waste the time of everyone.  

But, come on, if you want your kid really educated.....send them somewhere else.  

4 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

And is it not worse when someone says ' I need to take a dump ' , where too for gawds sake , blimey , I ask you.

Oh oh while here,  Americans say ' I dove into the pool '  I think as an English chap this is ok . Why , well , EG. ' Yesterday I drove the car '  Not yesterday I droved the car. or yesterday I drived the car.

Teacher about 60 years ago said ' You cannot start a sentence with the word and as and is a conective word '. I put my hand up and said " And why is that sir ? "   

The correct terminology is a conjunction not connective (conective) just sayin (another Americanism) ???? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I notice you missed my question about how long you've been teaching. 

I learned about linking the second year I was teaching. That's all I need say about the matter.

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

If your grammarian

If you're

You are annoyingly trite.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jesimps said:

It isn't the accent, it's the grammar that annoys me. I can't understand why they don't use English grammar to the letter or call their version "American", or even "Bastardised English". All those incorrect spellings and hard vowels when they should be soft and vice versa. Rant over.

At least you know your daughter will properly say "math" and not "maths".

It is one - count it - one math for everyone. Your math and my math are exactly the same. There aren't different maths for different people. There is a branch of study called Mathematics, of which math is the shortened form, but without the "matics" portion, the plural 's' makes absolutely no sense.

Like fingers on a chalkboard when I hear that.  I can handle calling a trunk the boot, and the hood the bonnet. I don't mind lorries (in fact I prefer it because the US just says "truck" which is ambiguous), and even all those extraneous and unneccesary u's that Brits like to include in words. None of that bothers me. But when you spoil the sanctity of math and logic by calling it "maths", I just can't take that. It's pure sacrilege.

So your daughter will only learn one math, and be better for it. I guess it is a trade off.

American is a language?  Your daughters grammar sucks. She needs to fix this.   But thank goodness if she has an American accent she has a good chance in life.  I make sure my thai gf never practices  English with a teacher with an Old world accent.  Same with East Indian.  Luckily your spawn doesn't have much chance of living here.  

Luckily my daughter has had mostly American teachers, I was worried she'd pick up that Brit accent. But I'm over that. That may change the next school year, who knows. So many other things to worry about.

• Like 1

I tought English in Thailand for several years. My kids wanted to know all the slang words also. Out of here / outta here is same same. Most people in America will say outta here. Your child will blend in more learning the slang words IMO. Or should I have put, in my opinion?

18 hours ago, whimsicalmike said:

Stupid yanks can't spell for <deleted>. Bad pronunciation and spelling makes the yanks speak some sort of pigeon English at best ????????

Don’t make me laugh! The English-Speaking world hasn’t got a clue as to what proper spelling is.

10 minutes ago, oslooskar said:

An individual's inferiority complex can be gauged by the amount of Yank bashing he does.

The day someone is deemed  'inferior' for attacking America is  the day they can institutionalised in a mental centre facility

Edited by pixelaoffy

Thank god she isn't following in her parents racist foot steps. I'm guessing you point out to her how bad her American teacher is and how terrible it is to speak like a stupid American.  Guess she see that and wants to be better than her parents.  Smart kid .